Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Default Do you like to cook in cast iron?

That's my favorite. My wife seems to prefer the Revere Ware stainless steel stainless steel pans and skillets with a copper bottom. She prefers them because of the lighter weight, especially in the larger pots and pans.

I think the copper bottom pans and skillets are OK, but I still prefer the heavier cast iron. I don't care for Teflon or other coated cookware.

I found a cast iron lid for my 13.5" Lodge cast iron skillet. I ordered it yesterday. I got the lid for $51.39.

That's expensive I know. I gave about $25 for my skillet to go camping with years ago. I've also got a Lodge dutch oven and Lodge tea pot.

What is your favorite kind of cookware?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
RetVet
Statistical Error

Teflon I reserve for eggs , omlets, and such. Stainless steel/copper bottom's for rice, pasta, and stuff to boil. For everything else I use a cast iron to include making tortillas.

I've got a small cast iron dutch oven, but have yet to use it. I look for cast iron ware at flea markets and garage sales. You can't beat those old cast iron pans, well used and well seasoned.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I only have one cast iron pot/lid left.
The drunk g'son made off with all the others.
Including skillets, with lids and various other sizes of pots and Dutch ovens.

Oh well, if he doesn't hock 'em for booze they will be put to good use, I hope.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Gus

Quote:
Do you like to cook in cast iron?
I think some foods are much more tasty cooked in cast iron skillets for example fired eggs. The key to cast iron skillets is to keep them greased IMO

My wife cooks many things on a griddle, pan cakes, french toast, bacon etc.

Cast iron makes for even heat and works very good
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
hangfire
Home on the range

I use mine alot. Just be sure to season them with animal fat, bacon grease, etc. vegetable oils make them sticky
Old 11-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
10 Bears

My ol' huntin' buddy was also a great camp cook.
Surprised everybody, on a trip.
We had a small camp, with three vehicles surround the campsite, out in the desert.
Built a good campfire, sitting around warming ourselves, early morning.
About the time we decided to take off, everyone thoght John was just burrying the campfire.
After six or seven hours out walking and shooting at various varmints, we all, finally came back to the campsite/vehicles.
Most of 'em wanted to head back to town and get something to eat.
John brought out tin plates and silverware, told everyone to have a seat.
Dug out his dutch oven, where he had burried it among the coals and served up a fantastic venison stew.
He had precooked it at home, then it finished it up at the campsite.

Miss my old huntin' buddy, he allways came up with good stuff!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Sanders

I much prefer my cast iron for cooking.

I have one skillet that is around 100 yrs. old and is so well seasoned, it is better than teflon.

Only buy American-made cast iron - overseas manufactured cast iron has high lead content.

As Hangfire said, only season with animal grease - a very light coat and baked for a few hours at 250 degrees, then wipe clean with a paper towel.

Never scrub your cast iron - boil it clean if you have stubborn food stuck to it.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
gunkgy

I bought a small fry pan to use to cook eggs only in it. I was just getting it seasoned just right so the eggs didn't stick, some ass wipe in my house put it in the dish washer. I now have to remove rust and start all over again.

Boy did that piss me off... I hit the fricken roof.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Only buy American-made cast iron - overseas manufactured cast iron has high lead content.
Absolutely. I've got a couple of very old Griswold cast iron skillets and a waffle iron made by them.

The waffle iron is to be used over a fire. It's a lot of trouble getting out and using, but sure makes good waffles.

And I have a couple of Wagner cast iron skillets and a corn pone pan.

My big skillet is a Lodge.

I wouldn't eat something that I knew was cooked in foreign cast iron.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Oh Boy!

You don't want to get me started on cast iron cooking gear.

But I'll try to hold it down.

Can't make a REAL pineapple upside down cake like the old bisquick recipe UNLESS you use a well seasoned cast iron skillet.

Can't make REAL chili in anything except cast iron, why? just one of those mysteries of life guess.

Cast iron Dutch Oven is the original slow cooker, and out performs the kind with a plug in cord about 8 ways from Sunday.
The old man's method with new was to boil up a mess of potato peelings first in a new piece, claimed it drew the oils and debris out of the pores, then it got baked to 350 and he'd add the lard or other animal fat and bake it at 250 for a few hours, let it cool and use it.

When he was salvedgeing resturaunts and hotels fallen on hard times, he moved around
around a lot, usually donated his own cast iron to whatever resturaunt he'd been working, and bought new at his next , "too heavy to haul around" was his explanation.

Left all my cast iron with in-laws in WI when we moved, brought the Stainless steel clad aluminum with (it has it's uses, as has been mentioned) Bought some fair to middlin teflon stuff which has held up better than anticipated, but will be replaced this year with cast iron, USA made only.

Never mastered the old man's skill to produce perfect omlets with a cast iron skillet so I'll keep on buying an 8" teflon coated aluminum pan for that purpose, long as you keep it moving like you should, the 15-30 seconds it takes to cook an omelet works okay.

Electric stove here and I hate 'em, I want to see flames so I can adjust the heat properly, takes damn near a year to figure out an electric stove or oven, cause their errors are non-linear.

Don't know if I'm making any sense or not, so I'll shut up now.

Except for saying CAST IRON RULES!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
10 Bears

The only flames I want in my house come from the pellet stove, prior to that it was the wood burning cast iron stove we used.
I don't like gas stoves, for cooking or anything else.
Don't like the smell of propane and gas lines are bombs looking for a place/time to detonate.

Personal opinion, others have theirs.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
RTO

We used to cook a lot with cast iron until my wife had to have a glass top stove. The manufacturer strongly advised against using cast iron on top because of scratching the surface or breaking if something heavy is dropped on it. We still use what we can in the oven.

We have about ten pieces of cast iron including skillets, Dutch oven, griddle, wedge maker skillet for corn bread and a few others. The newest piece is at least twenty five years old. Some of it I inherited from my Grandmother and is older than my tired self.

Since Pogo started this thread I have been looking for something that will protect the surface of the glass top and allow us to use the cast iron.

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

If I were king, cast iron would be the only legal cookware. Do I like it? YES! We have an old 12" skillet and an 8qt pot with a lid. We have used the pot for deep frying, stews and whatever. The skillet doesn't get used enough. I'd like to find some old smaller pieces, as I believe the old pieces are a better quality iron and haven't been "alloyed" with years worth of "recycling".

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #14
AKWARRIOR
Gone

I cook in cast iron most the time.Just keep it seasoned and they last a couple lifetimes,unlike all that pot metal crap that bends and might last a year.I have a cast iron frying pan and a griddle that I use the most.I need another dutch oven.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined"-Patrick Henry
AKWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
DorGunR

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTO View Post
We used to cook a lot with cast iron until my wife had to have a glass top stove. The manufacturer strongly advised against using cast iron on top because of scratching the surface or breaking if something heavy is dropped on it. We still use what we can in the oven.

We have about ten pieces of cast iron including skillets, Dutch oven, griddle, wedge maker skillet for corn bread and a few others. The newest piece is at least twenty five years old. Some of it I inherited from my Grandmother and is older than my tired self.

Since Pogo started this thread I have been looking for something that will protect the surface of the glass top and allow us to use the cast iron.
I could have written the same thing.
DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote