Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 03-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Question .45 250 grains...

Hornady XTP Bullets 45 Caliber (452 Diameter) 250 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 100
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/776...int-box-of-100

Anyone ever fire these things? Damn must be like a cannon ball going down range?
Wonder if they can be shot out of a standard .45 acp? or are they for the Colt?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
TinmanIA
Demon of the Midwest
Disc Dash Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Railway Line Champion

One of the 45 guys at the last match was firing cast 250s in a modified 1911 with no compensator. He said he can load them light and still make the power requirements.

The only question then is will it have the velocity to open up, and the pressure that wont do damage. I don't know what kind of pressures it would make, but the case capacity would be lessened a bit from the increased 20 grains of bullet being stuffed in there.

I would up the recoil spring a couple pounds if I were trying this myself. I have only seen the one guy doing it, I have not seen or heard of using jacketed bullets, thats just me though.

Worst case scenario if it don't work out and you have a 45LC, you got some wicked HP's for it.
TinmanIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

In that the bullets have a cannelure I imagine they were intended for the .45 Long Colt.

250 grain is what I fire in mine.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
hangfire
Home on the range

I've tried the 230 grain variety, my pistols didn't like to feed them.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
4thIDvet
slug

Most of the reviews are talking the Colt..
One review guy got a bit descriptive.. "I blew the deers front shoulders off, went clean on through." Field dressed.
If their is a working load for the .45 acp, I would not want to be down range?
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Railbuggy

I bought 250 of that style at a show but could not find load data for the 1911 45acp.I loaded them up as 45 magnums for my Ruger Blackhawk in 45colt.RUGER ONLY LOADS
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbuggy View Post
I bought 250 of that style at a show but could not find load data for the 1911 45acp.I loaded them up as 45 magnums for my Ruger Blackhawk in 45colt.RUGER ONLY LOADS
Yeah that is what I am thinking Rails, Colt, like the guys are sayin..
Tinman says a working load at a pistol match though?
I have been loading the 200 grain copper jacketed round nose for my .45..
I know, I know most prefer the 230.. But damn 200 heading down range is something to open ones eyes..
My God 250? Like a cannon ball.
Add: Plus I am loading light. Save powder, hard to get and help the shells last..

Last edited by 4thIDvet; 03-21-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Add
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
TinmanIA
Demon of the Midwest
Disc Dash Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Railway Line Champion

The guy was using cast bullets though, not jhp's. I'm sure you could load them, but you would need to work up some way to make sure they expand, like a big water bucket, ot the thing with milk jugs like on the box o' truth.

Off the top of my head I would try working up a load using bulseye, or unique. That's me though, I am mentally missing some parts...
TinmanIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Rew

I use to load 255 grain swaged lead SWC for a target load in Germany. But I shot every week at a German gun club. The Hornady 255 grain bullets were all I could find. Loaded them over a light charge of 700X and fired them in an AMT Hardballer. Had to make do with what the Rod&Gun club sold. Here I also use .45 AR (auto rim) brass (it's a revolver now)same dies, different shell holder they load great with the .45 colt bullets but here I can get red dot or bullseye. I cast my own bullets and 700x is hard to find.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote