Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 04-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
Driswalds
Starcastle Champion

Default Found free brass and now know why

I went to a outdoor range to test fire a ar15 I built and to test a new 9mm and a 40 load and holy crap laying all over the range was 223 brass. I picked up over 500 in a few minutes and left way more than I picked up. I never loaded rifle before and thought I hit it rich. I went to the lgs and picked up all the crap to load 223. Cost around 200 bucks to start off. Figured out to be about .25 a round. Then saw an add from aim for wolf brass at 280 for 1000 rounds. I guess the Hornady bullets are an upgrade but now understand why they let it sit on the ground.
Driswalds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Well, you STILL have some brass. Wish I had been there, I like to melt brass in my foundry.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
Sanders

The initial buy in isn't cheap, but the more you shoot, the cheaper it gets.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
cerberus
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
The initial buy in isn't cheap, but the more you shoot, the cheaper it gets.
For sure. Back when I was reloading, I was rolling my own .44mag for about the cost of plated .22lr
Only thing I do now is 30.06 and .308 with Accelerators.
cerberus
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:43 PM   #5
Railbuggy

I would pretty much have to start over with new or used equipment. Most of my LEE equipment wound up at pawn shops. I'll still save brass as it has value. I was set up for 45acp-45colt-30/06-308 and 12ga with my Mec 600jr.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
belt-fed

all my 223 brass gets re sized in too 300 black out
belt-fed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
500grains
Soldier of Allah

I squish all brass with a hammer so that it cannot be re-used by evil gun owners.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
Legion489
Dud

Yes, it costs "HOW MUCH DID YOU SAY?!" to get started, but once you get going it is great fun, relaxing and going to save you money in the long run. You will never "pay for the equipment" because you are shooting five or six times as much as you used to, so it all goes into powder, primers and bullets.

Like any hobby, it costs a lot of money to save money. Look at that wood working shop you put together to "save some money on the new cabinets", or whatever it was, which then grew into a full time enjoyable hobby that you never regretted.

The same here. Yes, Wolf and the other steel cased stuff is cheap. If all you want is to make noise, and heck, I like to do that too sometimes, they are fine. Until you have to clean all the crud out of the barrel and gas posts, and action, replace that extractor (sooner or later, depending if it is a high quality extractor, your gun likes steel cases, everything is timed right, etc., etc), so on and so forth. Just buy cheap mil pull down bullets for cheap plinking ammo you can put together cheap if that is what you want.

Speaking of regretted, the ONLY reloading tools I ever regretted buying was buying Lee presses. Having actually owned or used every Lee press except the Lee CAST CLASSICS, and if you go look at the various Lee press sites, they seem to run hot and cold too, I actually know what I am talking about. Love Lee dies, love Lee DISK powder measures (I hear about but have never actually been allowed to see a working "Perfect Powder Measure", which isn't perfect), the OLD hand primer seaters, etc.

Probably getting off topic here and as the new guy should probably not post anything so soon. Yeah, that ain't gonna happen!
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Good post Legion489 !!!
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
Driswalds
Starcastle Champion

I keep finding the Brass sitting on the range and keep reloading it. Its almost a sickness.
Honestly I am reloading them for about 30.00 less then i could by them but I am also using a Hornady soft point. Cant find a good soft point at that price point.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
remus

I've been handloading since 1959. Still have my first set of dies and they still work well. My present single stage is an RCBS rockchucker I bought in 1980. I also use a Dillon 650 for 9mm and 45acp. I reload for about 20 calibers, cast certain pistol and rifle bullets. I will pick up any and all brass left on a range or shooting spot. If I don't load it, it goes into a bucket for sale at a metal reclaiming station. It's a good lifelong hobby that is enjoyable.
remus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driswalds View Post
I went to a outdoor range to test fire a ar15 I built and to test a new 9mm and a 40 load and holy crap laying all over the range was 223 brass. I picked up over 500 in a few minutes and left way more than I picked up. I never loaded rifle before and thought I hit it rich. I went to the lgs and picked up all the crap to load 223. Cost around 200 bucks to start off. Figured out to be about .25 a round. Then saw an add from aim for wolf brass at 280 for 1000 rounds. I guess the Hornady bullets are an upgrade but now understand why they let it sit on the ground.
Check to make sure it's boxer primed or you will break a lot of decapping pins.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
Driswalds
Starcastle Champion

Iv done a little over 1k without losing any pins. Its been awhile since Iv been their but I am working up a load for my 308 and plan on going this week. I really hope 223 cases are not sitting around because I will pick them up. I really don't need more 223 but I will load it if I hind them. 308 is a different story it don't sit. The yuppies don't fire something that bruises their shoulders LOL
Old 10-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #14
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driswalds View Post
Iv done a little over 1k without losing any pins. Its been awhile since Iv been their but I am working up a load for my 308 and plan on going this week. I really hope 223 cases are not sitting around because I will pick them up. I really don't need more 223 but I will load it if I hind them. 308 is a different story it don't sit. The yuppies don't fire something that bruises their shoulders LOL
You know you are really into it when you start thinking that one of these is a good idea... http://www.ammoupusa.com/
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote