Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Default Survival 101: Preparing Salt Pork - 18th Century Cooking Series S1E5

Salt pork was a very popular meat in the 18th century. In this video we explain how to prepare you own. #townsendssaltpork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdmPIpQZPRg

This mans series on YouTube is rather interesting. He takes you into the 1700s and explains how people survived in those times. They were not survivalists they just did not have Amazon or a Westinghouse fridge.
This salt pork would technically last all winter. Watch his other vids for some great survival tips.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
baboon
slug

I have been watching a bunch videos in this series.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
Sanders

I was watching his videos pretty regularly for a while. Even made some of his recipes, and they were all really good. One of my favorites, and I've made it a few times, was a steak pie. He cooks his in a Dutch Oven. I cooked mine in a regular oven and it still came out good.

Very simple recipe. Very tasty results. You can use store-bought puff pastry to make it even easier.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Sanders

He did a video about George Washington's Mt. Vernon plantation. I told my daughter about it, and she and my son-in-law went up there to see it one weekend from Norfolk. She bought me a bottle of George Washington's Rye Whiskey - only made there, on site, using his original recipe. I've been saving it for a special occasion, so haven't tasted it, yet.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
4thIDvet
slug

Default The Top 6 Historical Egg Preservation Techniques!

In today's video, we explore six egg preservation methods that were used in households from the 18th century to well into the 20th century. Early tests reveal that some of these methods were incredibly effective. You won't believe how successful the top-rated method worked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYgguMz1qI

Go to the end of the vid to get the best one. 18th century they could store their eggs for up to two years with a 100% recovery rate and no loss of taste or flavor.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
Sanders

Remember, there is also a difference between store-bought, processed eggs and fresh from the farm chicken eggs. The store washes the eggs, which removes a protective coating and can allow bacteria to get inside the egg. Unwashed eggs, while they might have some chicken shit on them, will last longer because of the protective coating.

That's also why you very, very rarely ever hear of anyone getting salmonella from their fresh eggs compared to getting it from store bought eggs.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:42 PM   #7
Bluntforce
slug

Iodized salt is reputed to have a negative effect on the taste of salted pork so you’ll want to use non-iodized or sea salt. I don’t remember if he mentioned it but some prepper did in their vid.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:26 AM   #8
4thIDvet
slug

Thumbs up Mr. Rices Tennesse cured hams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
Iodized salt is reputed to have a negative effect on the taste of salted pork so youíll want to use non-iodized or sea salt. I donít remember if he mentioned it but some prepper did in their vid.
Interesting I wonder if that would be the same for curing hams also like Virginia hams?? Those hung in the shed outside with a lite coating of salt on them seemed to last a lifetime?

Once Mr. Rice from Tennessee cures his ham they asked how long they would be good for?
"Put a rock next to my ham. As long as the rock is good my ham will be to."

Tennessee Cured Ham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdRhpxv82cQ

Whole Country Hams
$63.99Ė$67.99

https://www.ricescountryhams.com/sho...-country-hams/

All out of stock I guess until the holidays?
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:34 AM   #9
hangfire
Home on the range

That coating on the egg shell is called the “cuticle “.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
slug

The best way to keep eggs is

in the chicken...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote