Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #61
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
I first saw the yellowboys in a couple of movies. One was that movie that had Chris Christopherson in it and was named after the roller skating rink in the cowboy town. I can't remember the name of it ...

There was also a TV series about a family in Texas and all the corrupt evil shit that was going on in a post civil war, Texas.... Can't name that one either. Both had the Model 1866 Winchester rifles being used in them.

I thought at the time...Hmmmm...wot's dat? Dat be a purdy raifle.
I watched "Hidalgo" again this past weekend. There were some in it, too.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #62
Bluntforce
slug

Censored

Quote:
I first saw the yellowboys in a couple of movies. One was that movie that had Chris Christopherson in it and was named after the roller skating rink in the cowboy town. I can't remember the name of it ...
HEAVEN'S GATE

Broke United Artists.

Michael Cimino* commu-crap fest.

Cool set, temporarily killed Westerns, concept = WTF? Just because TOM HORN got away with trashing The Grange doesn't mean America wanted to see a Proletarian uprising on the Prairie. The main Bolo even looked like Trotsky.

Still have the 2 VHS set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s_Gate_(film)

*I erroneously credited the crap fest to Leone. I might paint a picture or two in YMMV but I acknowledge my fuck ups.

Last edited by Bluntforce; 10-17-2018 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Blamed wrong director
Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #63
Legion489
Dud

Always wanted a 1873 for no good reason I can figure out! Well that and a Broomhandle in .45 ACP (why I didn't buy one when I saw it I have no clue. Couldn't afford it now!).

Also, the Henrys and 1866 Winchesters were never made of brass, they were a type of bronze called "gun bronze" and much harder than any brass receiver would be. Actual brass receivers would not last long, even with the low powered shells they were used with.

The 1873s in .357 Mag are "special" guns with different heat treating and are not the usual 1873 that doesn't get the more expensive treatment. They are slick to shoot however! Much smoother than the 1892, which of course is much stronger.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #64
Bluntforce
slug

Got one in .38-40 octagonal barrel, case hardened receiver. It’s been restored so collector's value is trashed. Would sell it but it's a family heirloom like that Mossberg bolt action 16 gauge (also restored). Have a Winchester .22 short gallery pump action I would also unload if I could. They should be with those that love them and will be if I outlive enough relatives.

Just like double rifles should be taken to Africa and used on Cape Buffalo, elephants and lions. Old Winchesters should be among Old West memorabilia when not being shot. Reminds me that my Geronimo and Crazy Horse prints got stolen, now I'm pissed off.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #65
dinkydow

Run some more 158gr JHP's through the Yellowboy this afternoon. Like the old Winchester pump .22 short gallery gun I have...it is just plain fun to shoot. I am going to have to order in another 500 rds...if my addiction to banging it...continues.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #66
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Here is a picture of my 1873 in .45 Long Colt taken with my cellphone. The lighting sucks and the hammer is hid in the shadow.

Some day I will set up my backdrop and use my lighting panels and take some good pictures of my long guns.

20181028_132404 by John Danley, on Flickr
Old 10-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #67
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
The yellow boy just arrived. It is a pretty motherfucker! I will have to take some pics. One of my buddies is ragin on me about not getting one with"The Big loop" cocking lever...He must be lost in old Rifleman re-runs with Chuck Conners. not that the 1866 model is even offered with a "Big Loop."
Chuck Conners rifle was an 1892 Winchester.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:04 AM   #68
Bluntforce
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Here is a picture of my 1873 in .45 Long Colt taken with my cellphone. The lighting sucks and the hammer is hid in the shadow.

Some day I will set up my backdrop and use my lighting panels and take some good pictures of my long guns.

That fore stock is beautiful.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #69
dinkydow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Here is a picture of my 1873 in .45 Long Colt taken with my cellphone.
I am just going to HAVE to have one of those....
Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #70
dinkydow

Been looking at the 1873 model Winchesters online. I MUST have one with the color cased receiver. I like the octagonal barrel also...trying to decide on a caliber...and which manufacturer. My instincts tell me to stick with the big name WINCHESTER...but I dunno.

NO...I am not interested in 44-40 caliber. If I wanted THAT I would just shell out $$$ for an heirloom.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #71
Bluntforce
slug

.38-40 is a good round but it's kinda the climate change cartridge, the gun writers keep declaring it dead.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #72
dinkydow

I already have one Winchester model 94 XTR, .375 winmag, that is EXPENSIVE to shoot. Last time I snagged ammo for it it was $39.00 a box. It is unfired and NIB. I just like having pain pills for every firearm.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #73
Stalky

Not what you're looking for but the best combo I ever had was a Marlin/Ruger single action in 44 magnum.
Had the revolver barrel shortened.
Now days the revolver is in 45LC.
Our tastes change over time.
Stalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #74
buzgun
slug

Spinz

one of the problems with 44-40 guns is that gun manufacturers dont seem to use one standard bore dimension for bullet size.... .427 to .430 seems to be the range of sizes i have encountered......it makes reloading and getting accurate groups a challenge.

My uberti cimarron SAA in 44-40 has a .429 size bore but if i reload .429 lead bullets the rounds wont fit into the cylinder all the way...the cylinder front is .427

because of this the gun doesn't group for shit....best i can do is a shotgun spray pattern.

reloading 44-40 isnt as easy as reloading .38 or .45 either.....you have to lube the cases and the brass seems very thin....i usually crumple at least one brass case when reloading 100 rounds.

the .45 Colt seems to be the way to go for pistol, rifle combo.