Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 04-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
Sanders

Default Cartridge of the Century: The .38 Smith & Wesson Special

Quote:
Most stories begin at the beginning. To tell the story of the .38 Smith & Wesson Special cartridge, however, it’s necessary to go quite a ways back, before the beginning, back before metallic cartridge firearms entirely.

Certain bore diameters that are still with us today became standard back in the day when muzzleloading smoothbores were still measured in “gauge” or “bore”. Those numbers signified the number of round lead balls of that bore diameter it took to make a pound. The .72” caliber “12-bore” is, of course, was popular among 18th Century frontstuffers and is still with us as a shotgun gauge. However, 50-, 60-, 100-, and 150-bore live on as well, as those work out to the bore diameters we all know today.

It’s the 100-bore size that became popular in Colt’s first revolving percussion pistol, the .36 caliber Paterson revolver. When the Republic of Texas Navy ordered 180 .36 Patersons, it represented Sam Colt’s first big martial sale. The bore size continued to be used in the Colt 1851 “Navy” revolvers that were common in the post-Civil War West and, eventually, was formalized in the first double-action revolver with a solid frame and swing-out cylinder to be general issue in the U.S. military, the Colt M1892.

The cartridge chambered in this revolver was known as the .38 Long Colt, and its big combat debut in the Spanish-American War was less than stellar. Smith & Wesson, who was working on a new revolver that would have been chambered for the service cartridge, immediately changed their plans.
Rest of the story here: http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/hi...esson-special/

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
slug

Thanks Sir...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
Railbuggy

My first revolver was a Italian SA .357 with a 6.5" barrel back when I was 18. All I shot from it were 38 special reloads I got @ $4 a box. $3.50 if I returned the brass. This was 1973.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
THE DUDE

i have a few in 38 S&W special . not the most powerful bout it would probably get the job done.

A lot of people still get it confused with everyday .38 special , which is nowhere near the dimensions/loading of the 38sw.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #5
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

The little .38 S&W round was the one hated in the Philippines.
No stopping power.

I've had a few and a lady traded me out of one.
Dang, she kept me busy furnishing reloads until she finally traded it off.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
Dannyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
The little .38 S&W round was the one hated in the Philippines.
No stopping power.
That was the reason for the development and adoption of the 1911 in .45 ACP! Soldiers were reporting the dismal failure of the .38 round to stop the Moros (Moslems). Many people don't know the original cartridge put forth for testing was a 200 grain FMJ round nose bullet but the Army stated they wanted a heavier bullet. So by the time the Army adopted the pistol, the cartridge had evolved into the round we know so well today.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
THE DUDE

the turds would wrap wire around their arms/legs so if they got shot they wouldn't bleed a whole lot cause the wounding properties of the 38sw was pretty pathetic.

I even heard of this pre-internet existing from a teacher who's grandfather fought in the philippines.
THE DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #8
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
That was the reason for the development and adoption of the 1911 in .45 ACP! Soldiers were reporting the dismal failure of the .38 round to stop the Moros (Moslems). Many people don't know the original cartridge put forth for testing was a 200 grain FMJ round nose bullet but the Army stated they wanted a heavier bullet. So by the time the Army adopted the pistol, the cartridge had evolved into the round we know so well today.
That's right.