Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #31
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

With larger volume charges, of the slowest burning powder, a half grain won't matter near as much as a half grain in the fastest burning powders with small quantity charges.

Especially with such as Bullseye and Reddot powders.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #32
oneshot

Everything on my loading bench is LEE red EXCEPT my RCBS hand primer. I use the RCBS hand primer because it uses regular shell holders.

I prime off the press. I have 2 Lee Pro 1000 with the case and bullet feeder set up. NO problems. Very accurate ammo produced for handguns.

I do all rifle on either a three hole turret or a single stage breech lock.

Except for the breech lock, my equipment is all older stuff. I did hear that there was some problems with the primer feed on the Pro 1000 but they have since redesigned the feed system.

I originally started reloading over 40 years ago with what is now called the Classic Lee Loader.

Dillon is nice, but way out of my price league. A friend has one that I have used.

I would rather spend the money on powder and primers. I cast my own bullets and when I was using Lee six cavity molds and selling bullets on E-bay, I had several folks that wanted 4000 a month because they called them, " the best bullets they ever bought" They were lubed with my own formula.

I am retired an I sold enough bullets that I was able to buy a used 19 foot boat with a 120hp I/O from bullet sales profit. (Shows that the Lee mold do hold up)

I think anything in reloading boils down to diligence and repetition.

My Lee tools each load about 6000 rounds a year. Do your maintenance. Clean the presses and lube them. I did have to replace the plastic index cog on the Pro 1000 once in the last 10 years.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #33
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Lees are definitely a good value in reloading equipment. Right now I am using a Dillon progressive reloader, and I have a Lyman turret, and a Redding O frame for loading my 45-70 and .300 Win Mag. I also have an old Hornaday C Press that I use sometimes to deprime cases with.

Almost all of the equipment will get the job done right. Some equipment is easier and faster to use than others. But in the end, the best loads are made by someone who takes his time, measures he power exactly and makes uniform crimps on the finished cartridge.

One tool that Lee makes that stands heads and sholders above all other manufacturers is their factory crimp die. I use their factory crimp die with all of my die sets from other manufacturers.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:34 AM   #34
oneshot

Great Die. I have one for every caliber I load.
oneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:25 AM   #35
Railbuggy

I have a Mec600jr in 12ga and the Lee single stage set up for 45acp.
Just added a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt to my colection and have ordered the dies and brass from Wideners.Been thinking about the Lee Classic Turret press as I like the idea of haveing a terret for each cal.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #36
SirShoot-A-Lot

If the Lee turret press is made to the same standards as their single-stage presses... I'd stay the hell away from it.

About six months after I bought it, I had a Lee Classic single-stage press fracture while resizing .223 brass. One arm of the press linkage just snapped in half. Yeah, Lee would probably have fixed it, but I didn't feel like putting off a range trip for a week or so waiting on it to ship there and back. Picked up an RCBS Rock Chucker at the local funshop, and haven't had any issues out of it at all.
SirShoot-A-Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #37
Rew

Default I can believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirShoot-A-Lot View Post
If the Lee turret press is made to the same standards as their single-stage presses... I'd stay the hell away from it.

About six months after I bought it, I had a Lee Classic single-stage press fracture while resizing .223 brass. One arm of the press linkage just snapped in half. Yeah, Lee would probably have fixed it, but I didn't feel like putting off a range trip for a week or so waiting on it to ship there and back. Picked up an RCBS Rock Chucker at the local funshop, and haven't had any issues out of it at all.
that, but on the other hand I had an RCBS Rock Chucker fracture the frame while swagging soft lead bullets a week after I got it. Yet had an old Lyman Spartan C-press make thousands of bullets before breaking. Nobody is calling the Rock Chucker a POS. Shit happens ya got a bad Lee and I got a bad RCBS.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #38
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I have an RCBS Jr. AND a Sr.
I keep 'em both set up.
That way I can load one round at a time, step outside and test fire it.
Go back and make what ever changes are necessary.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #39
Peeweester40
Who Dat?

I have had a Lee Loadmaster for almost a year now. I have loaded probably 7-8 thousand rounds in that time, calibers: .243, .223, 40S&W, 357SIG, 9mm, .45ACP. I post size and factory crimp every cartridge. I have not had any issues yet.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #40
OldBob

I bought a Lee Classic Turret about 1 year ago, wish I would have bought it sooner. I still have a Rockchucker and a RCBS Jr. , but the Lee gets most of my attention. It replaced a Lyman TII turret, which replaced a Lyman Spar T and as far as I am concerned, the Lee is much better.......... I don't know that I could say that about their other turrets, but the Classic Cast is good heavy cast iron, has about the same leverage as my Rockchucker and works flawlessly. I have die heads set up in 10 different calibers and switching only takes about15 seconds...... pretty handy.
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats."
-- P.J. O'Rourke
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 AM   #41
357mag

I have a Lee Pro 1000 and a turret. I used to load everything on the turret, but then I got a second hand Pro from a friend so that now is used for my pistol calibers.

The only problem with the Pro is that once you get up to speed, the primers run out, when you topped them up, you forget to turn the case holder and have to fiddle with putting a case in. The weakest point on the Pro is the primer feed, I often crush one or two primers per hundred.
357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:34 AM   #42
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Except when I'm using my Dillon progressive reloader, I prime all of my cases separately with a RCBS bench primer.

I've also got a primer tool that you hold in your hand. To me it's faster and I get a lot more consistent seating of the primer with the bench primer tool.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #43
Frogman

I still have some Herters dies some where in my junk box, some time I'll have to to put them up for sale.
Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote