Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.



Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Ulm, MN area
Posts: 6,191
Default Recipe for "Cowboy Beans" (from a friend of mine)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 package of bacon
1 medium sized onion
2 31 oz. cans baked beans
1 16 oz. can kidney beans
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbps liquid smoke
3 tbsp white vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 16 oz. can butter beans
1 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
1 ring of kielbasa.

Prep:
Cook and drain ground beef
Cook, drain and chop up the bacon
Chop onion
Cut Kielbasa into slices

Add all ingredients together in the crock pot and stir until well mixed and cook on Low for 3-4 hours.
*********************************
I made some changes and substitutions........
After looking at the two 31 oz cans of pork & beans, I changed my mind and substituted them with three 28 oz cans of Bush's 'Original' Baked Beans. I don't like Van Camps Pork & Beans.

I'm also gonna cook and add 1 lb of Chorizo.

As for the bacon, I have a package of Raspberry-Chipotle marinated bacon that I'll cook up and use in place of 'regular' bacon.

I may cut the 1 cup of ketchup in half and add a 1/2 cup of Open Pit BBQ Sauce. I haven't decided on that yet.

This is the first time I've made this so, I'll post a review sometime Saturday evening.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
baboon
slug
 
baboon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 15,653
Default

In TEXAS pintos are beans to most white folk. And they tend to start out as dry beans not canned. Ranch Style Beans might be the exception for canned.

While that recipe might taste good it seems way over complicated with ingredients.

Burnt Brisket ends are a nice addition to beans.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=brisket+bu...=h_&ia=recipes
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
JD Miller
slug
 
JD Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 29,227
Spinz

If I was a old time cowboy id be still looking for the "liquid smoke" (do the Indians have that?),

"1 ring of kielbasa" (?... is that same as jimsonweed or locoweed). Can you use whiskey rather than vinegar?

__________________
JD Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
baboon
slug
 
baboon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 15,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Miller View Post
If I was a old time cowboy id be still looking for the "liquid smoke" (do the Indians have that?), "1 ring of kielbasa" (?... is that same as jimsonweed or locoweed).
Right next to the raspberry chipotle bacon!
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
JD Miller
slug
 
JD Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 29,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Right next to the raspberry chipotle bacon!
Who What ! ..................


.
JD Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
RetVet
Statistical Error
 
RetVet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Homeless
Posts: 39,723
Default

My beans receipe changes every time I make a pot of them. Never been one to follow a recipe unless it came to making bread or something baked.
__________________
Wars happen when the state tells you who the enemy is.
Revolutions happen when the public figures it out themselves.
III
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
baboon
slug
 
baboon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 15,653
Default

Beans, water, salt, pepper, onion, jalapeņos, celery, ham bone, garlic, good smoked sausage if it's on sale.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
RetVet
Statistical Error
 
RetVet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Homeless
Posts: 39,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Beans, water, salt, pepper, onion, jalapeņos, celery, ham bone, garlic, good smoked sausage if it's on sale.
Celery? Never tried adding that.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
baboon
slug
 
baboon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 15,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
Celery? Never tried adding that.
I sweat the celery, onion, jalapeņos, garlic & (bell pepper when making red beans & rice)first. Then every thing else goes in, bring it to a boil the low simmer. I never soak my beans. After 3-4 hours you would even know the vegetables are in there as they cook away & thicken the beans. If I have a few stray carrots they will go into.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #10
RetVet
Statistical Error
 
RetVet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Homeless
Posts: 39,723
Default

Sometimes I soak the beans and sometimes not. Someone told me once that if you soak the beans, then drain the water and add fresh before cooking them it reduces the "gas" effect beans have on people. Don't know if true or not as it doesn't seem to matter to my body that is a gas producing mega-machine.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #11
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable
 
MrKalashnikov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TrumpWorld
Posts: 4,509
Talking

Will this recipe result in a replay of the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles?
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #12
baboon
slug
 
baboon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 15,653
Default

I keep Gas X & Phazyme for fart foods.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #13
44044
slug
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: swampeastmissouri
Posts: 43,155
Default

Gas makes your bowels work better...

Pushes the shit on thru...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #14
Czubek
Moderator
Cat Bowling Champion
 
Czubek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stover, Missouri
Posts: 32,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 package of bacon
1 medium sized onion
2 31 oz. cans baked beans
1 16 oz. can kidney beans
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbps liquid smoke
3 tbsp white vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 16 oz. can butter beans
1 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
1 ring of kielbasa.

Prep:
Cook and drain ground beef
Cook, drain and chop up the bacon
Chop onion
Cut Kielbasa into slices

Add all ingredients together in the crock pot and stir until well mixed and cook on Low for 3-4 hours.
*********************************
I made some changes and substitutions........
After looking at the two 31 oz cans of pork & beans, I changed my mind and substituted them with three 28 oz cans of Bush's 'Original' Baked Beans. I don't like Van Camps Pork & Beans.

I'm also gonna cook and add 1 lb of Chorizo.

As for the bacon, I have a package of Raspberry-Chipotle marinated bacon that I'll cook up and use in place of 'regular' bacon.

I may cut the 1 cup of ketchup in half and add a 1/2 cup of Open Pit BBQ Sauce. I haven't decided on that yet.

This is the first time I've made this so, I'll post a review sometime Saturday evening.
That looks like it'd be really good. Especially with the choizo.

Brian
__________________
3

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:44 AM   #15
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Ulm, MN area
Posts: 6,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
That looks like it'd be really good. Especially with the choizo.
They were a hit. Next time, I'll make sure there's room in the smoker for a batch.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.