Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2015, 12:16 AM   #1
RetVet
Statistical Error

Unhappy Botched my M5 Aero receiver already

Got an AR-10 project in the works using an Aero Precision lower/upper. On the lower, the bolt release is held in place with a tiny 4-40 hex head set screw as opposed to a roll pin on AR15's.

Was test fitting the bolt release and installing the screw, but during that process the hex head rounded. To compound matters the small portion of the head that was exposed chipped off.

The part is installed, but it will take a very small broken screw extractor to get it out and I will need to get it out because I didn't have the mag release installed yet and I can't do that with the bolt release in the way.

Looks like I'll need to find a very sturdy, yet very tiny broken screw extractor than hope I can get that screw backed out. Must have been some fine grit in the hole, though it was lubed.

This was yesterday. I should have known better than start working on that receiver on Friday the 13th.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:31 AM   #2
slug

Damn the bad luck...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
4thIDvet
slug

RetVet find a local machinist guy that can do it for yah. Two friends here nearby that love problems like your having. One guy developed a Hummer for the military that was gas attack proof to pick up deadly gas canisters.
Other neighbor Marine Lee will stay up all night till he has it fixed. I have no patients for that stuff. If a hammer does not fix it I stay away.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:26 AM   #4
RetVet
Statistical Error

Yeah, I'll get the machine shop where I work to pull it out if I can't. Just hate the thought of screwing up a brand new receiver. No harm, no foul if I can get that screw out without messing the receiver finish. It's a tiny screw taking about the smallest allen head wrench I've found.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Sanders

I had something similar happen to me with my Beretta shotgun after the bead fell off (unscrewed itself).

I could only find those dang fiber-optic sights at Sportsman's Warehouse, and needed something on the end of the barrel for my duck/goose hunt the next day. I screwed it in and it just needed a cunt-hair more to line up. I gave it just a little bit and it snapped off.

Local gunsmith wanted to drill and tap it, and would take 2 weeks. Not acceptable. I went without.

Then, I was messing with it and took a small electronics screwdriver and tapped it down into the screw, then gave it a slight turn with a pair of pliers, and voila! It unscrewed right out.

Oh, I looked for a small enough easy-out at Brownell's and Midway, but could not find anything THAT small -- which sounds like the same small you need.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

Sanders yes the late night adds are selling some new easy out. Do not think it would be small enough for what RetVet needs though.
They joys of an AR, all those tiny springs and pins. I bought extra everything, springs flew on the first build.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Small parts are annoying as hell.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
Havoc308
Cat Batting Champion

It's aluminum, so you could use some acid or salt water to remove the screw. Use the receiver as the anode and another piece of Al as the cathode. A little current and the screw is gone in about an hour. The Al won't be damaged because it already has a good coat of Aluminum oxide on it.
Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think, and act for myself--and then I will obey every law or submit to the penalty." - Chief Joseph
Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.)
quod futue te ipsum est quid
Havoc308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
twa2471

????????? acid!!!

Even if it has even the most miniscule of scratches in the anodizing where the screw is now,,,then galvanic corrosion sets in and will attack the aluminum in a big way by using any acid or current.

If you do,,,do that,,you just turned you're receiver into a sacrificial anode like on a boat out drive or lower unit,,and the aluminum will be attacked long before the steel will,,,not a good method to remove a buggered screw.

Try Snap- On, they have some very small easy-outs available,, even though getting out a 1/16" buggered screw will be a bitch, it's a much safer method than removing it chemically!!! Even if you drill it out and re-tap it to a larger size screw,worst case senerio,,,it's still a much safer way to do it.

What do you think acid will do to the anodizing??? It sure ain't going to help it any,,that's for damn sure!!!
twa2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #10
Havoc308
Cat Batting Champion

Acid is used in anodizing. I have used it to remove broken taps from aluminum before. Just some vinegar, nothing really bad, just to make the water conductive.
Havoc308 is online now   Reply With Quote