Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Foxhole Area > Members Photographs
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Members Photographs This area is for photographs taken by forum members and their families and friends.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Default Katydid

I noticed a Katydid while I was watering a flower. They are difficult to see when you are walking past them. They blend right in.

There are several different varieties of Katydids.

Katydid by John Danley, on Flickr
Old 08-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
dinkydow

I am going to have to get a macro lens for my Nikon. I watched a Walking Stick on a porch rail a few days ago and tried to get a close up...Didn't work. A blur. You simply must have the right tools for the job.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
I am going to have to get a macro lens for my Nikon. I watched a Walking Stick on a porch rail a few days ago and tried to get a close up...Didn't work. A blur. You simply must have the right tools for the job.
You can use a close up rings for small detail photography. You put the rings between the camera and a normal lens to magnify an object but it isn't as good as a lens made for that job. I use special macro lens. I have both a 105mm macro lens and a 200mm macro lens.

Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
dinkydow

I have a Tamaron 80-350, zoom f2/8, lens I purchased in Tokyo that has a Konica adapter on on it for a Konica 35mm SLR camera that was eventually stolen from me by a cocksucker motherfucker. I just found a Tamaron adapter to mate it to my Nikon DSLR. I know the auto focus wont work with this lens as it has no internal motor to focus. I expect I will have to both focus and to stop down the aperture before taking the shot. I never thought I would be able to use it for anything but a paperweight...I am happy.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
I have a Tamaron 80-350, zoom f2/8, lens I purchased in Tokyo that has a Konica adapter on on it for a Konica 35mm SLR camera that was eventually stolen from me by a cocksucker motherfucker. I just found a Tamaron adapter to mate it to my Nikon SLR digital camera. I know the auto focus wont work with this lens as it has no internal motor to focus. I expect I will have to both focus and to stop down the aperture before taking the shot. I never thought I would be able to use it for anything but a paperweight...I am happy.
A standard zoom lens probably won't focus close enough to an object to work as a macro lens.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
THE DUDE

They are everywhere here, early too. All sorts of colors and sizes.

Same with the walking sticks, there's more of them around then you think.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #7
dinkydow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
A standard zoom lens probably won't focus close enough to an object to work as a macro lens.
THAT I know. I just have had this excellent piece of Tamaron glass sitting on a shelf that an asshole, dope addict, so-called "friend" named Andrew, who fled to Casper Wyoming, didn't manage to steal...and have been wanting to get some use out of it.

I expect to soon buy the kind of glass I need to be filled with joy at clicking at small bugs and such.

I see that Amazon has a number of refurbished Nikor lenses listed for sale. I think I might go that route.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

You want to get at least a 100mm macro. 60mm won't cut it.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:04 PM   #9
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

That first pic intrigued me.
Katydid did what it's ghost rider said to do.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
dinkydow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
You want to get at least a 100mm macro. 60mm won't cut it.

Roger that.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Tokina has a 100mm macro that is about half the price of a Nikkor. It will focus as close as 12". It will work with both a DX format and a FX format camera.

It is highly rated by Ken Rockwell who reviews cameras and lens. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/100mm-f28.htm

I haven't used a Tokina macro lens but I have a Tokina wide angle lens and it produces a very sharp image. So I wouldn't be afraid of buying a Tokina. Amazon has it for $379. https://www.amazon.com/Tokina-100mm-.../dp/B000CMNL52

Or you could buy a 100mm Nikkor macro lens. $896.95 https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Micro-N...dp_ob_title_ce

My 100mm Nikkor is an older one without VR (vibration reduction). It will work just as well but you have to hold the lens very steady or use a high shutter speed. KEH has a used 105mm non VR like mine for $432. https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-105mm...WN0aAtYY8P8HAQ

My 200mm Nikkor lens is amazing, but it is quite expensive. $1,791.95. https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Micro-N.../dp/B00006I5J5

If you buy a used lens make sure you buy a US version, not an international one. If an international one breaks you might have a hard time getting it repaired in the US.

Nikkor Macro Lens by John Danley, on Flickr
Old 08-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
dinkydow

I had a Nikkor 50-350 zoom lens I purchased in Tokyo for my Nikon F...along with a fitted leather case that enclosed both it and the Nikon it was mounted on. Lost them both in a car fire in 1972. That Nikkor lens had an amazingly low f number and back then, it listed for $1500.00 in the USA. In Tokyo it was $350.00. The salesman in the camera store right off the Ginza tossed the leather case in. Hell I spent over $3000.00 in one day there. I had a list of lenses, etc., that the guys wanted me to pick up for them. ....as I was on leave there. I was traveling heavy....when I walked out of that toy store.

The Navy BX at Yokuska was a fucking dreamland of toys.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

You can buy Nikon stuff in Asia for great prices. Last time I was in Korea right before I left I bought a lot of Nikon equipment in Osan and mailed it back to my wife. I saved a lot of money that way. I've since replaced most of it for newer equipment but I got a good trade in allowance out of it.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #14
dinkydow

Back in 1970....while in Vietnam, I purchased a lot of camera gear through the PACEX catalog and had it delivered to my folks house. BIG stereo speakers (which I still have) A 200 watt stereo receiver, (I still have) a Gerrard turntable which I scrapped out long ago. And a ton of camera gear.

The US customs was freaking out over the camera gear I purchased and told my Dad that I would have to grind of all the trademarks on my gear. He told them...: "OK...I'll get right on that."

The customs cops also fucked with me some, for having all the camera gear scattered through my duffel bag.... when I rotated back to the states on PCS leave.