Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Gus

Default Remington 22 High Velocity (golden bullet)

I bought several 500 round bricks of this ammunition and am amazed at the poor performance and high amount of weak loads that won't cycle most 22 automatic rifles/pistols. I've kept fairly good track of this and estimate 5 to 10 weak rounds per 50 round box. They all seem to have prime material as they all pop but some are so weak I worry the slug may not have cleared the muzzle, so far they have made it out the end. I personally will never purchase any Remington 22 ammunition in the future of any kind.

I was using a near new Ruger 10/22 rifle for this evaluation, a very good rifle that with decent ammunition functions flawlessly. Also a Ruger Mark II stainless steel pistol in excellent mechanical condition that with good ammunition functions flawlessly.

On the bright side I have fired 1000's of Federal hollow point ammunition bought in a brick of 550 rounds without one dud that I can recall and out of several different 22 rifles and pistols in addition to those listed above.

What are your experiences with 22 rim fire ammunition?
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Huh, that's wierd. I've always had great luck with the Remington Golden Bullets. Every now and again you'll find one that just goes "poof", but nowhere near the numbers you found. That sucks, I just bought a bunch of this shit in December, too. The cheap Federal champion ammo is pretty good. The wolf Target is good, too. I usually use CCI stingers if I'm expecting squirrel/cat/vermin encounter.

All in all though, rimfire ammo can be really good or really shitty. The Remington Thunderbolt is a good example of a shitty cartridge. But the absolutely most consistent ammo I ever shot was a CCI Green-Tag, out of a Remington 552. I used to shoot a crap-load of it in junior level shooting competitions with that rifle/ammo combination. It was open-sights only competition, and the rifle/ammo combination worked very well.

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Bullet case seal on any .22 Lr is lousy, subject to easy water and chemical contamination. Storage could be the problem.

Main reason I've switched to 22 Mag for hunting, and why 22 LR is NOT a good choice for personal defense, along with general weakness of course.

22 Mag is a different story.

Never had much trouble with golden bullets, and Thunderbolts do suck. But I've stuck with Federal or winchester for a long time now w/o problems.

Back in the '50's and '60's if you had any problem with a .22 it was always because you were shooting Federals.

CCI is/was always a good choice.

times do change!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Yeah, I think you either got a bad batch or something happened to them after being manufactured. I've always had good luck with Remington ammo. I always buy the bulk pack of 550 bullets. I believe around $10.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Gus

The Remington 22 High Velocity (golden bullet) I bought were kept indoors (air-conditioned) so humidity was not a problem while I had them. How or where they were kept before I purchased them could be a different story?
If it was moisture from improper storage somewhere along the line would the primers still function, I kind of thought damp or wet would ruin them as well as the powder?

I purchased them from Academy a good sized sporting good chain here.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

All companies have screw ups. Peter Pan shipped out a batch of peanut butter that was bad a few weeks ago.

It could have been any number of reasons. Myself, I've always like Remington .22 LR ammo - mostly because of the price.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
Rew

I use what ever is on sale at Wal-mart. For me .22lr is a plinking and training round. I don't even hunt small game with it anymore. I use a muzzle loader, bow or wrist rocket instead. My .22 handguns are revolvers and my rifles are a 10-22 that I swear will eat anything and a old Savage bolt action that I have not shot in years.

A little trivia for everyone. For many years all .22 and .22 mag ammo loaded by Winchester had an H stamped on the base of the case. Who knows why?
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
Sanders

I've never had any trouble with them. I have a tin sitting above my desk right now. It's one of the collector tins that had 500 rounds in it. I shot all of the through my Ruger 22/45 which is just a different version of the MkII.

I just finished off a Federal 550 round bulk pack that I'd bought when I used to go to Walmart. It was at least 10 years old and had ridden in my truck box for 2 of those years in all sorts of weather - below freezing winters and 100+ degree summers. Never had a misfire from them.

I REALLY liked Winchester Dynapoints in .22 LR, but I can't find them for sale anymore in bulk.

But CCI and Wolf target loads are the way to go for serious accuracy shooting.

I usually just buy a brick of whatever is on sale, which alternates between CCI Blazers and Federal 550 packs.

Edited to add: The worst ammo I ever encountered was a new run of nostalgic boxed Remington-Peters. I had the same problems with it that you had with your Golden Bullets.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew
I use what ever is on sale at Wal-mart. For me .22lr is a plinking and training round. I don't even hunt small game with it anymore. I use a muzzle loader, bow or wrist rocket instead. My .22 handguns are revolvers and my rifles are a 10-22 that I swear will eat anything and a old Savage bolt action that I have not shot in years.

A little trivia for everyone. For many years all .22 and .22 mag ammo loaded by Winchester had an H stamped on the base of the case. Who knows why?
Ammunition was head stamped with an "H" in honor of B. Tyler Henry
Old 02-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
Rew

Correct Gus
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

I use remingtons in my p22. it doesnt like to cycle with most ammo.

Stingers are the best IMHO. Unless you look for target ammo, then I was using S&K i think it was.

otherwise, Ill shoot about anything from my 552.

my dad prefers am. eagle.

PMC has some goo on em and it sucks wiping each bullet off.

Plink w/ Fed, Win, or Rem in the bulk boxes. Rely on Stingers or Quick Shot (both CCI).
Old 03-28-2007, 08:22 PM   #12
hanover67

I use Remington Standard Velocity Target .22's in my Remington 511 for smallbore silhouette shooting and it seems to be fine. I haven't had a dud or mis-fire so far.
hanover67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
Blammer
Bowling Champion

Thumbs down The GB's have had a BAD rep for a LONG Time!

Bad enough that my club printed a warning a few years ago that the stuff was 'unreliable' and not only weak discharge and high %'s of FTF's, but to be way slow to unload any dud rounds, as the cookoff time on the primers was several seconds after fireingpin strike on seemingly dud rounds.
I've had BAD results with Remington ammo - rimfire & centerfire Even the Mexican
Aguila stuff is more reliable
Old 03-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #14
pfalz2

Always had good luck with Federal, my brother use it almost exclusively in his pistols.
pfalz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #15
SirShoot-A-Lot

As far as cheap plinking goes, I greatly prefer Federal 550 packs over Remington. Not due to any real accuracy or reliability difference, but because the Remington stuff seems to be much dirtier than the Federal. Not that cleaning a 10/22 is any big hassle, but my cleaning regimen consists of "clean the bore after every range trip, but only clean the action when it starts having problems", and I can go a lot longer shooting Federal than with Remington before I start seeing FTF/FTEs due to crud buildup.
SirShoot-A-Lot is offline   Reply With Quote