Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Sanders

Default Huge, once-hated fish now seen as weapon against Asian carp

That's what happens when you go messing with the ecosystem. You may get rid of something you think is a pest, only to have it replaced with something even worse.

Quote:
It's a toothy giant that can grow longer than a horse and heavier than a refrigerator, a fearsome-looking prehistoric fish that plied U.S. waters from the Gulf of Mexico to Illinois until it disappeared from many states a half-century ago.

Persecuted by anglers and deprived of places to spawn, the alligator gar — with a head that resembles an alligator and two rows of needlelike teeth — survived primarily in southern states in the tributaries of the Mississippi River and Gulf of Mexico after being declared extinct in several states farther north. To many, it was a freak, a "trash fish" that threatened sportfish, something to be exterminated.

But the once-reviled predator is now being seen as a valuable fish in its own right, and as a potential weapon against a more threatening intruder: the invasive Asian carp, which have swum almost unchecked toward the Great Lakes, with little more than an electric barrier to keep them at bay. Efforts are now underway to reintroduce the alligator gar in the northern part of its old range.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/huge-o...053052931.html

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
hangfire
Home on the range

I used to catch them all the time here. Still can.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
aviator
unum de multis

I used to shoot them in the mud during the dry season when I was a kid.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:49 PM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

We have a lot of the Florida Gar here. I am sure their are some Gator Gar's around but I have not seen one on the St. John's. Maybe down aviator's way their may be some still living?
If the boa constrictors ain't ate em..

https://www.takemefishing.org/fish-species/florida-gar/

ADD. When the gar show up all fish leave the A.O.. Their a pain in the ass.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:37 AM   #5
WWes
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
We have a lot of the Florida Gar here. I am sure their are some Gator Gar's around but I have not seen one on the St. John's. Maybe down aviator's way their may be some still living?
If the boa constrictors ain't ate em..

https://www.takemefishing.org/fish-species/florida-gar/

ADD. When the gar show up all fish leave the A.O.. Their a pain in the ass.
We've got skinny little gar up here but when they set up camp the fishing is over. Worse than beavers.
WWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:42 AM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

Yeah same here Wes fishing be done. The alligator gar will for sure eat the Asian carp but what their not saying is they will eat anything they can get ahold of.
Good game fish will be on the menu also. My neighbor swears by them being the best fish he ever et. He takes the back strap out and cooks em up.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Worse than the Asian Carp is the Snakehead. If they ever get in the Great Lakes the eco system will be changed forever.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #8
baboon
slug

I've seen some huge alligator gar in the Brazos river. Very cool fish in my mind. I know shitskins & chilishitters will eat them. Indians made arrow heads out of their scales. Frayed out nylon rope with catch them. They get their teeth caught in them.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #9
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Worse than the Asian Carp is the Snakehead. If they ever get in the Great Lakes the eco system will be changed forever.
Interesting I had to look them up Pogo. Yeah not good. Now we have the Armored Catfish here tearing up the river. They can cost some money if they undermine a homeowners sea wall.

"Armored catfish wreaking havoc in South Florida lakes"

"A species of "armored catfish" are damaging South Florida's lakes, causing coastal erosion and even burrowing holes that trip up humans walking along the water's edge."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/sid...182812663.html
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
ColonelKorn
High Priest of Honkydom

Gar are supposedly tasty, but you need a pair of tin snips to skin them
Old 09-24-2016, 10:35 PM   #11
500grains
Soldier of Allah

I will eat them.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #12
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelKorn View Post
Gar are supposedly tasty, but you need a pair of tin snips to skin them
I have heard that too, but never from a white guy!
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote