Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
neilin

Default Tumbling Brass

Before reloading my empty brass, I tumble clean it in ground corn cobs. I have read that some reloaders tumble their brass in ground corn cobs and mineral spirits. My question is will the mineral spirits leave a residue inside the cleaned brass cases?
neilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Here's what I do when using corn-cob:

With your tumbler having only corn-cob media in it (no brass), turn the tumbler on, and pour a few drizzles of liquid car-wax in there. I use Turtle Wax, you can get it at most stores for around three bucks. Anyway, let it vibrate around in there until the clumps disappear. Then add your brass. This will shine the brass to a much higher luster than the corn-cob will do by itself, and does not comrpromise the strength of the brass (like Brasso has been rumored to do).

If you don't let the clumps disappear first, sometimes a ball of waxy media will jam itself into a shell-casing, and piss you off.

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

I haven't heard of using mineral spirits before and other than possibly being something of a degreaser, don't see much value in it. But this may just be my ignorance.

You really have two ways to go with tumbling brass. 1. Do you want clean brass, i.e. free of oil, dirt, etc. 2. Or do you want clean and polished, i.e. same as #1 but also polished to shiny luster?

Personally, I always go for #2 because shiny brass is both pretty AND easier to find if you shoot any automatics that throw the fired cases all over hell's half acre.

Midway and others sell TREATED corn cob and TREATED walnut hulls which will both clean and polish your brass to golden shine. And they sell a media restoring solution you can add to "revive" your media after it doesn't polish so good...just like Moon is talking about. Ounce for ounce, it's about the same price, I think, as Moon's suggestion...but do use either as he suggests.

However, there is a catch to adding anything to your media to revive and restore it's cleaning/polishing powers. That is the corn cob or walnut hulls simply wear out and get so rounded and beat down that their ability to do much for your brass goes south. Tumbling times go up and up as the media goes down and down.

I've gotten to the point where I honestly don't mess with trying to replace the polishing qualities to my media for this reason. I use the stuff till it doesn't work to suite me and then pitch it and add fresh to my tumbler. Saves time and hassle but it is a bit wasteful. Still I don't think the adding polish or whatever gets you more than a couple extra tumbles and they will take longer because your media is wearing out and getting dirty. JMHO

If you haven't tried a "treated media," do so. You'll be delighted with results. Normal brass comes out looking as good or better than factory new in about 20 minutes in my tumbler.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I use walnut media. I sometimes add polish, not always though.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Railbuggy

I have used rice myself and it works.Ammonia is what YOU DON'T WANT TO GET ON YOUR BRASS.I will try the car wax trick as it is common knowlage now.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
flutedchamber

A great job can be done with stainless steel pins, hot water and Ivory dish washing liquid. It cleans the cases inside and out and they look like new...no dirt or tarnish ANYWHERE.

Just mix the detergent with hot water, pour in your Thumlers Tumbler, add the pins and brass and tumble for 4-6 hours (depending on how dirty the brass is).

Pour the whole mess in a colander and rinse with hot tap water. Shake the colander a few times, pour out on a cookie sheet and let dry. You can speed the drying with a heat lamp or an oven set very low.

Except for extractor marks, etc you cannot tell the brass from new..even the bullet sealant on military brass is gone (even on 50 BMG).
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935
flutedchamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

FC - Don't you have to have an actual tumbler like one for rock polishing to use the SS media? The SS pins won't work in a vibrating tumbler will it?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Some asshole told me one time to throw a bunch of BB's in the tumbler. I ain't ever tested it out.
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
flutedchamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
FC - Don't you have to have an actual tumbler like one for rock polishing to use the SS media? The SS pins won't work in a vibrating tumbler will it?
Yes you do. Thumlers makes them.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
flutedchamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
Some asshole told me one time to throw a bunch of BB's in the tumbler. I ain't ever tested it out.
BB's might clean the outside of the cases but it won't fit in extractor grooves or very well on the inside without jamming in place.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

BB's don't sound like a real good idea. I reckon almost anything will clean brass if you tumble it long enough. But with the right stuff you can do a tumbler full in about 20 minutes. IMHO media should have little pointy edges and stuff to work good. That's why the corn cob etc wears out.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #12
oneshot

The purpose of mineral spirits is to allow the added polish to soak into the media.

But Mineral Spirits is flammable.

Here is a safer formula:

http://www.dirtydozensbunker.com/showthread.php?t=64490
Old 02-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
IRWildman
Banned

Location: The Greatest State in the union ARIZONA, we will check your "papers" "

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutedchamber View Post
A great job can be done with stainless steel pins, hot water and Ivory dish washing liquid. It cleans the cases inside and out and they look like new...no dirt or tarnish ANYWHERE.

Just mix the detergent with hot water, pour in your Thumlers Tumbler, add the pins and brass and tumble for 4-6 hours (depending on how dirty the brass is).

Pour the whole mess in a colander and rinse with hot tap water. Shake the colander a few times, pour out on a cookie sheet and let dry. You can speed the drying with a heat lamp or an oven set very low.
where do you get your stainless pins ? how much $$$ for how many pounds ?
IRWildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
flutedchamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRWildman View Post
where do you get your stainless pins ? how much $$$ for how many pounds ?
I'm on my way out for today. I'll measure mine and post later tonight.

I bought my pins as a part of a mass buy. Most anyone who deals in SS wire will cut the pins to your specified length...but usually there is a 50 pound minimum or so.
All I have used is 5 pounds and they never wear out. My pins cost not more than $35 including shipping.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutedchamber View Post
I'm on my way out for today. I'll measure mine and post later tonight.

I bought my pins as a part of a mass buy. Most anyone who deals in SS wire will cut the pins to your specified length...but usually there is a 50 pound minimum or so.
All I have used is 5 pounds and they never wear out. My pins cost not more than $35 including shipping.
Do you use a vibrating or rotary tumbler?
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote