Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
Glock AK47son
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Good News!

Louis Huang is an Arcadia, California PD armorer. He's on facebook and gives free gunsmithing advice.
Glock AK47son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
pfalz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rogers View Post
ak47son.... i'm not telling you what to do so please dont get me wrong. unless i experience an out of the box failure, i just continue to shoot the crap out of it. clean it, lube it and shoot it. everyone likes their own type sites, i just paint over the the 2 rear dots and leave the front as is. not sure about recoil reducers
I have to agree with 2rogers. I wouldn't do anything to it, until I took it out shooting and
put a few boxes of ammo thru it.
Semper Paratus
pfalz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #18
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalz2 View Post
I wouldn't do anything to it, until I took it out shooting and put a few boxes of ammo thru it.
Exactly! Shoot it, get used to it, see how it acts, take notes......... Kinda like a girlfriend or a wife......... You wouldn't push her to change herself right off the bat, would ya?

The general consensus around the 1911 community, is to put at least 500 rounds of FMJ through it with ZERO malfunctions. If it has any malf's within that time, take it apart & inspect it to see if you can find out what caused the malf. If there's no visible wear/tear/issues, clean it up, lube the crap out of it and start the round count over (my 1st 1911 loved to run extremely 'wet' before I finally put about 1000 rounds through it).

Once you hit 500 rounds with ZERO malf's, then try whatever self defense ammo tickles your fancy.. If it eats that (say 200 rounds with zero malf's), take it apart, clean it up, lube it, run a couple mags through it again, then slip it in your holster for a comfy ride/walk where ever you go.

I completely field strip my daily carry gun and clean it every 2 weeks.

Full disassemble, clean & lube once a year.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
Exactly! Shoot it, get used to it, see how it acts, take notes......... Kinda like a girlfriend or a wife......... You wouldn't push her to change herself right off the bat, would ya?

The general consensus around the 1911 community, is to put at least 500 rounds of FMJ through it with ZERO malfunctions. If it has any malf's within that time, take it apart & inspect it to see if you can find out what caused the malf. If there's no visible wear/tear/issues, clean it up, lube the crap out of it and start the round count over (my 1st 1911 loved to run extremely 'wet' before I finally put about 1000 rounds through it).

Once you hit 500 rounds with ZERO malf's, then try whatever self defense ammo tickles your fancy.. If it eats that (say 200 rounds with zero malf's), take it apart, clean it up, lube it, run a couple mags through it again, then slip it in your holster for a comfy ride/walk where ever you go.

I completely field strip my daily carry gun and clean it every 2 weeks.

Full disassemble, clean & lube once a year.
Yep! I had around 2,000 rounds through my Springfield Loaded, before I even changed the stocks (grips) on it. Recently, I changed the recoil spring, because it needed it.

I should get it re-finished, as the bluing is almost all gone. It was one of the early "Loaded" models, so it has some pretty sharp edges that need broken.

A trigger job probably wouldn't hurt anything, either.

What have I done to it? Polished the feed ramp and chamber to a high polish using jeweler's rouge and a felt buffer on my Dremel. Changed the extractor with a Wilson "bulletproof" after the original became too worn. Now it drops the brass like it used to - in a nice tight area beside me.

I guess what folks are trying to say, is you should spend your extra money on ammo and a good holster, then shoot the hell out of the pistol to get proficient with the tool before you start messing around with it. You may discover you don't want to do anything to it, at all.

My first 1911-type pistol was an Argentine surplus Ballester-Molina. Well, I got it before the Internet, and there were no options for customization that I could find. So, I didn't know it had all the limitations that internet "gun experts" say it has. I shot the heck out of that gun with every kind of ammo you could think of. I ran a mix of cheap magazines with it, with no problems at all. And I became pretty dang good with it.

It's fun to shop and dream about customizing your firearms. We all do it. It's part of being a Man, I believe. But, learn the tool before you start fiddling around with customization.

Or, just do what you want, because it's your gun. The advice is worth what you paid for it.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
Rew

I have owned several 1911A1 type pistols. Simply because that's what I was trained with and I figured if it was good enough for the military it's fine with me. After having owned these pistols and doing a lot of shooting, and making some changes here and there, I changed my carry gun to a DA revolver. Been trained with them too as well as single actions long before the army. Now I carry DA auto's, but I still have the revolvers, don't own one SA auto. But to each his own.