Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 06-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #16
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

Nice, I might have to try a couple of those.

WWHBD?
(What Would Henry Bowman Do?)
Bulletboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #17
AKaTom

bige64, Your more than welcome to use my press and jig to bend them
I'm still not doing well in the health dept. but you are more than welcome to use my tools.
AKaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #18
bige64
Burnin Hippies...
Mosquito Kill Champion, Mahjong Champion, Tetris Champion, Karts Champion

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKaTom
bige64, Your more than welcome to use my press and jig to bend them
I'm still not doing well in the health dept. but you are more than welcome to use my tools.

someday I might venture out there to see how you're doin and share some of my new toys with you....
bige64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #19
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephus
You got that right ,what I usually do is Mic the rails and check the lengh of the center support .
My problem is the ones that are to short ,I have found that ya can get Brake line and cut it to fit ,I like to slightly oval the tube to hold it tight to the pin !!
Not that you or I would know anything about gun building !!!
Cephus I've used brake line on a couple builds ... ground a flat on one side for bolt clearance and fit it to the receiver as you mentioned. When the center support was in and riveted I put one good spot weld on the center support attaching it to the rivet to prevent it from turning.

Seemed to work alright.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #20
gunnysmith
Fear what you cannot see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephus
You got that right ,what I usually do is Mic the rails and check the lengh of the center support .
My problem is the ones that are to short ,I have found that ya can get Brake line and cut it to fit ,I like to slightly oval the tube to hold it tight to the pin !!
Not that you or I would know anything about gun building !!!
Cephus I have run in to that problem too.I bought some 4mm washers from ace hardware and use a 6-32 bolt for fitting the center support. measure the out side of the receiver at the top rail, tighten down the bolt and remeasure.
that difference is what is needed to make the support longer.
disassemble measure the support length, and measure the support with the washer added. then just remove the extra from the support not the washer. and Walla!!!!! the right length center support.

H. L. Mencken
gunnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #21
AKaTom

Ok did a AMD-65 pistol build on one of these new flats yesterday. Only ran into one major problem, the left side lower rail "ejector rail" was WAY to low using the pre-drilled hole in the rail for alignment. I'd never run into that problem before with the old style flats so it had me stumped for awhile on what to do. So I decided to cut off the lower part of the rail with the predrilled hole and use the trunnion for proper spacing and spot welded the rail that way. It was harder to hold the rail in place until the weld but it worked out fine. I didn't run into this problem with the right side rail.

I used a DPHarms flat bending jig and all the predrilled trunnion holes in the flat matched up 100% perfectly with the AMD trunnion, zero egging out of holes required! The top cover fit almost to good, had to use a rubber mallet to help pop it on. The receiver top rails still required some trimming but alot less than the flats without prebent top rails.

I give the product a thumbs up and the pistol functioned flawlessly when test fired
AKaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #22
gunnysmith
Fear what you cannot see

Can you post a picture of the area around the ejector rail you are describing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKaTom
Ok did a AMD-65 pistol build on one of these new flats yesterday. Only ran into one major problem, the left side lower rail "ejector rail" was WAY to low using the pre-drilled hole in the rail for alignment. I'd never run into that problem before with the old style flats so it had me stumped for awhile on what to do. So I decided to cut off the lower part of the rail with the predrilled hole and use the trunnion for proper spacing and spot welded the rail that way. It was harder to hold the rail in place until the weld but it worked out fine. I didn't run into this problem with the right side rail.

I used a DPHarms flat bending jig and all the predrilled trunnion holes in the flat matched up 100% perfectly with the AMD trunnion, zero egging out of holes required! The top cover fit almost to good, had to use a rubber mallet to help pop it on. The receiver top rails still required some trimming but alot less than the flats without prebent top rails.

I give the product a thumbs up and the pistol functioned flawlessly when test fired
gunnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #23
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

Tom I've found that to be almost the only flaw on those flats. What I do is space them with a drill bit and spot weld them in. Then I drill through the center support hole.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #24
Wolverine

It has been a long time since I started this thread and I have read of a new problem. I hear since the top rails are prebent that when you bend them up they are still up too high and people were having problems with them. So if I ever try them out I think I will just take a long piece of steel and put over them and hammer them down into the jig to make sure they are correct. Have you guys had that experience yet? Is there any pictures floating around out there of a completed build on one of these newer flats?
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #25
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

I've built 3 or 4 on them now. Love em!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #26
Wolverine

Thats great Bulletboy, so no problems with what I mentioned about the upper rails being too high? Also I think I may have mentioned this before but where there is a big gap where you stick the bolt down into the receiver, is there any problems with the carrier popping off or anything?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #27
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

Havent had any issues with the uppers being too high. Actually they mate up with the trunion and the holes are almost dead on, so it doesn't seem like they are out of spec. One of the great things is that those top rails are already the correct width, so no trimming is necessary. I had wondered about that bolt carrier drop in slot at first too. Thought I might need to stick a recoil buffer in there to keep it from popping out, but nope, stays in just fine. The ones I've built on these flats have fired flawlessly right from the start. I think the latest one I did was the one I put that synthetic dragunov style stock on. Here it is;

Old 08-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #28
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
The only thing I think you might need to worry about is, how much of a slot did they cut out and if the bolt carrier will fit in good without flying out of place??
My personal feeling on this concern is .. it's impossible for the bolt carrier to come out of an AK-47 with the bolt spring properly in place while firing the rifle.

IMHO until I see proof otherwise.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #29
Wolverine

That makes sense to me. I guess I meant for the top cover to pop off from it in the post you quoted above, I wasn't thinking clearly. Ya know that Kaboomed AK that we are seeing pictures of. There is a guy on another forum saying that the front locking lugs on the trunnions of other AK's need to be inspected on all AK's so this don't happen. Supposedly if there is any wear on them, if they are curved or anything there is problems? I am still trying to learn more on this myself.