Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 06-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
American Rage

Default Quick Answer Needed: Remington Rand .45

So, I stopped off at my local gun shop. They had a blued Remington Rand 45 for $600. The bluing was worn off most of the slide, but the gun itself had no rust on it and seemed as smooth as silk.

Should I buy it?

Personally, I swore off 1911A1's a few years back, but I can't help but wonder if maybe I should purchase this one for future sale or trade.

What say you?
American Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
RTO

I have a RR that is in good shape, I feel that it is worth $600 or more. The #'s are matching except for the barrel.

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Sanders

For $600? Hell yeah!

But check to see if the frame and slide match. There are plenty of mixmasters out there.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Too bad it's not a 'Singer!'
Definately worth the price, IF the numbers match.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
American Rage

I've got a conference to attend tomorrow. I'll stop off at the pawn shop after that, and if they still have it I'll check the numbers and the inspector's mark.

I now believe the finish is Du-lite, not parkerized.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
dcjake

rem rands should have been parkerized seeing as they were made late in the war, good shape ones have been running around $1000 in central pa... might want to do a little research to see if parts have been swapped out during rebuild/repair at a post war arsenal(should be a mark in the area of the trigger guard)
dcjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
RTO

The RR that I have was manufactured in 1943 and it has what appears to be the original blued finish.
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
American Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTO View Post
The RR that I have was manufactured in 1943 and it has what appears to be the original blued finish.
I learned yesterday that it's called "Du-lite"

I believe it's more black than blue.

I've decided against it for now, as I have other things to spend my money on.

And since a member of gunsnet expressed interest if I didn't want to buy it. I sent him the info on it a few hours ago.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
American Rage

The member of gunsnet had notified me that he too is a little short of cash.

So here's another discription written for a member of another board. I'll let you decide based on the following discription:

I've decided not to buy the Remington Rand. Not b/c I don't think it's worth it, but because I need to buy new glasses, a garage door operner, and a new battery for my motorcycle first. Also, I set aside $400 for a new Sub 2000 as soon as it comes in.

Anyway, I went back for a closer look today. And although I was unable to strip it down, I can tell you what I saw.

The gun's serial range was in the 2,2XX,XXX range and configures with the last production run of Remington Rand
.45s.

On the left side of the slide it is marked Remington above Syracuse, N.Y. It does not say "Rand." I figure this could be due to one of the following reasons, (1) light tooling strike, (2) refinishing, (3) 65+ years of wear, (4) combination of the above. However, I'm happy to report that the slide actually has about 55% of the finish left. Also, though I personally had a hard time seeing them, the store personnel pointed out a few super small pits in the slide that could easily be covered if the gun were refinished.

On the left side of the frame, below the slide stop were the initials "FJA" which I'm told all Remington Rand's have as these are the initials of the inspector for RR at that time. Unfortunately, there is an "idiot mark" through the initials. Near the magazine release button was the letter "P" stamped into the frame. On the right side of the frame, it says "United States Property M 1911 US Army," or something to that effect. I was wrong about the mainspring housing being checkered, it's serrated instead. However, the slide release, trigger, and hammer are all checkered. I'd rate the frame's bluing at 80%, maybe a little less.

The barrel had nice lands and grooves, but to my mind showed no signs of rust or pitting. It did, however, have a dark substance that seemed lie in the grooves, giving a 'shadow' effect (for lack of a better term) to the lands. The gentlemen at the shop seemed to believe that this was due to firing corrosive military ammo. Still, I saw no pits or rust in the barrel itself. I point this out b/c you or someone else might consider the markings from the corrosive ammo to be rust. Which is fine.

Finally, it had some Pachamyer (sp?) grips on it. The gun itself felt tight, and when racking the slide the action seemed silky smooth.

That's about all I can tell you. I hope I've described it accurately for you. Regardless, if you're interested, here is the contact information that I promised.

The gun can be found at:

Kings Pawn and Gun
4255 E. Reno
Del City, Oklahoma

Phone: 405-670-3366
Fax: 405-670-3933

The shop itself is about 2 miles north and 1 mile west of Tinker Air Force Base (fact is two airmen were looking at guns as I was checking out the Remington Rand). I told them they might receive a call from out of state, and they were fine with that.

Good luck. And let me know what happens.

Remington Rand Info link:
http://www.model1911a1.com/Remington.htm