Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 06-09-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
drunkrussian

Default Any of you guys fly fish?

I've become obsessed with fly fishing as of late. After reading about the actual fishing, and the type of adventure spirit associated with it this is something I want to do. On top of it, fathers day is coming up, and I figure my old man got me into the outdoors, so i'm going to return the favor. I'm going to buy father/son fly combos. He too, has never fly fished so I need some help.

So my big question is, can any of you reccomend a good combo to start with? I've been looking at Cabelas, and the reviews on some of the lower price combos are good. But, I trust you all's opinions over anyone else online. I'm looking for a 8wt, for mostly for the bass, and if we want to go to the coast in the future we can get some salt water reels. So any help would be great.

A couple side notes/stories. My dad recently gave me one of his old Shimano baitcasters, and I mean old bait caster, no fancy anti-backlash system. I think he was pretty impressed how fast I caught on. I used nothing buy spinning gear since I grew out of my Snoopy spincast. I felt really good, but you know, I made sure to let him know I had a good teacher.

Also if any of you NC, SC, or VA guys fly fish, and don't mind helping out, i'm sure we wouldn't mind meeting you somewhere to give us some instruction.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less " - Robert E. Lee
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I fly fish, among other type of fishing. I used to fly fish a lot more when I canoed instead of kayaking. It is next to impossible to cast flys in a kayak. I still like to walk small streams and cast for panfish.

The two most important pieces in fly casting is the line and the rod.

A Fenwick, Browning, or one of the better Cabellas rods will be just fine. You don't have to buy a G. Loomis, Orvis, or Sage fly rod to catch a fish.

You can spend $250 - $500 or more for a Sage or Orvis reel, but functionally, they won't work any better than a $35 - $50 reel from Cabellas. Don't buy an ultra cheap steel, aluminum, or plastic reel though.

A decent fly line will cost at least $25-$30.

I have a Courtland graphite reel and a Browning Gold Medalion AFTMA 5-6 WT rod that is 8' long.

Don't go to someplace like Walmart, or similar discount store and expect to get a fly fishing outfit that is worth a crap though.

A good fly rod case is a wise purchase to protect your investment.

I suggest getting a decent book on fly fishing. Get one that will show how to tie on the leader, how to cast, how to dress your fly line, etc.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

If you get into fly fishing seriously, you will be getting a vest. In the vest you will carry several different leaders in a leader wallet, a leader straightener, boxes of flies, knot tying tools, forceps, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get into tying flies. That is another hobby all in itself.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
drunkrussian

Thanks Pogo. Like I was saying, i'm really interested in this, and looking forward to the challange. I already bought the Orvis fly fishing book, and another "eveything you need to know" type of book. I've been reading all I can.

And yes, I am staying away from any combos from a Wal-Mart, or Dicks. Fly shops, or Cabelas is where i'll most likely buy from.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

I tried fishing for flies once, but didn't get one bite.

Brian
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
Any of you guys fly fish?
Nope, and I even gave up flying kites.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

PoGo.... shouldn't your fly-rod photo have the traditional red/pink backdrop ??

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose`K-47
PoGo.... shouldn't your fly-rod photo have the traditional red/pink backdrop ??
Are you trying to tell me something?

Actually, I just took it out of the case and laid it on my back deck and took a picture. But the sun was so bright, the picture really sucked. So I brought it in and laid it on the kitchen floor and took the picture.

Y'all ought to take up fly fishing. There is a real art to casting a fly.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
10 Bears

Actually I have tried fly fishing.
I have an old Harrad-Ibodson fly rod.
Somehow my reel has found a new home.
Can't find that fly reel anywhere.

I have a real close friend that says:
"I have taken the fly fisherman's oath, I will NEVER use bait, only flies that I have personally tied!"

He means it too. You should see his fly tying operation.
He can whip out a new fly in just a few minutes.
His prices start at $2.50 per fly.
IF you can get him to set down and tie them for you.

He is a Commercial Plumber, by trade.
I have a feeling if/when he retires and ever needs supplemental income, it will come from those bits of string, feathers and hooks.

He is also, allmost, as deaf as I am.
When the wife and I go over there to visit we are usually relagated to the "shop" because we're too noisy!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I've got a fly vice, and the scissors, the dressing, the comb, and all the tools for tying a fly. I've made a few, pretty decent I thought. But real purists would laugh at my fly, even though mine would probably catch as many as those made by "experts".

Fly fishing can be a real snob hobby, or it can be one for enjoyment. I'm one of the latter.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #11
partssmans wife
DDB Prankster

I tried it once but their wings kept falling off, go figure
partssmans wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:43 AM   #12
10 Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by partssmans wife
I tried it once but their wings kept falling off, go figure
Wings on a fly are like fins on a fish.
Ya cut 'em off anyway.

Onliest kinds of wings folks eat are chicken wings and Buffalo wings.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #13
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears
Wings on a fly are like fins on a fish.
Ya cut 'em off anyway.
So if you cut the wings off of a fly.... would you call it a "walk" ??
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #14
hangfire
Home on the range

I've been thinking of getting another flyrod myself. Years ago I used to knock the shit out of huge bluegill on shallow beds in the spring with a small black foam spider with rubber legs! Plumb wore my ass out catching them!!
hangfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
Karl/PA
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm not a fly fisherman, not that fond of trout anyway, but I do fish with a fly rod. I'm what we used to call in the old days, "a bugger," meaning I fish with bass bugs, poppers, streamers and such. Need longer, slightly heavier rods and little or no line taper for this type of fishing. And lots of room for the backcast. This is usually done from a boat or wading tidal flats. Its really fun when you fish a heavy weed bed or thick lily pads. In that case, you use a popper with the hook turned up. You lose more that way, but its about the only way to fish these beds.

Alcohol is a perfect solvent: It dissolves marriages, families and careers.
Karl/PA is offline   Reply With Quote