Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
Boris

Default Wichester Model 70 Barrell bedding

I have a problem with my Winchester Model 70 (newer version) with a synthetic stock.
The problem I have with it is that it shoots way right,,3 different scopes same result,,almost maxes out the windage adj to get on target.

I figure I have 1 of 2 problems,,,either the barrell isn't sitting sqaure in the stock or the holes for the scope mount are drilled incorrectly.

I have other rifles I can use but I would really like to get this one shooting straight.
I am pretty much an amateur at this and not really sure what else it may be if it's 1 of those 2 things ,,I also tried shimming the scope L to R and R to L but it didn't seem to change much.

any nudge in the proper direction would be greatly appreciated

Patrick Henry
Boris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
JD Miller
Fake Member

What scope bases and rings are you using? crappy bases Could be the problem too...

All my M70 I have Leopold 2 piece bases and reverse front rings

Mounted Leopold scopes , bore sited , pretty much right on with minimum adjustment

My m70s are pre 64, and one about 30 years old, though
Old 12-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
baboon
slug

Does it have iron sights to shoot it with? You could always vice it down, bore sight it & shoot a group to see if it's the barrel .vs the mounts.

And this is why pre 64 Winchester's demands a premium price. My thoughts are sell it & move on. Good money & time on a bad gun never makes sense.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Boris

I probably should sell it but I want to try to get it shooting better first,just for something to do.

I have to gain experience so if I have problems with my other rifles I fix them too
Old 12-31-2018, 12:21 AM   #5
dinkydow

Bore sight it with a laser.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #6
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
Bore sight it with a laser.
yep, get a laser.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
dinkydow

I have a model 70 Varmint in .308, that I glass bedded into a Boyds laminated thumb-hole stock. It mounts a Leupold Air rifle scope. Leupolds Olympic grade air rifle scopes are NOT cheap. It has the thinnest cross-hairs I have ever seen. Air rifle scopes are the only kind of scope that will survive mounted on a .50 cal BMG. They are specially designed to be able to not be destroyed on an air rifles dual recoil. It is deadly accurate. I have it mounted using Weaver base mts and rings. Everything is coated with blue loctite. I have taken so many hawgrats with it that it is almost effortless. I bore sighted it with a laser to 200 yds just to get up and running. I like the laminated stocks over the plastic because they are unaffected by moisture, are ridged as all fuck... and have character.

I also use a selection of hand loaded HP match ammo through it. Using std 7.62x51 ammo is not a good idea.
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #8
ColonelKorn
High Priest of Honkydom

I have 2 pre '64"s-a 1949 and a 1957, both in .30 -06
Old 12-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #9
Boris

thanks for the responses,,I should get working on it...I have been using my Rem 760 gamemaster and Marlin 30/30 for hunting so I haven't felt the pressure to work on it