Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Question Anyone Crappie fish?

Speckled perch, Crappie. Season is on down here. Florida fish run 2 too 3lbs.+ Not a real lot of fight, I use super light tackle.
Super lite mild tasting fish, almost like filet of sole. Most people filet them, lot of good slabs on the fish. I like to just clean, scale and deep fry. The tail once deep fried tastes like a potato chip.
I just hate killing the damn things.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crap...2&ved=0CB0QsAQ
Old 10-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

We have lots of fresh water crappie around here.
Reservoirs, rivers, everywhere.

Yep, they are quite tasty, prepared right.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
sniper69

I love a big plate of deep fried crappie filets. They are a tasty fish, just like bream/blue gills. They are fun to catch on an ultra light setup.
"To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005
sniper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Railbuggy

The lakes and ponds are full of them in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. I mostly fish deadline from the banks of the Ohio river trying for the big cats. Bluegill and crappie make a fine meal or bait.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
10 Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper69 View Post
I love a big plate of deep fried crappie filets. They are a tasty fish, just like bream/blue gills. They are fun to catch on an ultra light setup.
Bluegills, now there's a fun little fish. Just can't find line light enough to make a "fight" interesting.

I was fishing with a Game Warden, many years ago. We were storing the bluegills in a gunny sack, in the water. Dang, throw in the line, pull out a fish, on and on.

Finally asked him, "What's the limit on Bluegill?"
He though for a bit, "I think it's a hundred, or all you can carry." with a smile.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
RetVet
Statistical Error

We used to catch bluegill in the lumber mill pond. Those things would bite on anything used for bait. Good fish, but very bony.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
sniper69

I know some people say it is strange, but I like bluegills fileted (both with or without skin) (no bones that way). Then put them in a egg/milk wash and then into some ritz cracker crumbs. Deep fry them and they go down faster than potato chips.
sniper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
10 Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper69 View Post
I know some people say it is strange, but I like bluegills fileted (both with or without skin) (no bones that way). Then put them in a egg/milk wash and then into some ritz cracker crumbs. Deep fry them and they go down faster than potato chips.
Yep, the Warden I was fishing with also did that.
He had a way with the fillet knife, skinning and filleting.
Never cleaned those bluegills, just skinned and filleted each side.

He had a batter mix that was awsome!
Old 10-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
4thIDvet
slug

If you like pan fishing try these guys. Lite tackle, hang on.
https://www.google.com/search?q=crap...ml%3B800%3B528

Good fight, good eating fish. They hang close to the river banks and eat anything that gets near them.
Broke my minnow bucket so I had to put the minnows in the live well with a few War-mouths. The damn S.O.B.s ate every damn minnow in their. Their the N. American fresh water version of piranha.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Crappie is good eating. I always skin and filet Bluegill or Crappie. I don't like messing with the tiny bones.

Only fish that I cook with the bones on is Northern Pike. That is some good eating fish. I like it better than Walleye.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
4thIDvet
slug

Pogo. I still feel bad the boat was not running when all you guys came by to visit. Damn my Irish luck. Now Nick took the dang carburetors apart and cleaned them. Damn that corn gas.
You visit your relatives again in south Florida, you best stop in here and do some fishing. Cleaning up my Crappie tackle bag, got more fishing gear and ready to go.
My flats fishing Nam Marine bestest Bro Bill. Get up here, I am on the strippers, we can not miss. Oh my God yeah right. Every day I am catching strippers. Bill shows up, not one damn fish. Damn.
Am I spilling that right, not the girls the fish I was catching?

https://www.google.com/search?q=crap...Stripped+bass+
The strippers are cross breeding with the large mouth bass. Good eating, good fighting fish. Fun as all hell.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #12
OneShot729
Breakout Champion

If I could find a lake around here with decent crappie in it, I'd fish for them all the time. As it is, I'm lucky if the ones I do catch are as long as my hand.
OneShot729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
The Lurker

4th, try fishing over at Lake Disston. Its a big lake with only one ramp, and that ramp is a little difficult to launch from due to the water staying shallow a long way out.

But the fish are the size of dinner plates!!
The Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
4th, try fishing over at Lake Disston. Its a big lake with only one ramp, and that ramp is a little difficult to launch from due to the water staying shallow a long way out.

But the fish are the size of dinner plates!!
Lurker good to hear from you. I have been busy over here but still would like to get too your shooting range over your way.
Good tip on the lake, thank you. I was going down to Dexter and Woodruff to crappie fish. But hell once they start hitting here, we can get more than enough to eat.