Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
p-38

Default Ruskey capture p-38 thoughts

K guys got a new p-38 for the collection today. A byf 42 p-38. all matching numbers and locking block is correct. Bad news is that it is a import from R Guns as stamped, it also has the x capture mark. The only reason I bought it is because it has original finish as most ruskey cap gun have been refinished. The frame is also a off grey brown/copper, is this the illusive two tone type deal all the big collectors are looking for? All my other mausers do not have this off color frame, nor do they have the brown bake lite grips like this earlier p dose. And yes Im sure its original finish as I have seen many russian captures that have been refinished, and its very easy to tell it's been done as the whole pistol is a very dull blueing or maybe its park. IDK. It's just easy to pick out as it's a very bad job of refinishing. Well og finish or not, it's still a capture peace. I paid 500$ for my curiosity of this gun, which I guess it's ok as I see em go for 600$ in some places. Yeah way high for a shooter I know, but pple seem to be flocking to the 38's now as the 08's have been so far fetched in their price because of their new fallowing. Even the p1 thats known to crack a frame or two is selling for 400$ plus, wow, really people. So if I'm right you can bye a p1 for almost 2/3 the cost of a real deal 38, why would you? Guess you would really want one, dose the aluminum really make the gun that much lighter. I currently have 4 38's in my collection, they ran from 450$ for my byf 43 back in 2001 to 1300$ for a minty byf44 police eagle 38, which I think was way to much for it. But as the market for these pistols is going, I think I could get it back in a few years easily. What ya all think of the capture guns? collectable?collectable I could see as these guns weredeff used in ww2 as they were captured guns, not to mention the story they have if they could talk. I think that capture guns are interesting in many ways. On the other side, most are refinished, some are renumbered with orig nubers crossed out and new ones stamped in. Then there is the import marks and the big X on the frame showing it was captured. What ya all think keep it for the collectible or rid myself of it and use the cash for the ww1 mauser hse I have been droolin over for the last week. I'm figuring someone haz more insite them me on the capture issue. Thanks to all my brothers in key board that give me a big hand in this ever expanding hobby of mine. Fyne Tune your good friend. Thanks
p-38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Rew

I owned one of the P1's, fine gun. Got it (IIRC) for about $200 in a pawn shop. Sold it for $300 even after explaining it was NOT a P38, but a $100 profit for a pistol I found very uncomfortable to conceal, why not? I liked it but I don't really collect gun's per say. I see one, I like it, I got the money, I buy it. Those days are few and far between anymore. As far as the capture guns, I think I'd find that more interesting than a non capture gun.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Enforcer

Please post pics if you can!
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
p-38

Sure will for ya once I figure out how to do it. I only have a droid phone to take digital pics with. Ill figure it out, any help would be great to though. Yeah a pic of the gun and markings could save someone alot of cash. As I have seen some being sold as non ruskey capture peaces. There is a easy was to tell though, on the frame there will be a X stamped into the frame just behind the take down latch. I think though with the p1 selling for as much as it is the ruskey guns will now get their justified value.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
Railbuggy

When I was a kid,the P-38 and the Luger were my favorite handguns.
I bought a Browning model 1922 w/german eagles in 32cal, but lost it in a breakin.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
p-38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbuggy View Post
When I was a kid,the P-38 and the Luger were my favorite handguns.
I bought a Browning model 1922 w/german eagles in 32cal, but lost it in a breakin.
That sux I got a mauser m1914 in .32 I love to shoot it, the old german guns have such complex mechanisms. They are simply like a rolex watch, brilliantly engineered.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
RetVet
Statistical Error

I built a half dozen of the post WWII P-38's and P-1's from parts kits on frames I picked up on a deal for about $6 each..... the frames that is. I'll probably trade off a few at some point for a real steal framed P-38 to add to all the other WWII kraut stuff I've accumulated over the years. I'm in it for the history. It's the main reason I acquire the older stuff.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
2rogers

a buddy of mune snatched up a russian captured luger a couple years ago. parkerized finish was nice although obviously not original. i dont see a problem with these collectables at all.
2rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
TheMrMitch

I kinda like German stuff too.

USMC 1959/1963

3%
The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home,
'Tis summer, the darkies are gay,
TheMrMitch is offline   Reply With Quote