Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #1
pistol-packin-wifey
Southern Gun Girl

Default springfield xd polymer v. glock

Anyone have one of these? i've handled a couple in the gun shop and i really like the feel, but how well do they shoot?

i'm a big 1911 fan, but am considering and XD polymer in .45 or a glock in .40 cal as a lighter weapon for concealed carry.

any opinions?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
magnus392
Thick Skulled Southerner

The XD-45 is the SHIZ-NIT!!! I love mine...infact I love it so much that I got rid of my Hi-Cap 1911. I haven't had a hang up out of it in 5-600 rounds I will post some pics I hope soon of it.

It feels nice in the hand, I haven't noticed any wear on the frame so far. My only concern is the side walls of the grip are really thin...I could see this thing shattering like glass if it was 10-20degrees outside and it got dropped. I could be wrong but I am not gonna take a chance if I can help it.

If you are wanting it for carry, you might try to find out if they will make a compact model. The 4" is pretty hefty...14rnds of .45acp could have something to do with that.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:26 AM   #3
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

PPW,

Did you see the latest american rifleman?

Write up on the XD-45.

O just glanced over it but they seem very fond of it.

I've handled and shot the XD in 9 and 40 Small & Weak () and I like them better than comparable Glocks. Think it might be grip angle, gun just feels right to me.

Have not had an opportunity to shoot the 45, they seem to be in short supply here and most are spoken for before they arrive!

Might help if Magnus or someone could give you the width, 1911 vs XD. with a semi-auto, on a smaller frame person, thickness can be a bigger problem than length or height, in some cases.

you might want to visit the forums at www.packing.org and see what's being said by users if the weapons you're considering re: concealability.

Good Luck!

Regards,
:_
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:39 AM   #4
pistol-packin-wifey
Southern Gun Girl

great tips guys!

Magnus: i'm sure the XD even with a hi-cap is not as heavy as my 1911 A1 mil spec Champion w 7 rounds......or maybe comparable, but with almost double the rounds so that's what i mean about it being lighter.

5knives:

i did see the article and it's what's gotten me thinking about the XD again. i agree with you......it just feels more "right" in my hand than a glock but i've never shot the XD.

it would help greatly if someone could give me a width on the XD in .45 acp, as i do have small hands and thickness is a typical problem for me. The XDs i've played with in the gunshop felt more ergonomically correct than the glocks i've handled, but if Magnus or someone else knows the actual specs, ,1911 vs. XD vs. Glock grip thickness, i'd be really interested.

thanks guys!!!
pistol-packin-wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:40 AM   #5
magnus392
Thick Skulled Southerner

Quote:
Magnus: i'm sure the XD even with a hi-cap is not as heavy as my 1911 A1 mil spec Champion w 7 rounds......or maybe comparable, but with almost double the rounds so that's what i mean about it being lighter.
I have both and will weigh them tommorow at my mom's

The Champ's grip is 1 3/8'" across at the widest points of the grip panels arcross the bottoms of the grip

The XD is 1 1/8" across the base plate.

Last edited by magnus392; 03-29-2006 at 01:47 AM.
magnus392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:48 AM   #6
magnus392
Thick Skulled Southerner

I dont' have a Grock, or I would measure it, lol.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
pistol-packin-wifey
Southern Gun Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus392
I have both and will weigh them tommorow at my mom's

The Champ's grip is 1 3/8'" across at the widest points of the grip panels arcross the bottoms of the grip

The XD is 1 1/8" across the base plate.
great info! thanks, Magnus!

cheezy has a glock.....i can measure that, though it's not .40 cal.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:24 AM   #8
ACOG

I like the XD I have seen them do the same stress test that they do on the Glock's and come threw with no problems. I have only shot the 9mm and really enjoyed it. I plan on getting the XD in 45 my self. Even though Springfield sed I should not put shotshell in it and that was the main reson I wanted one was for a light weight carry/work gun. But beside that I will still look to get one to have around.
ACOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #9
magnus392
Thick Skulled Southerner

OK here are some numbers:

Springfield XD-45
Cap: 13+1 Federal Hydrashocks
Weight Loaded: 2lbs 5oz

Springfield Champion:
Cap: 7+1 Federal Hyrdashocks
Weight Loaded: 2lbs 11oz

I will post pics of both tommorow night. My Champ has the heavy barrel, not the standard GI barrel.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:41 AM   #10
pistol-packin-wifey
Southern Gun Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus392
OK here are some numbers:

Springfield XD-45
Cap: 13+1 Federal Hydrashocks
Weight Loaded: 2lbs 5oz

Springfield Champion:
Cap: 7+1 Federal Hyrdashocks
Weight Loaded: 2lbs 11oz

I will post pics of both tommorow night. My Champ has the heavy barrel, not the standard GI barrel.

hmmm lighter than my champ even with 6 extra hydrashocks
thanks again magnus!
Old 04-01-2006, 01:13 AM   #11
magnus392
Thick Skulled Southerner

Yeah I was kinda suprised by that, but like I said that heavy barrel wieghs a ton. The XD has the light barrel similar in style to the GI 1911.