Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Camping, Backpacking, Outdoor Survival Skills
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 09-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
RTO

ant Fire ants

I am getting ready to plant a fall garden so today I weeded the garden and while doing so I found a colony of fire ants, the hard way. I'm glad that I am not allergic to then.

I need some help with ridding the garden of fire ants. I don't want to use pesticides for obvious reasons. Ideas?

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Sevin dust is safe to use in a garden. I would zap them with that.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
RTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Sevin dust is safe to use in a garden. I would zap them with that.
I forgot about that. I have some in stock too and normally use it in the fenced area for the dogs for flea control.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
aviator
unum de multis

Soap and water works well too. Boric Acid is as natural as it comes, mix it with sugar and pour on the colony.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Gus

Diatomaceous earth like used in swimming pool filters.

I used it in Texas and ruined there day.

Safe for pets an cheep.

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceou...-Fire-Ant.html
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
OneShot729
Breakout Champion

Found this site a while back while trying to find something for those stupid wanna be ladybugs. Lots of good info here.

pestproducts.com
OneShot729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I've got a cure for ya.
At least it works on the red and black ants where I live.
The stuff is called Fly Bayte.
I comes as small, orange crystals.

I sprinkle about a teaspoon of it down in the hole.
Before they can haul it back out, I gently wash it DOWN the hole with water.
Keep pouring water until it is all in the hole, so that it will disolve and create a gas, or something.
Sometimes, if the queen and all the workers are not killed, I have to do it again.

Seems it works best if during the final water pour, the hole plugs up, at the top.

Don't ask me WHY it works, I tried it as an experiment, from what I had left over that I used to use in the barn, when I had critters, to control flies.
Also found, in the barn, that it was most effective when wet.

I hope it works for you, if you try it.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
RTO

That is a lot of good ideas. I knew about some of them and had forgotten. I got desperate this afternoon after getting so many bites and knew that there would be help here. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
Sanders

Oxygen and acetylene work pretty good, too. Just hope you don't get any ants on you when the ground explodes.

I have some diatomacious earth I use in my food storage - work it into the beans or whole grains and it will kill any weevils that might hatch... just rinse when ready to eat.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
SIXPACK
RIP America 1776-2012

Fireants, another unwanted afreakan import!

I had my first encounter with those nasty things whem I lived in Myrtle Beach. It didn't matter what I used to destroy their nest, they just moved it to a different location. There was a kit that we used on golf courses, though I can't remember what it was. But it had a hollow rod with a tee-handle and squeeze trigger, you would push the rod as deep as you could, then slowly pull it out as you squeezed the trigger. This was the only way we could actually kill a nest.

Maybe someone will know what this product is.

Peaceful, but prepared.

........ "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be
disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The
supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the
sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and
constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can
be, on any pretense, raised in the United States."

...........................Noah Webster, 1787
SIXPACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXPACK View Post
Fireants, another unwanted afreakan import!

I had my first encounter with those nasty things whem I lived in Myrtle Beach. It didn't matter what I used to destroy their nest, they just moved it to a different location. There was a kit that we used on golf courses, though I can't remember what it was. But it had a hollow rod with a tee-handle and squeeze trigger, you would push the rod as deep as you could, then slowly pull it out as you squeezed the trigger. This was the only way we could actually kill a nest.

Maybe someone will know what this product is.
Was it something like a Ross root feeder? I use one of those to feed the roots of sickly trees. I have a Pin Oak tree that I give iron injections a couple of times a year.

You put whatever your want to inject into the clear plastic container, and you attach your garden hose to it. Then you turn it on as you push it into the ground, injecting the chemical.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #12
SIXPACK
RIP America 1776-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Was it something like a Ross root feeder? I use one of those to feed the roots of sickly trees. I have a Pin Oak tree that I give iron injections a couple of times a year.

You put whatever your want to inject into the clear plastic container, and you attach your garden hose to it. Then you turn it on as you push it into the ground, injecting the chemical.
Similar, but with a squeeze lever to spray the insecticide at the core of the nest.
SIXPACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
FalconUruguay
Cranky Fat Bastard
Bloody Rage Champion, spankthemonkey Champion

Cream Of Wheat Works Well Also...Sprinkle On The Mound Directly.

Ants Take It Back To The Queen, She Eats It, Drinks Water...Cream Of Wheat Expands And Kills Her, Along With Any Other Ant That Eats It.

And Diatomaceous Earth Works Well On All Insects!
FalconUruguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconUruguay View Post
Cream Of Wheat Works Well Also...Sprinkle On The Mound Directly.

Ants Take It Back To The Queen, She Eats It, Drinks Water...Cream Of Wheat Expands And Kills Her, Along With Any Other Ant That Eats It.

And Diatomaceous Earth Works Well On All Insects!
I remember you suggesting Diatomaceous Earth a while back Falcon ... I tried it after that an knocked hell out of those little turds

Per some literature about Diatomaceous Earth it said it's absolutely safe for humans and animals. I even read were some third world people eat it to kill off some kind of critter in their innards.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Diatomaceous Earth has microscopic, jagged edges that will make tiny cuts on the outside of insects that crawl over it. It won't harm humans or pets. It will cause insects to dehydrate and die. It's a safe way to kill ticks, fleas, ants, Japanese beetles, and other pests that are living in your backyard and garden.

However, like Sevin, it will kill other insects that you might want to live in your garden. It will kill ladybugs, butterflies, bees, and other friendly and beneficial insects. So you don't want to apply it during certain periods of gardening season.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote