Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 03-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #1
Bluntforce
slug

Question K98k Why was the cleaning rod retained?

I'm doing some research on Mauser cleaning kits and I see in the 30s the Germans went to a stamped steel, double hinged door box that held a pull through chain for bore cleaning. Why was the cleaning rod retained?

If it was for stacking, did rifle stacking take place anywhere after 1914 except in training camps? The scene in Breaker Morant where the Boers knock down the stacked Enfields shows the folly of doing so. The shitty thing is they were probably still connected.

I have a Russian capture Vz. 24 Romanian with an incompletely scrubbed King Karel II crest on it. It has what I assume to be some Russian made cleaning rod because it has a hole through it on the non-threaded end that is perfectly round and about the diameter of a wooden pencil's lead. It cannot attach to other rods or hold a patch in a slot like other Mauser cleaning rods. I note that Czech/Slovak manufactured Vz. 24s for domestic use have more normal looking slotted rods. Is this some Russian contrivance or did the Romanians have a different kit or doctrine?

If it's not used for cleaning or stacking it's wasted weight, a hindrance to mounting the bayonet and just something to catch vegetation in the field. I put mine in a parts drawer along with the annoying sight hood and cavalry swivel in the grip (made wooden plugs to fill the holes to keep dirt out, it can be re-installed when ownership passes).
Old 04-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
Stalky

I don't know much of anything but I think the pull thru cleaning kits were made for a field quick cleaning. The rod was more of an after action or stand down time so to speak. I think.
Stalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
baboon
slug

A rod will knock out a stuck case. Hell knowing German's love of all sausage's it could serve to cook sasuages over an open flame.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
THE DUDE

sure it isnt some goofy ak or sks rod?
THE DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Bluntforce
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DUDE View Post
sure it isnt some goofy ak or sks rod?
Must be. It sure as hell isn't a Mauser rod.
Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
A rod will knock out a stuck case. Hell knowing German's love of all sausage's it could serve to cook sasuages over an open flame.
That!
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:31 PM   #7
rds1220
Banned

I thought the purpose of the cleaning rod on the K98k was for soldiers to put three short pieces together to make one full length rod to clean their rifles.
rds1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds1220 View Post
I thought the purpose of the cleaning rod on the K98k was for soldiers to put three short pieces together to make one full length rod to clean their rifles.
Yep. The pull-thu chain in the cleaning kits was for quick & dirty maintenance in the field.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
This is probably true as well.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote