Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 04-27-2018, 11:01 PM   #1
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

Default Today's gun show buy

Bought an interesting Colt Government Model today that dates from 1915.

It letters as being shipped to London but has no British proofs. It does, however, have an Argentine crest impressed upon the top of the slide, and the serial number (repetitive of Colt's original s.n.) in italics stamped all over the place.

Apparently, owing to some issue with Browning, Colt, Hartford could not sell directly to the Argentine, so it shipped the pistols to GB where the London Armoury was not so constrained in its sales.

Gonna have to verify all this when I get it back to the house and the books. This rinky-dink little tablet is too much like hard work, just like texting on the flip-phone.

Only thing incorrect on it as far as I can see is the magazine, but I have one that is correct back at the ranch.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:43 AM   #2
4thIDvet
slug

Old 05-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

'Ere ya go, Tim:

Continued below
Rick-a-Roo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey

A little more than you needed, eh, Tim?
Old 05-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

You broke it! It's all in pieces.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
buzgun
slug

Thumbs up

I like it
Old 05-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
You broke it! It's all in pieces.
I'll call in all the King's men...
Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #8
Sanders

I think that's a Hartford Argentine Colt.

Argentina bought a bunch of Colts before Colt sold them tooling and licensed them to make their own, which is called the Sistema Colt, a 1911 copy.

Looks like you may have a rare variation.

Quote:
M1911's

In 1914, the Argentine military adopted the Colt M1911 as their standard military sidearm and contracted with Colt to supply these guns. Argentina took shipment of 2,151 of these weapons between 1914 and 1919. Among them were the following: 321 pistols received in 1914 marked MARINA ARGENTINA (Argentina Navy), S/N C6201 – C6400 and C11501 – C11621; 1000 received in 1916, S/N C20001 – C21000; 400 received in 1919 within the S/N range of C86790 – C116594.

These pistols went through two different channels. The battleships that were being made in the USA for Argentina received the Navy pistols directly. Pistols delivered to Argentina went through the London Armoury Company.
The 1,000 pistols received in 1915 were marked with Argentine crests and property numbers 1 to 1,000 on the tops of the slides.
These pistols were designated "Pistola Colt Modelo Argentino 1916.”

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:14 AM   #9
4thIDvet
slug

That is nice Rick looks in great shape.
I had one and sold it but probably should have kept it I liked the gun. Rick a quick look at the prices they appear to range anywhere from $400 to a bit over a $1,000.
Sanders link will lead you to a lot of info on those weapons. Good reports on them and bad reports but the one I had shot just fine. For some reason they never took off to much in value due to the Colt name I guess and it does not say "Hartford Conn."
Colt people are fussy about that Hartford connection. Hell if I have a gun and it shoots good I don't care who made it or where its from. Good find.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #10
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

That is a beauty. I had a genuine WW1 1911 many years ago. I wish I had never quit it.
9teen11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen11 View Post
That is a beauty. I had a genuine WW1 1911 many years ago. I wish I had never quit it.
Geez my buddy just sold a WWII dated Colt .45 for $700. Kind of looked like it hit the beach in Normandy and stayed used through the war but it was decent and the guy did not hesitate with the money.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #12
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey

Sanders, what you bolded is exactly what this is - one of the 1,000 from s/n 20001 - 21000 shipped to Argentina by way of the L A C. The three digit property no. under the crest at the rear of the slide is comprised of the last three digits of the serial no.

Tim - look again, the Hartford address is on the slide.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:27 AM   #13
4thIDvet
slug

Uh huh now I see it.
Yup that I would guess moves it up the pecking order in price? The one I had was all just Argentinian markings. Probably the last thing the Huns saw was the flash of that big bore just before they went to see Jesus.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey

WTF were you doing up at 04:27 this morning, Tim?

Oh yeah, you're an hour ahead.

So, WTF were you doing up at 05:27 this morning?

inquiring minds need to know.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:52 AM   #15
whitelightning777

Are those still out there? How much did you pay for it if I can ask?
whitelightning777 is offline   Reply With Quote