Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2017, 12:37 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Default Here are eight of the long guns that played a role in making the American Civil War

Here are eight of the long guns that played a role in making the American Civil War the bloodiest conflict in our country’s history.

1. Springfield Model 1861
2. Pattern 1853 Enfield
3. Lorenz Rifle
4. Sharps Rifle/Carbine
5. Whitworth Rifle
6. Spencer Repeating Rifle/Carbine
7. Burnside Carbine
8. Henry Rifle

https://gundigest.com/collecting/8-l...ican-civil-war

Any collectors of these out their? Some I knew others I never heard of.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #2
RetVet
Statistical Error

Got one and two. Working on a number six.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #3
Bluntforce
slug

Exclamation

I'll be damned, I've read a LOT about the Civil War and I don't remember the Lorenz rifle specifically. One small tweak is the difference between having the best equipment or 10 pounds of shit in your hands.

(I'm reminded of my M1 with the microscopically bent trigger guard. For those of you who GAF it was chronicled and bitched about years ago in the Rifle and C&R forums.)

The most interesting tactical aspect to me is how in certain circumstances the mix of old and new technologies made for a higher body count.

At Gettysburg a New Jersey regiment was issued Buck n' Ball loads for their smooth bores. Their commanding officers was fond of shotguns and had them break their loads down to Buck only. When the Confederates that made it through the cannon fire and got close enough they were shredded by an entire section of line hitting them with concentrated Buck.

The number of times one side caught the other under either extreme long range devastation or short range smashing by happenstance is fascinating. Two sides more uniformly equipped would not have so thoroughly torn each other to shreds. Battles would have been more one-sided. Transitional eras have a way of chewing up the people in them.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Getting hit by the mini ball was generally a death sentence.
If hit in a limb, that limb usually didn't survive either.

Aimed shots vs. musket volleys, either way the receiving end suffered.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
Got one and two. Working on a number six.
https://ancestryguns.com/shop/civil-...d-cw-revolver/

https://ancestryguns.com/shop/vetera...s-and-cavalry/

https://ancestryguns.com/shop/cased-...-made-in-1861/

RetVet here are some more to look at. They are negotiable on price and decent people to deal with.
Bluntforce if you don't see what yah want here I bet these guys can find it?
These are the people I bought my 1763 Chaville from they wanted $6,100 and I cried and they gave it to me for $5,000.
They dang sure are moving these guns so their must be someone out their with cash? I dang sure ain't one of them.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Getting hit by the mini ball was generally a death sentence.
If hit in a limb, that limb usually didn't survive either.

Aimed shots vs. musket volleys, either way the receiving end suffered.
Bears besides the horrendous physical damage those Minnie balls did I think even a wound was a possible death sentence? Not so much the damage as the Drs. doing the surgery knew nothing about bacteria and infections.
No cleaning the instruments or washing their hands it was just off to the next poor troop.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

The ancient Romans solved the problem of massive wounds.
If it was obvious that the wounded wouldn't do well they cut his throat for him.
Only way to put someone out of their misery??
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
THE DUDE

all we see in a lot of movies or reenactments are muskets.
the production #'s on things like the Joslyn carbines , Smiths and various Maynard designs was huge. BUT now they are $$$ and even if you can get a repro even more $$$.

I've owned quite a bit of that era's rifles in newly made reproduction models, 1860 henry is nice, spencers are nice too but i always liked the 1863 springfield.

The .58 cal minie ball is brutal. I casted a few hundred of them and fired quite a bit along with a large amount of roundball. that is the last thing on earth i'd want shot with.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:11 AM   #9
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
The ancient Romans solved the problem of massive wounds.
If it was obvious that the wounded wouldn't do well they cut his throat for him.
Only way to put someone out of their misery??
Damn that sucks Bears.
Pretty sure that is how those guys got paid is by sharing the loot from places and peoples they conquered?
"Yo not so quick with that blade their comrade its only a flesh wound."
Old 08-15-2017, 08:16 AM   #10
RetVet
Statistical Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DUDE View Post
all we see in a lot of movies or reenactments are muskets.
the production #'s on things like the Joslyn carbines , Smiths and various Maynard designs was huge. BUT now they are $$$ and even if you can get a repro even more $$$.
A repro Spencer costs as much as an original in fairly good condition. Reproductions are just too expensive unless you shop around and find used ones in near new shape that people bought then did nothing with. That's where I've picked mine up. A colt 1861 with cartridge box/belt for $600. I have a number of original 1861/1863 Springfields.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote