Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

Default Rifle bedding job this morning.

Yep.
Finally got around to bedding my beloved 30-06. Broke it down, got my JB weld all ready, prepped everything nicely.

Mix up some JB, slather on a generous dollop and reassemble the rifle.
I take the leftover JB Weld goop and scrape it off on a paper towel, go in the house, grab a cup of coffee and watch a little news.

Hour and a half later I go outside to the shop to check progress and I stick my finger in the leftover JB weld on the paper towel.

The shit's still soft and gooey. Kinda like sticking my finger in peanut butter.

2 hours later - It's STILL not setting up.

By the way, these were 2 unopened tubes of JB that I bought about 4 years ago.
I've never known the stuff to have a usable shelf life but the stuff would not set up.

So...
Take it all apart, scrape everything down, clean it up with acetone and try again THIS TIME with Permatex 2-part epoxy.

Mix it up, slather it in, reassemble the rifle and the shit's starting to set up while I'm putting it back together.

20 minutes later and the stuff is hard. Real hard. I wished I could get my Johnson that hard, that fast.

Any of y'all ever have a problem with JB Weld not co-operating and just staying sticky?

As I'm typing this, it's been 5.5 hours and the JB is still not set up. Just as gooey as when I first mixed it.

I'm ready for a drink. And I don't drink but I am willing to re-learn.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Well, just for the fun of it I dug out my old tubes of JB Weld Steel that I know are at least three years old and mixed up about a tablespoon of it. It says on the tubes that it sets in four to six hours and should cure over night.
We should know in a few hours.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

Remember, the tubes I pulled from my epoxy box were unopened. I know they have to be at least 4 years old. The partial tubes I pulled out had the caps stuck on. I tried to unscrew them with pliers and destroyed the tube.

That's when I figured why not crack open a new package?

Update: The JB that won't set is now over 6 hrs and is firm but still sticky when I touch it. The Permatex epoxy is hard enough to file and that particular epoxy recommends overnight curing.

Maybe I just got a bad batch.
From 4 years ago.
I used to buy all that stuff from the Ace hardware store that was 5 minutes from where I used to live. Up here in the woods there's no Ace to be found. Just the local hardware store. Every time I go in there it reminds me of an episode of "Green Acres."
Shooter 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

Just came in from my shop and the JB Weld that was sticky & gooey yesterday is now like a slab of rubber.
It's firmed up but not hard.
Just a silver dollar sized lump of rubbery grey stuff.

I reckon it's either expired or I maybe got a bad batch I didn't know about until now.

Regardless, I sent JB Weld and email and mentioned my situation. I'll let y'all know what happens, if anything.

WHo know? They might just tell me tough shit.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #5
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

You got a bad batch. The three year old stuff I mixed yesterday worked just like it was supposed to. After five hours it was set but still a little flexible and this morning it was rock hard.
Eightball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

Yup, that's the only thing I can come up with, too.

The Permatex I used was bought around the same time and it's hard enough to drill or sand.

I kept the tubes and sent a message to JB Weld.

It's not like a real expensive loss but my curiosity has been aroused. Been using the stuff for many years with no trouble.

I even fixed a hole busted thru an aluminum engine case some years back. As long as the work is prepped, the stuff will hold.
As long as it hardens.

Maybe I can make some rubber bands out of the old stuff I have . That's what it feels like. Soft & rubbery.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
Sanders

Could have been worse.

You could have mixed up a 2 part epoxy floor paint for your garage, like my father in law did a couple months ago, and not had it set up. Now that was a bitch to clean up.

Rather than risk that mess again, he bought the rubber garage tiles, instead.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote