Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Sanders

Default Pistol-Packing By the Millions

Quote:
In 1980, Gaston Glock was the manager of a car-radiator factory just outside Vienna. At home, he ran a side business in his garage, making knives and bayonets for the Austrian army. He lived in a comfortable though not overly prosperous way, all but unknown beyond his corner of Austria. He knew next to nothing about firearms. Less than 20 years later, he was the world's leading manufacturer of handguns, and the business born in his garage had annual revenues of more than $100 million.

If this improbable success story involved nothing more than technical innovation, Mr. Glock's ascent would no doubt still make for a compelling tale. But, as Paul M. Barrett reveals in "Glock: The Rise of America's Gun," there is more to the story. Much more, including political shenanigans, corporate corruption and an attempted assassination.
It's a book review, but pretty interesting: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Railbuggy

I did the shootin part of my CCW test with a Glock17.Good weapon.I'm old school though.Give me a nice HiPower or clone like the CZ75 and I might give my 1911 a rest.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Rew

The CZ75 is not even close to being a clone of the Hipower. The P35 is a single action auto. The CZ75 is a double action auto. The P35 has a 13 round mag, the CZ75 has a 15 round mag. They both fire the 9mm. But that's as close as they get.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Gus

I'll admit I've never fired a Glock and very likely will live my life out not doing so.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Rew

They can be fun Gus. I don't really care for them safety wise. I much prefer DA auto or DA revolvers.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Tupperware goes in the kitchen cabinet.
Walnut and blue steel goes in the gun cabinet.
Eightball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I have fired ONE Model 17 Glock.
About 20 years ago.
Hit what I shot at, 50 yards away.
Haven't had an interest in them because of their shape, etc.

The only 9mm I own is a Ruger P85.
It also shoots well.
Haven't shot it in almost 20 years either.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Sanders

I don't own a Glock, but I thought the story was pretty interesting.

As one old fellow says, "He who dies with the most stories, wins."
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
baboon
slug

I gave the wife my Glock 19 when I bought a Glock 26. I think they are very good guns. I've watched the wife out shoot many a man with more expensive guns. The 26 is my dedicated truck gun.

I'm also very tired of fools calling Glock the first plastic framed pistol. I heard it again just the other day on Sons of Guns
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Tupperware goes in the kitchen cabinet.
Walnut and blue steel goes in the gun cabinet.
Right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I don't own a Glock, but I thought the story was pretty interesting.

As one old fellow says, "He who dies with the most stories, wins."
That goes with "the one that dies with the most toys, wins". That said, the accompanying story was quite interesting.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
2rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
The CZ75 is not even close to being a clone of the Hipower. The P35 is a single action auto. The CZ75 is a double action auto. The P35 has a 13 round mag, the CZ75 has a 15 round mag. They both fire the 9mm. But that's as close as they get.
anyone with a bhp not using krd 17 rnd mags needs to lay off the geritol, pull up thier depends and get in the new mellenium, not to mention a new set of wolff springs. theres no flies on the cz75 or the tz variants either. first class products. but not similar just as rew says.

i confess to only having 2 of gastons accurate, reliable and completely DISPOSABLE products. please show me 1 polymer product that doesnt turn brittle after 20-30 years. its not cutting edge or new tech, its the same idea everyone had dating all the way back to bakealite. anyone seen a "factory refurbished" unit at the gunshows? its a new frame with an old slide. so when do we intend on handing down our arms to our children, grandchildren, or great grandchildren? my offspring and others will be getting bhp's, wheelguns, 1911's & 3rd gen s&w autos. if the glocksuckers product go in the dumpster as unsuable when i'm 60, its exactly what it was intended to be. :dgnr:
2rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
They can be fun Gus. I don't really care for them safety wise. I much prefer DA auto or DA revolvers.
Oh I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot a Glock if given the opportunity but not one person I know has one so the chances of it happening are slim and none.

And yes the trigger safety doesn't cut it with me.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
doug11606

I bought a glock model 36 for carry a few years back. I specifically purchased the 36 due to it's single row magazine. It fit pretty nice in my hand. All I did to this gun was add a set of night sights. When I carry now it is a Taurus PT145 it conceals easier and shoots just as well & reliable. I will hang on to the glock but I enjoy shooting most of my other handguns better. Nothing bad to say about the glock other than it is a pinky pincher.
P.S. I do like the safety on the Glock if you want to call it that. If you properly train to never engage your finger with the trigger until you are on target no problem. A time may come when you have to fire and not have time to remove a conventional safety or have the gun firmly planted in your hand.
doug11606 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
AKWARRIOR
Gone

Ive shot several.I inherited a Glock 17.As I have said before.There are so many things wrong with the design.The grip angle,plastic sights,and trigger sucks.The grip shape also sucks.I keep it in the safe and pull it out every once in a while to remind me of how inferior it is to most other designs and laugh at it.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined"-Patrick Henry
AKWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote