Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Gardening, Animal Husbandry, and Yard Care
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2015, 05:21 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Default Hydroponics: A farming revolution

""Hydroponic is done exclusively in water” he said."

"Hydroponic farming, growing plants indoors, without soil, originated more than 60 years ago, but it was only recently the practice took off"
http://www.fox5ny.com/news/62762241-story
Old 12-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Railbuggy

I read the US government got into hydroponics right after WW2. The occupying troops on some of the Japanese Islands were getting ill from eating local produce grown in the ground that had high levels of (night earth)human waste. It cost less to build hydroponic farms than to fly fresh produce to them. There is a WormsWay hydro store in Kentucky near the Greater Cincinnati Airport. I checked it out in 2003.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
""Hydroponic is done exclusively in water” he said."

"Hydroponic farming, growing plants indoors, without soil, originated more than 60 years ago, but it was only recently the practice took off"
http://www.fox5ny.com/news/62762241-story
I know several people that practice hydroponic propagation.
The biggest problem with the produce is the lack of trace minerals.
Some have addressed this problem, others are simply cosmetic producers of the product that is low in real nutrition.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

I wonder if they can add the nutrients in liquid fertilizer form too the water Bears? They reuse the water which would be ideal for drought A.O.s..
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
I wonder if they can add the nutrients in liquid fertilizer form too the water Bears? They reuse the water which would be ideal for drought A.O.s..
Yes, there are formulations for trace minerals, but they are expensive.
The alternative is 'compost tea' with a faster circulation system.
I used that method, many years ago, after I was told it wouldn't work.
Proved otherwise.

The 'consensus' was that too much algae would grow, not true.

Oh well, those days of 'gardening' are long gone, wish they were not.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:35 AM   #6
WWes
Dud

I've never done a hydroponic grow. I don't like grocery purchases. Can't ay it's not an option.?
WWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:06 AM   #7
baboon
slug

You have to be very careful buying Hydroponic Growing Systems. I read where a former CIA guy & his family were raided by police thinking they were setting up to grow weed.

They bought it for their sons school science fair & it was meant for growing tomatoes. After the cops failed to find weed growing they tore up the house looking for personal use weed!
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
Railbuggy

I ran a loop system on a timer back in 2003/4 using two pumps in my 20 gallon reservoir. I built my own Water Farm system with a few of my own modifications. My system used two pumps.
One would push the nutrient (tea) to my dripper rings at the base of the plants. The second pump would suck the nutrient back to the reservoir. I used the little baked clay balls that looked like coco puffs instead of dirt. My water farm units were made from 4 gal square plastic buckets.The grow bucket was cut in half and the bottom part was dropped into the top and secured with a alu rivet. The grow bucket was then placed inside a full size bucket that had a hole drilled on the bottom side to hold a 1"rubber grommets that held the 1/2" T and L fittings. I used dark blue 1/2"ID hose to suck the tea back to my res, and 1/4" od poly tubing as my feed lines. I had a ph meter and a nutrient meter to keep the tomatos happy. I retired from hydroponics when the Feds invaded Canada and took Marc Emerys servers.
Railbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote