Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Default Anyone like Chuck roast?

I was at Sams Club yesterday buying stuff and I noticed they had some nice looking Chuck Roast.

So I bought a big package. I'll cook half today and freeze the rest for later.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

$21.75 for that package?
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
baboon
slug

Gee I wonder it that been injected or enhanced?
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
aviator
unum de multis

Over 5 lbs? 2.5 lbs per serving?....You'll need a lot of mustard on that.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
slug

I'll be glad when I can

get cattle again....
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
Railbuggy

I don't buy beef like that anymore. It cost to much and I get by on pork, chicken, and turkey. Plus its not good for my heart.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbuggy View Post
Plus its not good for my heart.
Red meat is not bad for you.
Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.
Eightball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbuggy View Post
Plus its not good for my heart.
That has been proven to be untrue.
Now you can go out and PIG OUT on red meat.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
4thIDvet
slug

Pogo, yes. Some of the best flavored steak one can buy. Secret. Do NOT tell anyone..
Put the meat on a cutting board, take kitchen forks and stand their and keep poking them.
Rub some butter, spices as desired on them and cook as desired.. You watch.. Tender and full of flavor.. Try it..
Boil them and eat with horseradish, Brit style. Ask rick, Yum good.
Cooked properly, they are the best kept secret in the meat industry.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
RTO

I like chuck roast but don't cook it very often because my wife is a vegetarian. So I sometimes cook a crock pot roast when company is coming.

I buy ground chuck for burgers, it makes juicy and flavorful burgers.

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:23 AM   #11
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Don't spread it around but easily 85% of the "Steaks I've cooked for friends over the last 40-50 years have been ... yup, you guessed it, Chuck Roast!

Here's how I do it;

Get a nice big well marbeled Chuck Roast, slice it into "steaks, an inch or so thick.

Poke a bunch of holes in it with a fork.

Put the 'steaks in a large ziplock bag.

Add some of your favorit italian dressing and a LOT of Gin, half-pint or more for two steaks.. (Don't need Saphire or Tanqueray, Fleischmans works fine,) just so it has a good juniper bite to it.

Put your 'steaks' in the refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours and let it marinate.

Take your 'steaks' out of the 'fridge a good hour or two before cooking, let them get up to room temperature.

Amuse your self in the meantime with whatever other 'fixins' you like.

Then take your biggest and best cast iron frying pan and heat it up ... HOT, real HOT!

Throw a goose egg sized gob of butter on the pan and add your steak, TWO minutes , flip and Two minutes more for a Rare steak, 4 minutes on a side for a medium-rare. and getting dangerously close to a 'medium'

Cook it any longer and you should be ashamed of yourself, if it aint done enough ... you didn't have the pan hot enough.

Do NOT add any salt until it's on your plate and let cool 2 minutes before serving ( juices need to reabsorb back into the meat

Remember rare is a cold red center, medium rare is a warmer just bright pink center.

You'll have a steak to remember.

Folks with a western background will recognize a "pan fried steak":, but the gin was my own discovery, occurred once when I'd had one Martini just a tad too many and failed to 'refresh' with my ususal skill and dexterity. . Rest of the recipe came back from Montana with my Dad about 1934. He'd decided herding babying and looking after critters wasn't nearly as much fun as cooking and eating them.

Anyhow, try it and enjoy it, never had a complaint and this is the first time I've ever shared the recipe with anyone!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 AM   #12
fabber39

Hey POGO !! Season it with what you want ( Tony Cacharee's creole seasonings, for me ) and stuff it full of garlic, green onions, and slivers of jalapeno's. Brown it real good on all sides, and throw it in a crock pot. I add a can of beef broth, potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery stalks. Set it on low for 5 or 6 hours !!!
HELL !! Cook it the way you want !! it's yours !! nice marbeling looks yummy

the fabber39
fabber39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #13
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post

Not sure if it just the photo but, the roast on the right looks a bit blood shot. I can't help but notice that in both lower corner you can clearly see part of the meat that the blade/shoulder bone is attached. I see that the bone fel is still on the roast as well. That can be very chewy.

My biggest concern is wether they had been injected. Walmart/Sams in Texas were using a central cutting plant to stock the meat departments. To get more self life the meat is injected with a saline solution. I don't see the needle marks so you might be in luck.

One of my best friends is a chef. He bought a chuck roast from Walmart years ago as it's the closest store to his house. It was "enhanced" He tried to sear the meat fist in the pan as he was doing a true pot roast on top of the stove. He said the roast kept giving up liquid & would never brown. When I told him about Walmarts injecting their beef, pork & chicken he stopped shopping there.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
aviator
unum de multis

Baboon, just about everybody injects saline solution in meat. We buy from a chain called Publix, really large in Florida and famous for good quality products, some of the meat just drips that stuff out. They also do bleaching to improve color....in other words, unless you kill it yourself you're eating chemicals with some meat.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Baboon, just about everybody injects saline solution in meat. We buy from a chain called Publix, really large in Florida and famous for good quality products, some of the meat just drips that stuff out. They also do bleaching to improve color....in other words, unless you kill it yourself you're eating chemicals with some meat.
The beef we sell aint enhanced. Pork & some chicken has been. The reason behind the pork & chicken is that way to many people overcook it. The enhancement keeps it from drying out.

I know about Publix. Worked with a guy from Florida who worked for them. At one time the were said to be looking @ buying us out.

Older meat has what's commonly called purge. Meat use to hang for a while 30+ years ago. Now it goes straight into the Cryovac bag into a box & ships out. Purge is just blood & tissue fluid the weeps out. As that meat in the Cryovac gets older it gasses up. That part of decomposition.