Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Chaplains Corner
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Chaplains Corner A place to discuss religion, personal problems, or to request advise from someone who will listen and provide moral support.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
aviator
unum de multis

Default Question on religion

More specifically for our chaplain and real preacher, .

I'm about to have an argument with the guy who's teaching Catechism to my daughter and her friends at our local church. As you know Catholic churches enjoy controlling people's lives and want you to attend church every Sunday, which is pretty much every church of every denomination, the more people show up the better fiscally and I can understand that.

Now for my question.

When did Jesus say to meet at a temple?

There is a reference to like people meeting together made at Matthews in the Old Testament, merely made by the Israelites and as we all know it was also a financial decision. However, Jesus was against the practice and was therefore preaching the word of His Father on the go.

Am I correct in assuming He never had a temple? He never made people listen to his sermons, whoever followed him did so out of their own free will.

If that is indeed the recorded history, can I tell this jackass not to pick on my daughter again for not attending mass?....because I'm about to kick his ass.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Let me paraphrase a quote:

"Where two, or more, are gathered in my name, there I will be."

And that is sufficient for me.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Let me paraphrase a quote:

"Where two, or more, are gathered in my name, there I will be."

And that is sufficient for me.
That's how I feel.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Karl/PA
Resident Curmudgeon

Check here. Lots to choose from:

http://biblehub.com/mark/12-35.htm

Alcohol is a perfect solvent: It dissolves marriages, families and careers.
Karl/PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Well ... a couple of points;

First of all the Roman Catholic church does not stand on biblical authotrity alone, tradition is a big part of the doctrine. Protestants, to one degree or another consider the Bible to be the only authoritive source, with some of the older protestant sects incorporating some degree of tradition but leaning toward Biblical authority. Lutheran formal doctrine are surprisingly vclose to the Catholics.

A lot of years of Biblical and theological studies have left me with the view that Jesus left us the Holy Spirit to abide in our hearts and souls, to guide and comfort us. The Churches and Formal religions are man made constructs, and being man made cannot avoid error.

OTT ... what 10Bears said!

As always, JMHO, YMMV and that's okay too, God sees into our hearts and knows our thoughts, being a good and loving God I suspect he doesn't get overly exercised about our small faliures to perform to ritual and tradional mores.

I've also become very suspicious about the foks that stand up and say; " Now let ME tell you what he REALLY meant by that!"

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
HorseSoldier176
Retired Soldier

For what it is worth, I have long believed that God, being the natural God, and the God of nature, wants us, man, his children, to get closer to him, by looking for, and worshiping him in that which he has created. Be it nature, trees, and such, or space, stars, planets, etc, or his creatures, or ourselves, and our children, as well as other humans.

By the same token, we are taught to not tolerate those who violate both man's, and God's laws.

Bruce R. Gadbois
HorseSoldier176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
10 Bears

Where is our Chaplain?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier176 View Post
By the same token, we are taught to not tolerate those who violate both man's, and God's laws.
Agreed 100%, as long as we are mindful that God's law is immutable and trump man made laws, regulations and rules every time.

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
RetVet
Statistical Error

For those who believe, God is everywhere. No temple, group gathering, or human voice from a pulpit required. I talk, He listens. It's the hearing part I believe most of us have a problem with.

My $.02
Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
For those who believe, God is everywhere. No temple, group gathering, or human voice from a pulpit required. I talk, He listens. It's the hearing part I believe most of us have a problem with.

My $.02
I think I have my answer.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #11
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

I personally, have found out that I can believe and have faith without the church, BUT, by attending church every Sunday, I have learned that I was missing out on an awful lot of the Word. I choose to attend church every Sunday to worship Him and hear His Word. I don't believe you can get that all on your own. And besides, we've been having a lot of fun with the folks that attend our little country church.

But, that's me.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
aviator
unum de multis

OK but you choose to attend church...out of your own free will
Old 01-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
OK but you choose to attend church...out of your own free will
Absolutely. Also, that's what works for us. We choose to be fairly active in the church related activities, too. Then again, we're not Catholic, either.

Brian
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #14
Sanders

Church is for fellowship.

But you'll either get into Heaven or not by what is or is not in your heart.

I've asked the same question, too - when did Jesus command his disciples to build a fancy church?

Interesting side note: The church I used to attend before they went full blown money-grubbers, now has a "for sale" sign out front.

When it was a little metal building, the place was packed and the Word of God was preached. When I started going there, I was told the donation boxes were in the back, and there was no pressure to give. They told me that God would provide for the church's needs and they did not believe in incurring debt to expand.

Then, one day, they broke ground on what would become a huge auditorium. Then the preacher started begging for money and trying to guilt-trip the congregation to "reach deeper" "for the Lord". That's when I quit going to that church. The elders had quietly disappeared before that - men I had a lot of respect for.

There is actually a name I've heard for what many of us here are -- the "unchurched" movement. The unchurched have not lost faith in God, but they have become disillusioned with the church.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 AM   #15
10 Bears

Well said, Sanders, and I have seen the same circumstances, that have lost
their congregations.