Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 04-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
dinkydow

Default Colt Single Action Army .45 LC Revolver

The 19th century’s legendary Colt Single Action Army Revolver rides on in the 21st. Why would anyone today want to stake their life on a gun with a 146-year-old design and a 183-year-old lock work design? Well, there are good reasons, such as power and ease of hitting with the best pointing and fastest revolver ever made. I'm talking about Colt’s legendary M1873 Single Action Army .45 revolver. Thanks to Hollywood, it is the most recognizable pistol in the world today and the most intimidating. It doesn’t need Hollywood’s hype, though. This gun can still stand on its own virtues....

http://americanshootingjournal.com/c...n-45-revolver/
--------

"Most intimidating?"

I have had several of them. I don't care for the really small grips on them...were men the size of Hobbits back then?

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
buzgun
slug

gun

I like them for their historical significance and their look.

I enjoy going out into the vast desert out here away from roads, cars, civilization and people and imagining i was a pioneer with a 19th century "iphone" on my hip...The best technology of that day was a pistol like a Colt saa....Also there weren't 1200 genders or communists back then...Just hostile indians and highwaymen

Another bonus that i didnt expect until i got a Colt .45 was the ease of reloading for that caliber and the durability of the Colt .45 brass....I have .45 Colt brass that i have reloaded 60 times and the primer pockets are still relatively tight.

They make herrit and J scott extra large grips for guys with big hands for the saa.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
dinkydow

Bigger grips?
Old 04-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
buzgun
slug

Oversized grips that extend the width and length of the frame
buzgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
JD Miller
Fake Member

I just like a longer grip frame.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
buzgun
slug

gun

Dinky, some guys take Colt 1860 model back straps and trigger guards and put them on the Colt saa....The 1860 colt has a longer grip and the frame screw pattern is the same on both colt models .

I like the look of some of those big custom wood grips better.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
dinkydow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Miller View Post
I just like a longer grip frame.

Me too....
Old 04-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #8
Bluntforce
slug

Spinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
"Most intimidating?"

I have had several of them. I don't care for the really small grips on them...were men the size of Hobbits back then?
If you weighed any more than 130 pounds you were too heavy to be a cavalry man during the Civil War according to Philip Sheridan.

Frank James left some clothes behind when he died. He had a 31 inch waist.

Check out how small the navigator's stations were in WWII planes then remember they had much more space than tail and ball turret gunners.

Rod Serling was a tough MF winning all his service boxing matches, in the bantam division.

In short, yes a large proportion of the white male population of the United States even though carrying the genes to reach six foot height seldom got anywhere near it due to nutrition.

The Dutch were the shortest people in Europe through the nineteenth century, now they are the second tallest people in the world. Their children the South Africans are the tallest people in Africa and had to have the Galil stocks on their R4 rifles lengthened to fit them.

Take a picture of current servicemen and put them next to doughboys of a century past and most doughboys would look like prematurely aged, starving children.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
dinkydow

I have heard THAT before about what Sheridan said about a cavalryman's weight. WWII Jeeps were engineered to fit comfortably, a man who was 5' 6" tall and who weighed around 130 lbs. I noticed some time ago that the fighting/driving/flying positions of much WWII ordinance was designed for guys who would be considered "small" these days.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #10
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

If I'm going to shoot a revolver...which I'm no longer about to do...I want double action.

Mostly because I have weak hands and even weaker fingers and thumbs.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #11
buzgun
slug

gun

I know a guy who has a display of old US Military .45 Colt cartridges...The military issued them to cavalry solders in 12 round ea. in a little paper box ......My buddy has a few of these 12 rd boxes that were opened....The actual old west US military issue Colt .45 round is actually a short Scofield length copper cartridge with no visible primer and was loaded with 30 grains of black powder.....I compared one of his original rounds to one of my modern reloads....Im thinking this was done to make the ammo work in both the Colt saa and the schofield.

Im thinking that the civilian loaded .45 Colt rounds in the 19th century old west were significantly more powerful than the military loading.

I believe Starline brass has recently come out with a Schofield length .45 Colt case that duplicates the old military .45 Colt case length...Im going to a gun show next weekend and im wanting to buy a bag of 100 of these cases to do some experimentation.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #12
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Starline is good brass. I've got a bunch of it in .45 Colt.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #13
slug

https://youtu.be/ZrqPGO1-aMQ

Colt v Schofield
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #14
Sanders

My Dad, his brothers and me and my cousins are/were all over 6' tall with broad shoulders and strong backs.

I look at some of the old pictures of family members and am surprised at how short many of them were, and how skinny they were. But one thing for certain - they all knew how to dress nice.

So, how did their offspring turn into these 6'+ stocky men? Heck, one of my nephews is 6'8". Must be nutrition and hormones added to the food.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #15
buzgun
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44044 View Post
The first time is remember seeing a S&W model 3 or schofield was when i was a kid ..And i was watching re-runs of a 1960's tv western alias smith and jones.....One of the 2 (smith or jones) carried a short barreled Smith and Wesson schofield or #3 and i couldn't figure out what it was exactly.