Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 03-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
The Mosin action can be a bitch to open after firing a 7.62x54 round. Would it not be worse with a 45-70?
Why do so many people seem to have that problem? I clean the chambers once and a while and have almost zero problems. A loose connecting bar (fork end) could cause a problem, but that's an easy fix.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
RetVet
Statistical Error

Every one of my Mosins exhibit this symptom and they are all squeaky clean. I believe even the Russian field manuals noted the proper way to open the bolt after firing was a firm upward slap to the bolt handle.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
Rick in NY
Resident Nuisance

Well, given that the base diameter (not rim) is almost the same (0.489 for the MN, 0.505 for the 45-70) the major factor of bolt thrust is then pressure.

The 7.62x54R runs at 57,000 psi, while the 45-70 goes to 28,000 (SAAMI specs)

That gives the Mosin 3,407# bolt thrust vs 1,785# bolt thrust for a 45-70.

Between just over half the bolt thrust and better QC on cutting the chamber, I don't forsee any issues opening it after a shot.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
RetVet
Statistical Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in NY View Post
Well, given that the base diameter (not rim) is almost the same (0.489 for the MN, 0.505 for the 45-70) the major factor of bolt thrust is then pressure.

The 7.62x54R runs at 57,000 psi, while the 45-70 goes to 28,000 (SAAMI specs)

That gives the Mosin 3,407# bolt thrust vs 1,785# bolt thrust for a 45-70.

Between just over half the bolt thrust and better QC on cutting the chamber, I don't forsee any issues opening it after a shot.
Good point.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #20
Rick in NY
Resident Nuisance

No problem, and don't ever hesitate to warn me that I may have overlooked some issue somewhere. I'd much rather be reminded 99 times of something that I was already aware of than to overlook that one important detail that could be the difference between a good shot and a ka-boom.
Rick in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
Every one of my Mosins exhibit this symptom and they are all squeaky clean. I believe even the Russian field manuals noted the proper way to open the bolt after firing was a firm upward slap to the bolt handle.
Try tightening up the fork end of the connecting bar. Take the slack out of it. Believe it or not, that does work, sometimes.

Brian
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #22
Rew

You very well could be right right Czubek. But I don't have any idea what the "fork end of the connecting bar" is. I do know the bolt handle is too short to provide much leverage. Considering it's a cock on opining action, and a rimmed cartridge which is harder to extract and a really short bolt handle, it can be rather hard to work the bolt some times.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #23
bounce
Senile Member

I've got it.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
Boris

I own 2,a 1929 (I think) 91/30 and a 42 M38 with a M44 lammy stock,,both bolts seems to lock up on em too,I actually tried what Brian is describing with the bolts and it seemed to help,I took the bolt apart on my 91/30 accidently at first and cleaned it very thourghly and that also seemed to help,they were very thick with grease and I cleaned it all out and sprayed silicone lubricant on it instead,problem solved,,at least for now,,ok rifles I guess but I would trade 10 of em for a Swedish Mauser,,20 if the mauser had a tiger striped stock

Patrick Henry
Boris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
DirtySteve
Starship Legend Champion

Gotta be Russian about it when working the bolt.
DirtySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #26
bounce
Senile Member

treat her like a woman.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #27
yyz

i don't know if this qualifies as having a mosin addiction, but i once did the happy dance in the fargo nd gander mountain when i found an izhevsk m44 with a 1943 date. at the moment i have 10 mn of various types. hmm i need a couple more....
Old 03-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #28
TinmanIA
Demon of the Midwest
Disc Dash Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Railway Line Champion

I have virtually no action issues when using Winchester white box. Silver Bear is a little tricky, and Wolf is a bieoch to open the bolt up after firing.
TinmanIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #29
Longcolt6

Yep,I got the mosin cravings , dont know why? just pick one up at the gun show last week, it felt good. Then I started doing my homework and study on em, now I cant stop. Felt like an old kentucky long gun when I picked it up. the dealer at the show let me go thru the 10 or 12 boxes he had. I pick a 1939 91/30 Tula, round reciever mainly looking at the wood grain of the stock, now all the hisory behind those old Dragoons has got me hooked. I may have a couple more before my curiosity subsides??

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not" ~ Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and goverment, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first" ~ Thomas Jefferson
Longcolt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #30
Rew

Good for you Harry, they are a good rifle, they were built for Russian peasant troops. They are very simple and robust. The 7.62x54R is in the 30-06 class. This round is still used today in belt fed machine guns and Russian sniper rifles. For a round introduced (if I'm correct here) in 1891, that's a pretty good career.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote