Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 05-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Thumbs up Mosin Nagant 91/30 Accuracy

I did a little horse trading a while back and part of the deal I received a 1944 MN 91/30, in arsenal refurbished condition. I've been using that for a platform to see how accurate they can be made, on the cheap.

First, I floated the barrel by sanding out the barrel channel in the stock. That brought it in quite a bit. Then, I did the cork gasket material at the nose of the stock trick and that brought it in even more. Smoothed up the trigger and that helped immensely. It's gone from about 3" at a hundred yards with Albanian surplus ammunition, to just over an inch with the same ammo at the same distance.

I also spun a 20ga shotgun brush in the chamber to clean out any hardened crap and that helped with shooting the 60's Czechoslovakian silver tipped ammunition. I might use this one for deer hunting this fall.

These old rifles are amazing pieces, considering you could buy 2 for under a hundred bucks, at one time.

AND... Shooting stuff is always fun.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Are you using a scope or iron sights? Either way, 1 inch groups are pretty impressive.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #3
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Irons and I wasn't able to repeat that group. I did get about a half a fist size group, though. I'll get a picture of the target I was using, which are Swiss Army encampment signs for the latrine. They're a yellow background with a black cross, which at 100 yards, the upright leg fits the 91/30 front sight perfectly.

Any excuse to go to the backyard and shoot, works for me.

Brian
Old 05-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
aviator
unum de multis

1" group with irons at 100 yards with an old rifle is good enough to me.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
1" group with irons at 100 yards with an old rifle is good enough to me.
I really like proving people wrong with the old rifles and ammunition. The Albanian surplus ammunition from the late 80's - early 90's is really great stuff. It's ugly, wrinkled shouldered and sometimes they missed ( ) with the primer sealer, but it's some of the most accurate surplus to be had, for being the cheapest. Granted some lots are better than others.

Brian
Old 05-05-2016, 01:23 AM   #6
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

My Mosin 91/30 was refurbished in 1943 and never reissued. It was packed in cosmoline when I opened the box.

Don't know what size groups I get with mine but, I can hit an old disc blade at 450 yards with the factory sights.

The closer stuff I've shot at always ends up with holes in it too. We usually fill up 2 liter pop bottles with water & a few drops of food coloring (so ya can see when it explodes), and set them out at 100 and 200 yards.

Seems like the sights on mine are set pretty good and the rear ramp sight seems to be one the money when adjusted for different distances.

I love shooting that ol' gal. She's fun to shoot and the cost of ammo don't break the piggy bank.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:59 AM   #7
ColonelKorn
High Priest of Honkydom

Dad had a Finnish variant and would regularly shoot around 2" @100 yards.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

I know the Finnish iterations do tend to be more accurate, probably due to the smaller bore that's common in Finnish barrels. One of the M39's here slugs .308 versus ~.311 for the Russian barrels. One of the M91 Tula Finnish capture, not rebarrelled slugs .309 and the rebarrelled examples slug .308 versus ~.311 - .312 for the Izhevsk and Remington examples, here. One 1926 Izhevsk 91/30 slugs .314 and is actually quite accurate and will hit minute of water filled gallon milk jug at 220 yards all day, with Czech silver tip ammunition. Go figure.

Brian
Old 05-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #9
RetVet
Statistical Error

Oh yeah, the good old days when I could pick up a five pack of Mosin 91/30 UFixEms from Century Arms for a $100. 20 bucks a piece and most needed minor fixes.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:31 AM   #10
12vman
Dud

one of my Mosins that I use for hunting....I have a carbine that is set up the same way............

http://www.*****************.com/sho...n+pistol+scope
12vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #11
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vman View Post
one of my Mosins that I use for hunting....I have a carbine that is set up the same way............

http://www.*****************.com/sho...n+pistol+scope
You can post your own images here. We don't allow links to outside forums.

Brian
Old 05-12-2016, 09:19 PM   #12
12vman
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
You can post your own images here. We don't allow links to outside forums.

Brian
sorry......couldn't find it on my home unit.......prob at the office one

100 yrds off a bipod....... the 3 smaller holes are 223...the 3 big are from the MN

Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #13
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
sorry......couldn't find it on my home unit.......prob at the office one

100 yrds off a bipod....... the 3 smaller holes are 223...the 3 big are from the MN

Is that a Scout Mount for the scope?

Try the cork trick, you'll tighten up that already small group. It's easy and reversible, if you aren't happy with it.

Brian
Old 05-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #14
12vman
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
Is that a Scout Mount for the scope?

Try the cork trick, you'll tighten up that already small group. It's easy and reversible, if you aren't happy with it.

Brian
No..to be honest w/ you it is a 22/airgun mount ..UTI I think.....that works perfectly and attaches to the whole length of the dovetail mount...pretty rock solid...it is in the scout configuration though

liked it so much I hv the same setup on a carbine MN
Old 05-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #15
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
No..to be honest w/ you it is a 22/airgun mount ..UTI I think.....that works perfectly and attaches to the whole length of the dovetail mount...pretty rock solid...it is in the scout configuration though

liked it so much I hv the same setup on a carbine MN
Well now, that's interesting. That would be in keeping with "cheap and accurate" theme, here.

Brian