Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 01-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
MEAT
Fat Old Fart

Default Without Starting A War....

I would like to get your opinions.

Background: I haven't reloaded in about 30 years, and I want to get back into it again. I still have my RCBS Rock Chucker press, but was thinking of upgrading to a fancy new fangled progressive model. They ain't cheap the man told me, and he is right. I also know that it will never "pay for itself", that is not the reason, maybe I am just lazy and want to have something to pass on to my kids.

Problem: I have researched the net and am looking at the Dillon XL650 and the Hornady Lock N Load Ammo Plant.

Anybody here have one or the other and what is your opinion of them?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
slug

Guns are bad

and anything related to them is bad too...

F B H O says so...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
hangfire
Home on the range

I don't see the advantage of a progressive press unless you use new cases for rifles cause you might have to trim the cases after you size them. Just my thought.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

MEAT I use the Lee turret press for all reloading. My shell holders are pre set and just drop onto the turret. Next caliber just change the preset shell holder turret with that caliber.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-presses/

I can do a few hundred rounds and hour which is all I need. A high end progressive would be nice but I don't shoot enough to warrant one.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
hangfire
Home on the range

Quote:
MEAT I use the Lee turret press for all reloading. My shell holders are pre set and just drop onto the turret. Next caliber just change the preset shell holder turret with that caliber.
Me too. All I need. But I do use an RCBS single for loading match ammo for my M-14.
hangfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangfire View Post
Me too. All I need. But I do use an RCBS single for loading match ammo for my M-14.

Oh God yes hangfire it was like night and day the change from my RCBS single stage. Hell I was spending half the time setting the damn dies. Now with but a few minor adjustments from batches of shells their ready to roll and make bullets.
Without straining I could do a 1,000 rounds case in a day if I put to it.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I have two rock chuckers, and a variety of dies to load over 30 calibers.
Need an excuse, don't really have one any more.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #8
RetVet
Statistical Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-presses/

I can do a few hundred rounds and hour which is all I need. A high end progressive would be nice but I don't shoot enough to warrant one.
I use the same kind of setup. Those preset holders are the way to go. I have them for all calibers I'm currently reloading for.

I have a Dillon RL450 bought back in 82 and still boxed, never used. If and when I ever get around to using it it will be for one caliber only and for blaster ammo like 7.62x39.

Probably didn't help answer your questions, but....
Old 01-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #9
Sanders

I have the Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press. It will do everything the Dillon will do for a lot less money, and has a no-BS warranty. Folks I know who use them, are happy with the Lee Progressive press, too. It just seemed pretty light weight to me. The Hornady is beefier. When I was shopping for presses, I had the money for the Dillon you mentioned, but went with the Hornady, instead.

Once you get it set up and adjusted, which is the most time consuming, things go pretty smoothly. Your dies lock into removable bushings which means you don't have to adjust them if you take them out and then put them back in.

There's just something about being able to knock out 100 rounds of ammo in an hour that is quite satisfying.

That said, I don't trust the progressive system 100%. I still stop and check powder throws every 5th round. I check the cartridge OAL every 5th, to make sure everything is seating properly. Check the primers to make sure they are primed, etc.

Plus, before I even start, I check case length and for damage.

Now, as a caveat, I have not done any rifle rounds on it, yet. I would rather full length size and deprime the cases on my Rock Chucker first so I can inspect and trim if needed - especially military cases.

A progressive press is nice and saves a lot of time, but I see where a person can get real stupid with one if they don't pay attention.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
4thIDvet
slug

Very good points Sanders. I think the key for whatever your using is take your time and check what the hell your doing. Powder loads, primer seating, OAL, crimp and then I run them in a case length gauge before their ready to roll.
Unless I am showing someone a quick view on how simple it is to load rounds I don't want anyone in the room, like no distractions.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #11
baboon
slug

I bought a used Dillion SDB & hated it! Still have the 40 year old Rockchucker!
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #12
MEAT
Fat Old Fart

Gentlemen, I thank you for your thoughts. Right now I am still building my new reloading room and it will be a week or two before I come to a decision.*

* Of course all of this depends upon how much more shit skin violates the constitution.
MEAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #13
enloe

I have a RCBS jr. that my wife got me when I graduated college. It belonged to one of my best friends dads he had owned it for about 25 years. He sold my wife all his stuff for 150.00 about 27 years ago.
Part of the deal was when he needed some ammo I would load it for him

I still have that press and I load a lot of stuff on it.

Now I also have a Dillon 550 right now it is set up for 44 Mag that is the only caliber I load on it. I am going to get set up for more calibers.

Love the 550
enloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
noylj

Simple:
the 650.
However, that is ONLY because you want the case collator and the Hornady had initial problems.
I have three 1050s and STILL don't see a real NEED for a case collator. Maybe if I installed an auto-drive, but I load slow enough to watch everything and it takes almost no time to load a case and bullet with my left hand, as I used to do on the Hornady and can't be done on the Dillon. Then, there are the problems I have with the case collators--they are not trouble-free.
So, unless you really do need a case collator and a bullet feeder, I would start with the standard L-N-L and learn it before I ever went to an ammo-plant.
Next, if I did need a bullet-collator and a case-collator, I would run out and get a 1050 and not even consider a 5 station press.
I want to use an RCBS Lock-Out die or Dillon powder-check die and I want to actually look into the charge case or verify for myself that the powder charge is correct. I don't want a bullet-feed die to stick a bullet on the case before the case has been checked by one of those techniques.
Do you realize how many problems there are with any progressive press, and then adding on bullet- and case-collators and getting them to play nice?
Many love the 550, but it is so far from what the OP thinks he needs, that mentioning it makes no sense in this topic.
Back in the late '70s when I wanted/needed a progressive, my choices were a manual indexing 4-station Dillon or an auto-indexing 5-station Hornady or the very expensive Star press (there were a couple others, but they were very small and very niche and very likely to go out of business in a year to two).
Needless to say, the Hornady met my needs and I have been very happy with that press and the upgrades over the years—until I "fell into" some 1050s.
There were no case-activated powder measures at that time (so, of course, there was no expander/flare part to the measure—but you could use almost any measure you wanted to), just a sliding "powder funnel" that came as part of the powder measure die, so at a minimum I needed:
1) size/deprime
2) expand/flare
3) charge case (manually--had to remember to operate the measure by hand or find myself with an empty case)
4) seat
5) crimp.
Thus, a 4-station press would not do. If they existed, I would have gotten a 6- or 7-station press, as I like options.
Believe me, I went through seat/crimp in one step and I think that lasted until I started running tests of accuracy using that method and separating adding the step on my RockChucker (or it may have been on the Forster Co-Ax I got when I was totally fed-up with the RCBS press throwing spent primers all over the floor and having to unscrew and screw in dies all the time—hurray Co-Ax).
Sorry, but I can imagine how easy it could be to NOT manually index, where as I never had any problem with auto-indexing. Your experience may be different, if you ever used an auto-indexing press.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I have a Dillon 550. It was very useful when I was shooting competitively.

I'm in no hurry to load a thousand rounds now. So I mostly use my Redding single stage press and use an electronic measure to dispense the powder by weight instead of volume, one at a time. I get a lot more consistent ammo that way.

I have a few other presses and a couple of shot shell loaders as well. Everyone thinks the loader they use is the best. They all do a good job if you are meticulous in setting them up and watch what you are doing. Don't listen to music or talk to a friend while are loading. Keep your mind on the task at hand.