Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 05-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Question .38spl +P

I've got a butt-load of .38spl brass that I've been loading (apparently there's low demand for .38spl brass, now I know why). My current load consists of a 125gr jhp, loaded up to +P specifications. Then I got to worrying: "What are you gonna do if you blow your revolver up ?" It's being fired out of a Colt Trooper Mk III, not a cut-rate hooptie or a standard .38spl. The loading manual I use warns that firing +P loads can cause premature wear on a revolver, but I'm assuming they were refering to standard .38spl revolvers.

I was thinking that there's no way the hottest .38spl +P could generate the power/pressures of a .357mag, and that I'm being foolish and paranoid. Any help from the guru'z ?

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

A properly loaded .38spl +P isn't going to do any damage at all to a revolver made to handle .357 magnum.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Cephus
The OLD COOT one and only

DITTO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT IS BLOOD

Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
Preacher
Chaplain/Moderator

I know several people that shoot 38 specials through a 357. So you're good to go.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Ronald Reagan - 1964
-------------------------------------
Bunker Member #4.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher
I know several people that shoot 38 specials through a 357. So you're good to go.
Do it all the time.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher
Certainly, that's almost all I shoot thru mine, 150 grain solid lead that I cast myself.

But, when I carry it, I have it loaded with .357 Magnum hollow points.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Thumbs up

As everyone said ... no problem, as long as you're staying on the .38 spcl page.+P or even +P+ I would think.

The hot .357 125 grain loads did get an earned rep for flame cutting the frame of revolvers if they were fired extensively. But that was with HOT .357 loads. Don't believe you could do that with a .38 load but I'd keep an eye on the top strap, jic.

Theoretically I suppose you could get some erosion ahead of the case mouth which might eventually cause extraction difficulties with 357 cases, but I doubt it. Like shooting 22 shorts in a LR chamber, any problem is more likely to be just a crud build up.

Lot of good S&W K-frames suffered extensively (more of them in use), including both of my M-19's and so did some Colts. But again that was with extensive shooting of HOT .357 loads.

I load my .38's with a fairly soft lead 158 grain hollowpoint at about 900-950 fps and life is good. Accurate, effective and fun to shoot.

Don't ever sell the plain old 38 spcl short.

Did good in WWII and Korea and nobodies grown built in armor plate since then.

Old friend of mine who was a warden in Alaska in the '30's, often talked about a fellow from Ohio who moved up there and lived for about 6 years with his family and fed them with just one gun the only one he owned, A Colt .38 spcl and one box of factory cartridges.

Got his deer and moose, a couple of Black Bears and even one 600 lb. inland Grizzly.

When he finally gave it up and moved back to the lower 48 he still had a few cartridges left.

I believe we had more hunters than shooters back in those days.

You should be good to go!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Theoretically I suppose you could get some erosion ahead of the case mouth which might eventually cause extraction difficulties with 357 cases, but I doubt it. Like shooting 22 shorts in a LR chamber, any problem is more likely to be just a crud build up.
Yes, that's the only possible problem I'm aware of just like when shooting .44 Spl in .44 Magnum revolvers or 45-70 cartridges in 45-90 rifles.

My recommendation is to use those 38 special cases for moderate target loads, and to load your power house rounds in .357 cases. You won't need that many .357 rounds because you don't need all that power just for target practice and for plinking. Just a few every now and then for familiarization with the heavier round.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote