Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 09-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Default Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...tage-press-kit

Is this a decent starter kit? I want to start reloading 9mm and .45ACP rounds.

Also looking at this one: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...tage-press-kit

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
hangfire
Home on the range

Seems they redesigned the feed tray for the auto prime. Mine is round.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
hangfire
Home on the range

I think you would be happier with the RCBS.
hangfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

I'm leaning toward the RCBS, too. It's a lot more heavy duty.

Thanks, Hangfire!

Brian
Old 09-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I would go with the RCBS also. They have never been a problem,
AND,
Parts have a guarantee, including primer decapping pins.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
THE DUDE

if you're doing larger rifle cailbers IE: 30-06 lengths and above go with the rockchucker kit.

if you're just doing handguns and smaller rifle like .223/22-250 the lee is fine.

they sure are proud of their prices on all this shit anymore . it wouldnt hurt to even find a used rcbs setup either.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:04 PM   #7
JD Miller
Fake Member

Id get the RCBS.

I have that same kit, but 30 years old at least

Get the stand for the powder measure
Old 09-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
noylj

Lee guarantees parts.
Lee doesn't throw spent primers all over the place.
You don't NEED a stronger press for reloading. Unless you are swaging your own bullets, the Lee is STILL more than strong enough.
The Lee kit will work just fine, but it won't feel as nice. If you would rather spend money on components and shooting than on a fancier piece of equipment, the Lee is more than good enough.
I have worked with the Lee Safety Scale, It is as good as another, but you have to learn how to read the venier scale. IF it comes with the Lee PPM, this is great powder measure--if you mount it on your bench with a piece of paper under it to catch any leaking powder as it wears in. I have a PPM and it is the most consistent powder measure I have. My Hornady L-N-L measure is almost as good and my Dillons are a step down, but they are all good enough I have to admit.
I had a RockChucker from 1973-1974 and was SO HAPPY to sell it and buy a Forster Co-Ax. Now, that is a single-stage press worth buying and I still have it.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #9
Railbuggy

I use my LEE for 45acp, 45colt, 30/06, 308. Works for me.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:41 PM   #10
4thIDvet
slug

I have an RCBS single stage and a Lee turret press..

"Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Deluxe Kit"
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...tage-press-kit

I mainly load .45 acp and some 25-06. If your not doing massive amounts of shooting the Lee kit will work for yah. Your not going to put out a supply of ammo for the whole division in a day but hell enough for your platoon.

What I like is once you set the dies in the disc's up you don't have to keep screwing with settings. Once in awhile minor adjustments but not that much.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
Sanders

I have the RCBS. It will reload anything I put in it. I know folks with the Lee, and they are happy with it, too.

However; if you are doing a lot of shooting, you will find the single stage quite time consuming.

I'd look at a turret press, as suggested by 4th. Or even bite the bullet, so to speak, and just go for a progressive press.

Lee makes a pretty good progressive press, too. Don't let anyone trash Lee - they make good stuff. I've heard that many commercial ammo manufacturers use Lee dies. I use a hodge-podge of RCBS, Lee and Hornady dies.

I've been running the Hornady Lock-n-Load progressive press, and it sure opens up a new world of reloading. It isn't cheap, though. There are a lot more costs involved than just the press. By the time you buy dies, bushings, etc... you hope you are doing a lot of reloading to make it pay for itself.

Even if you don't have a press, yet, start stocking up on primers and powder. At least get yourself an 8lb. jug of Unique, as you can load about any pistol or shotgun round with that stuff. Primers and powder are the weak link in the reloading supply chain. The commie bastards are doing everything they can to break that link, and they will eventually.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
hangfire
Home on the range

Quote:
What I like is once you set the dies in the disc's up you don't have to keep screwing with settings. Once in awhile minor adjustments but not that much.
I also have a Lee turret press for cranking out different calibers, but I use the RCBS for match ammo.
hangfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

After reading over the views here, I settled on the Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Deluxe Kit. This, from noylj, "If you would rather spend money on components and shooting than on a fancier piece of equipment, the Lee is more than good enough" is how I started looking at going about this. I got the press and the "Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 45 ACP" from Midway and and the "Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger" off ebay, because the 9mm dies were back-ordered at Midway.

I looked around for Unique powder, but it seems everybody's out of it and have been for a while. Looking in to maybe Vihtavuori N320, Winchester 231 or Tightgroup powders (info from reloading forums?). I can get the powder and primers from Midway, because they're just a little further than Sierra Bullets. I'll get bullets from Sierra, as they're just up the road (well, 35 miles, anyhow), because they sell seconds by the pound fairly cheap.

What about my powder selections? Opinions?

Brian
Old 09-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #14
RetVet
Statistical Error

I order most of my powder from Wideners when they have it on sale. Same with some bullets and primers. Hazmat fees are the killer, so you have to order in bulk with a few friends to save some. I get some powder and bullets from gibrass.com when they have a good deal.

I've been using Unique and Swiss Precision Powder. The latter came from Wideners, but they don't stock it any more.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
Sanders

Alliant BE-86 is another option for pistol powder.

I've only used it in 9mm so far. Looks like it will work well in .45 ACP, too.

http://www.dirtydozensbunker.com/sho...d.php?t=149590
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote