Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 05-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Default Die differences ?

AFter doing a little research/homework, I'm noticing a lot of different die designs. What's the difference between any of 'em ? Lee makes a few different die types, one of which is called the "collect" die.

Can anyone tell me the differences between dies ? And which one would likely produce the most accurate hand-loads ??

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

MoonShiner, all dies are capable of making accurate loads. Some people prefer one brand over another just like the Chevy vs. Ford thing. I'm not all that sold on the brand thing myself. I guess if price wasn't an issue I'd go with Dillon over all others. But, I don't feel like I'm using second rate equipment if I'm using Lyman or RCBS or Hornady dies. Lee probably makes the least expensive dies, and are looked down upon by a lot of reloaders. But, I have no reservation about using them myself. In fact, Lee makes the best crimp die of all manufacturers.

That might not have actually answered the question you asked, but that's pretty much my opinion after using just about every brand made.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Preacher
Chaplain/Moderator

I know I have seen dies that are made by the same company with different specs. Some size the full length of the cartridge, some size just the neck. Then I have seen small base dies and if I remember correctly, these crimp the area around the bullet tighter so they will work better in semi-autos. But I am strictly going on memory on that one, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm no expert, but I hope what little I know helps.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Ronald Reagan - 1964
-------------------------------------
Bunker Member #4.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Full length dies size the entire length of the case, bringing it back into SAAMI specifications. However that is not necessary or even preferable in some situations. In some cases it is preferable to use sizing dies that size only the neck. That increases the life of the case because it isn't repeatedly stretched by fire forming and being squeezed back to SAAMI specifications by a full length die.

Those Lee crimp dies have a unique collet that does an excellent job in sealing the case to the bullet. That is especially important if shooting very light loads such as in Cowboy Action Shooting. The tight crimp improves the complete combustion of the powder and keeps your revolver from getting so dirty.

There are so many variables, I highly recommend getting a reloading manual and reading it. In fact, I've got several. And of course asking as many questions as you can think of right here in this forum.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
There are so many variables, I highly recommend getting a reloading manual and reading it. In fact, I've got several. And of course asking as many questions as you can think of right here in this forum.
Alrighty Pogo

If a feller (26 years old), under the influence of sweet poo-nanny, wanted to reload .22-250Rem ammunition (no surprise here). I'm interested in firing a 52 bthp at about 3600 fps from a Remington 700 VS. It has a heavy barrel, heavy synthetic stock, Leupold VX-III (4.5x14 zoom).

Now that we're asking stupid questions... what do the turret presses do ? Keep you from switching out dies so often ? How many dies do you need to reload ? Two ? Three ? I see some die-sets with 4.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Yes, the turret press allows you to not have to swap dies so often.

If you are reloading a cartridge to be used only in the same firearm in which it was previously fired, you generally need only resize the neck. Otherwise, a full resizing is in order. Full resizing is usually required for self-loading firearms.

Straight wall cases use an extra die to open up the case lip to allow a lead bullet to be inserted without shaving lead. You normally don't need to do that when shooting jacketed bullets in bottleneck cartridges.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
Moon
IncogNegro

Alrighty, cool

How about cost effectiveness with reloading ? I've got the specs down to about:

12-pennies a bullet.
2-pennies a primer.
18-pennies per casing (if I decide to purchase casings).

I can't find out how many grains of powder are in Hodgdon H380, and the approximate cost of a load of powder.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
Cephus
The OLD COOT one and only

POGO hit all of the high spots and I'd be doing what he said ,I use a lyman turret press and have since about 1963 it's my favorite and I really liked the Herter dies but ya can't get them any more but as POGO said they are pretty much the same no matter what they are ,the neck dies are the ones ya use for the same gun and shells and will give ya the best results !!!
THAT IS BLOOD

Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
Moon
IncogNegro

Werd Thanks guys ! I found something on handloads.com that gave me a good projection for what reloading costs.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

It costs about the same to reload 50 as it does to buy one box of 20.

Thanks guys !
Old 05-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #10
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShiner

I can't find out how many grains of powder are in Hodgdon H380, and the approximate cost of a load of powder.

For information, there are 7,000 grains in a pound, no matter what powder you are using. And, the same goes for the weight of a bullet.

And that is a good page to keep bookmarked.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #11
Cephus
The OLD COOT one and only

H380 will give ya 3700 with a 52 gr bullet
of WIN 760 willgive ya 3650 with a 52 gr bullet

If my memory isn't gone completely I think there is 7000 grs per pound so ya can figure that out for yourself !!

edit:Sorry, but no powder charge wights are allowed. Rew
Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote