Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
bige64
Burnin Hippies...
Mosquito Kill Champion, Mahjong Champion, Tetris Champion, Karts Champion

Thumbs up Best place to buy 1919a4 parts kit?

I am considering a new build from the usual AK build... I would love to get me one of those beltfed suckers....

I would like to get it in .308 and 8mm if I could....

What all legalities entail a 1919 build/ how hard etc...

If anyone knows a good place to get one pretty decently priced, I would appreciate the help...

and if there is anyone in the SW PA / E Ohio /N WV area that has any experience building them, I would love the help....

I figured on Calling up Cephus and seeing if he knew or could help with the build process... so we will see...

Anything will help... thanks
bige64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
magnus392
Thick Skulled Southerner

Well, the kits are getting harder to find. You have to get a semi auto side plate, and their is a good bit of machining and mill work to be done. Then from what I hear there is some funky angled rivet work involved. DinkyDow had built them before I am sure. He will be out for a while but is probably the best to ask
Old 03-15-2007, 01:28 AM   #3
Raven

Kits are around $400-450 for Izzy and higher for US if you can find one, the internals have to be milled down to fit the wider side plate, sear has to be changed and sear slot has to be opened up wider. The rest of the build is fairly easy! You'll have about $800 wraped up in her when finished...of course you'll need a pod or mount, T&E, links or cloth belts, linker and you'll have to get a crank to run her fast!!!!!

I've got about $2500+ tied up in mine...OH you'll want to get an A6 kit to convert her to a squad machine gun (semi).

All the info you'll ever want is over at www.1919a4.com and most of the acessories are available over there or you can find out where to get them!!!

Hope this helps!! If you want to take the quick route I have one for sale for $2000 with all the bells and whistles with an Emory Jones crank...If interested PM me for details and pix or just for help or info!!! I may already have a buyer but it's up in the air right now.

TTUS Raven
that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. The Declaration of Independence
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
blkbd

I'm in the process of building one and I had 30calmachinegunner at the 1919A4 forum machine my internals, He machined my internals to fit the new plate and sear. I had my parts back in one week and he has combo deals depending on what you want and the price was good.
As Raven said check out 1919A4.com and they can answer any questions you have.
blkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
RetVet
Statistical Error

I'd like to get a second kit to do one as a 1917 clone with the water jacket housing. Gunthings is sold out of their kits. Sportsmansguide still lists them, but for much more $$. Not sure who else has them.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
bige64
Burnin Hippies...

Do you guys think I might be better off just buying a complete gun and be done with it.... 800 ish total for a build is only about 100-200 off what the complete ones cost...

How hard is it to convert from .308 to 8mm and back again what all extra crap am I gonna need?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
bige64
Burnin Hippies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Kits are around $400-450 for Izzy and higher for US if you can find one, the internals have to be milled down to fit the wider side plate, sear has to be changed and sear slot has to be opened up wider. The rest of the build is fairly easy! You'll have about $800 wraped up in her when finished...of course you'll need a pod or mount, T&E, links or cloth belts, linker and you'll have to get a crank to run her fast!!!!!

I've got about $2500+ tied up in mine...OH you'll want to get an A6 kit to convert her to a squad machine gun (semi).

All the info you'll ever want is over at www.1919a4.com and most of the acessories are available over there or you can find out where to get them!!!

Hope this helps!! If you want to take the quick route I have one for sale for $2000 with all the bells and whistles with an Emory Jones crank...If interested PM me for details and pix or just for help or info!!! I may already have a buyer but it's up in the air right now.

TTUS Raven
Raven I will keep you in mind... I don't quite have 2000 to spend though.... I am itchin to get a crank to go with it....
Old 03-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
F-Troop
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige64
Do you guys think I might be better off just buying a complete gun and be done with it.... 800 ish total for a build is only about 100-200 off what the complete ones cost...

How hard is it to convert from .308 to 8mm and back again what all extra crap am I gonna need?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]You have several choices. Ohio Ordnance Works has some Izzy .308 kits they sell at gunshows that run only about $300. They are said to be 'used' but the use is relatively minor. To build one you need a semi-right side plate (ORF has them for $175 for a 100% [actually treated as an FFL item]; 80% plates run maybe $125.).

You'll need a new sear (Karma Metal Products = about $125).

You'll need machining of the bolt, barrel extension and and one other part (hangman 15 on the 1919A4.com board does it perfectly for $125.)

Rivets cost $60 or so.

However, the bucking bar to set the rivets so they don't look crappy may be another $125 (from 7.62 sniper on the 1919A4 or Gunsnet boards).

The decision to buy an Ohio Rapid Fire for about $1000 starts making some sense.

Since .308 has almost completely dried up, 8mm is an option. To answer your question, you need an 8mm barrel (about $125-150), a booster and cartridge guide (maybe $40). You also have to know how to unscrew the .308 barrel, screw the 8mm in and headspace correctly. Changing between 8mm and .308 is not difficult.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT]
F-Troop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
bige64
Burnin Hippies...

Thank ya F-troop ... that helps a bit

I have never dealed with ORF before... how are they?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
Raven

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige64
Thank ya F-troop ... that helps a bit

I have never dealed with ORF before... how are they?

Excellent place to do business with, Todd is on top of things!!!!!
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
RetVet
Statistical Error

Anyone have feedback on the B grade 1919 kits for $299 at Ohio Ordnance Works? Didn't find much at 1919a4.com
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote