Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Camping, Backpacking, Outdoor Survival Skills
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
Sanders

Default Field Tested: The ROAM app from onXMaps

I downloaded it onto my smart phone, and will test it out, myself. The thing that always gets me is that with a lot of those map apps, if you lose cell service, you lose your map. According to the article, that does not happen with this app. If it works as advertised, it will do everything my cousin's $400 Garmin GPS will do for a subscription cost of $10-$20/year.

Quote:
In the never ending quest to get lost without actually––getting lost, the mobile device, GPS, and portable computer have supplanted the paper map as the adventurer’s go-to. This does not discount the value of a folded map, but our digital tools can now display more data than can fit on a thousand sheets of paper. There are many other advantages to electronic charts. Unlike printed maps which get dated quickly, digital map information can be made current with a click of a button. The challenge with digital systems has always been functionality and the quality of the information provided. Some have been glitchy, slow to load, inconsistent from one area to the next, or just––bad all the way around.

Montana based onXmaps was Founded in 2009 by Eric Siegfried with a specific mission. As a hunter he wanted a digital solution to precisely define the invisible lines that delineate public from private land. It was, and is still, a critical consideration for those prone to venture off trail. From those origins he created a new platform aimed at the general outdoor enthusiast and gave it the appropriate moniker––ROAM.
https://expeditionportal.com/field-t...-from-onxmaps/

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
aviator
unum de multis

Be careful now. If you have an Apple iPhone6, their GPS receiver not only uses US satellites but Russian satellites too so make sure they don't hack into your emails and wind up in the news.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I have a Garmin and a Magellan hand held GPS. I don't see a lot of need to update the maps for my use. I use it to locate ridges, streams, valleys, hills, etc. Those terrain features don't change much if any over time.

I prefer my old Magellan. Only thing it isn't color. I used it in the Rockies in Canada and in the US last year. It got me around as good as any. They don't make them anymore. I wish I had got one that had color when I bought it.

If I was wanting it for roads and trails I would probably need to update it ever few years. But I have a Tom Tom and a built in GPS in my car.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
Sanders

The big selling point for me is the ability to tell if you are on private or public land. Where I live, it is a checkerboard of private, state, and federal land.

When you are hunting many areas, it is very easy to wind up on private land and get yourself in trouble. Not all property boundaries are marked clearly. Plus, a lot of ranchers will claim public land as their own and try and run you off. If you can pull out your handy-dandy GPS that shows where their land ends, it kind of takes the wind out of their sails. My cousin ran into that situation once, already. Pissed off the rancher, because he knew he was wrong but had been getting away with it for a long time.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
The big selling point for me is the ability to tell if you are on private or public land. Where I live, it is a checkerboard of private, state, and federal land.

When you are hunting many areas, it is very easy to wind up on private land and get yourself in trouble. Not all property boundaries are marked clearly. Plus, a lot of ranchers will claim public land as their own and try and run you off. If you can pull out your handy-dandy GPS that shows where their land ends, it kind of takes the wind out of their sails. My cousin ran into that situation once, already. Pissed off the rancher, because he knew he was wrong but had been getting away with it for a long time.
That makes sense. I don't hunt so it's not that important to me.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #6
500grains
Soldier of Allah

I only use free apps. Maybe in the future I will decide otherwise, but for now that is how it is.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
I only use free apps. Maybe in the future I will decide otherwise, but for now that is how it is.
I have bought a few apps. But many free apps are as good as the ones you pay for.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote