Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 06-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
wc846

Default Any of you guys have a fishin boat?

If you do what kind is it and how do you like it? I'm kickin around the idea of getting something but i don't have a clue on whats good or bad.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:21 AM   #2
Cephus
The OLD COOT one and only

Don't get one that is blow up the hooks are murder on them !!!!! LOL
THAT IS BLOOD

Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
75_stingray
388ci Bored & Stroked SB
Target Champion

WC, I've had a V-20 Center Console WellCraft w/a 200 Merc which was a very nice, open, dry fishing machine. I can say nothing bad about a WellCraft.

I also bought one of Boston Whalers 15ft Jet Boats but sold it shortly after I got married."Should have gotten rid of her before I got rid of my BW".
IMHO you will never go wrong with buying a Boston Whaler as they hold they're resale value quite nicely.

I'll have to vote Boston Whaler!

There will always be a large group of people that will be preyed upon, consumed by predators just like in a school of fish.
Some fish don't venture out into the deep water, others do so only when they've developed big teeth, but most just swim along looking at how blue the water is.
(GN Member)
75_stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I've got a 17' Smoker Craft with a 50 HP motor. I haven't used it perhaps 10 years. In fact, I think the 50 HP motor has less than 20-30 hours on it. The first few years I used it I had a 28 HP motor on it, and it just wouldn't push it around fast enough.

But, I got into canoing and then kayaking, and just don't use the motorized boat anymore. If I ever got back into fishing on Eagle Lake or the Lake of the Woods in Canada, I'd probably fix it up and use it again.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
75_stingray
388ci Bored & Stroked SB
Target Champion

As long as you're not going into heavy swells on open ocean a Carolina skiff is a very hard boat to beat.

Nine outta 10 commercial crabbers down here in my neck of the ocean use Carolina Skiffs DLX series. They are supper wide, very sturdy, rugged and they are very well built tough boats. You can't hurt'em! Check'em out.

When I buy another boat it WILL be a Carolina Skiff!
Old 06-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Gus

Depends on what you plan to use it for, off shore and saltwater, river, lake ... round here the outboard most used is Evinrude or Johnson (actually the same thing). As already mentioned Boston Whaler is a durable strong built boat. Lots of people around here use Ranger or Cajun bass boats.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc846
If you do what kind is it and how do you like it? I'm kickin around the idea of getting something but i don't have a clue on whats good or bad.
Good or bad depends on where you are taking it. I have a 15ft Bay Skiff. Think that's the name of the darn thing. "V" bow and flat stern. 75hp Mariner pushing her.
She is good in somewhat ruff water and gets me into some real shallow fishing spots.I think you have to say where you are planning on doing your boating before someone can give advice on which boat?
We took my buddies 20ft. flats boat in the open ocean. WOOPS! WE ain't doing that again.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Tailgunner
MCMLXV

I have a 16' Wellcraft center console with a 75 HP Mercury on it. Nice little one man fishing boat. I'm currently in the process of swapping out the live well/bench seat for a bucket as I use it mostly as a runabout.

Dad has a 21' Bullet bass boat with a Mercury 2.5 liter EFI that hole shots like a drag boat and will top 100 MPH. That one is scary.
Tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
75_stingray
388ci Bored & Stroked SB
Target Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgunner
Dad has a 21' Bullet bass boat with a Mercury 2.5 liter EFI that hole shots like a drag boat and will top 100 MPH. That one is scary.
A couple of my freshwater buddies run STV's on the rivers and lakes, talk about a pucker factor! The only thing in the water is about 6inches of stearn and 3/4's of the prop, the damned things walk on top of the water.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #10
4thIDvet
slug

Damn. That thing looks fast sitting still.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
Karl/PA
Resident Curmudgeon

14' Jon with a wee li'l 6 HP Merc and a 30# Minnkota.

Alcohol is a perfect solvent: It dissolves marriages, families and careers.
Karl/PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:49 AM   #12
wc846

seems like you guys got some nice boats. i was out all day looking and i'm still undecided..Pennsylvania really sucks when it comes to picking a boat because of all the stupid boat horsepower rules. in my area we have 3 different types of lakes. the ones ran by the fish commission have a 10 hp limit, if it run by the state it has a 20 hp limit and if its ran by the army corp of engineers it's unlimited hp..on top of that lake erie is only a few hours away..whew. my problem is i live within 20 miles of all three types.

stingray i envy you. I'd love to be able to go saltwater fishing all the time.

karl, i just might end up with one just like yours too for the 10 hp lakes
wc846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:56 AM   #13
drunkrussian

I have an old aluminum Bass Tracker II w/ 40hp outboard that needs work. When it was running, it was great for the lakes here in the south. Tracker IMO still makes great aluminum boats.

One of my buddies lived in Erie PA, and i've been up there a few times with him. I say if you want a boat for that lake, go deep V. It will be more stable, and will feel safer all season, and during all types of weather. I saw a Ranger that I was very impressed with. Guy had his large hp outboard, smaller hp outboard (forgot the proper term for that engine), and his trolling motor.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less " - Robert E. Lee
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #14
75_stingray
388ci Bored & Stroked SB
Target Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian
Guy had his large hp outboard, smaller hp outboard (forgot the proper term for that engine), and his trolling motor.
A "Kicker".

Dang Wc, they've really got you messed up w/those different hp rules and regs. You would almost need 2 diff boats, one for the regulated areas and one for Lake Erie. That stinks!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #15
Karl/PA
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc846
seems like you guys got some nice boats. i was out all day looking and i'm still undecided..Pennsylvania really sucks when it comes to picking a boat because of all the stupid boat horsepower rules. in my area we have 3 different types of lakes. the ones ran by the fish commission have a 10 hp limit, if it run by the state it has a 20 hp limit and if its ran by the army corp of engineers it's unlimited hp..on top of that lake erie is only a few hours away..whew. my problem is i live within 20 miles of all three types.

stingray i envy you. I'd love to be able to go saltwater fishing all the time.

karl, i just might end up with one just like yours too for the 10 hp lakes
Look around and talk to some folks. There are a lot of 15 HP Mercs on the 10 HP lakes. You can get the 9.9 decals on ebay and at some dealers.
Karl/PA is offline   Reply With Quote