Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 07-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
aviator
unum de multis

There is a house on a lake not far from here that turned a jet ski into a flower pot and it sits right in the center of their front yard.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Peeweester40
Who Dat?

Quote:
You all know the happiest two days in the life of a boat owner, right? The day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat.
I have a 19' Sea Pro bay style boat, and it sure was a happy day when I got it....I don't plan on selling it, but I just got done replacing the steering helm, bilge pump, GPS mount, and replaced/re-packed both wheel bearings on the trailer. From 9 in the morning till 9 that night working on it. Certainly wasn't one of my favorite experiences. Good luck with your project Pogo. Get those kids out on the water!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I don't mind a good canoe.
But really don't like the bigger "Holes in the Water" styles.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I've got a 17 foot aluminum canoe. It's a good one. Ive had it all over Canada and Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

I've also got a couple of kayaks including one that I made myself. I don't like using the one I made too often, I'm afraid I'll damage it or scrape up the bottom on rocks or something.

I want to fix the boat up so I can take my grandsons out fishing in it.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
I don't mind a good canoe.
But really don't like the bigger "Holes in the Water" styles.
Me too, I'll extend that to John boats but that's about as 'maritime' as I'm interested in anymore. One minor Pacific storm on a Catamaran made a believer (coward) out of me.

Boats, to me are for going someplace in or fishing from, john boats let you go where the fish are and canoes are great for going somewheres.

No longer have it but my 18' Grumman shoe keel was the greatest canoe I ever owned (stay off the big lakes unless you REALLY know what you're doing, most people don't) and I had a 16 foot Old Town (real old, wood and canvas from the early thirties) that was a classic, but heavy on the portages. Sold it to an idiot co-worker who got tired of fooling with the canvass and fiberglassed her 'Bout what you'd expect from a former PT Boat swabby.

Any old John boat will do, great american invention, motor 'em, pole 'em or row 'em, a boat for all seasons! Stable enough to shoot from too!

... ummm, avoid high waves , 'high' being anything around 2 foot or more.

You do excellent work Pogo and I'm sure she'll be a class act when you finish ... but I do not envy you the task you have set yourself.

Not at all!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
GARANDNUT
Pontificator Maximus

I wonder if it would be a good idea to replace the wood with aluminum and rhino line the whole inside of the boat.
GARANDNUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
maybe you should spray some Zinc Chromate to prevent rust on the areas you scrapped.....never mind, it's not an airplane.
It's not going to rust. It's aluminum. That is where I'm going to have that truck bed liner sprayed anyway. That brown stuff is glue. It is almost impossible to remove. I could remove it with acetone but I think the rhino coat will cover it up fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARANDNUT View Post
I wonder if it would be a good idea to replace the wood with aluminum and rhino line the whole inside of the boat.

I did think about using aluminum instead of wood. But I went ahead and already bought the marine plywood. I think if I prepare it right, it should last me as long as I need it. I think if I have a custom made cover for it, it should last for a real long time.

After taking it apart, and seeing how it is constructed, it is going to be a piece of cake putting it back together.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

Looks like a fun project. The only boats I have ever really dealt with though have been 25-40' sail boats and the 40-50' yachts in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

A boat with a pool. How cool is that???

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
Exitwound
Red Blooded American

I miss my boat.

I used to go fishing several times a week in the intercoastal waterways at night. Find a good area with lots of lit private docks... My arms would get tired pulling snook, redfish and gator trout out of the water.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
10 Bears

Gator Trout??
Ummm....
Is that somethin' ya eat or just kill and throw back?
Old 07-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Exitwound
Red Blooded American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Gator Trout??
Ummm....
Is that somethin' ya eat or just kill and throw back?

THATS a Gator Trout! They have some pretty nice teeth, I guess thats where they probably get their name from. Really good eating. Nice texture and good taste. Used to bread em and fry em!
Exitwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Here is the gator trout I caught.

Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Here is the gator trout I caught.

Damn ... that thing has hands
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #15
10 Bears

Shit, tell me what kind of bait to NOT USE for that last one!