Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Gardening, Animal Husbandry, and Yard Care
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #16
Konstantin

Thanks, I appreciate it. The only thing left is me, the dog and the chickens that wouldn't be caught.

Been watching the slurry bombers for the last couple hours. It looks like they are getting it knocked back. Saw the DC10 do a couple drops. That's a big damn plane. Those pilots must have nerves of steel.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #17
Sanders

They cut power to all the houses in the evacuation zone. So much for anyone having working wells to hose anything down, if they chose to stay behind.

I understand the need, as they say powerline poles were burning and dropping hot wires on the ground, but it still sucks to take away people's water.

Hope you have a good generator, Konstantin.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #18
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Around here they use the "Heavy Lift" choppers, faster turn around.
An extended relative flies the big Sikorsky and another model.
He's on call throughout the fire season along with other heavy lift jobs.

When it comes to evil, to tolerate is to accommodate, to accommodate is to appease, and to appease is to concede defeat.

"Men find all kinds of ways to believe ANY absurdity!"

10 Bears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
Sanders

One of the guys who works for me is the assistant fire chief at the VFD on the other side of the mountain from the fire. He said he watched a Chinook load up with water, yesterday. He'd never been close to a Chinook and was impressed by the size.

I've seen those heavy lift helicopters in action on a wildfire in Northern California. They carry a pretty big bucket, that's for sure. They were filling it in the lake in front of where I was living at the time.

Fire is up to 16,000 acres and 24 structures burned. Wind is blowing pretty gusty this morning - so much so that I couldn't see the smoke from my house, as the wind was keeping it close to the ground, which I can imagine was moving the fire along at a pretty good clip toward the grasslands.

If you look at the map, the SW corner of the red is where the fire started. That is right inside the designated woodcutting area.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #20
Konstantin

Still burning, still watching.

Yes, Sanders I do have a good generator. I've got it hooked up to run the well, a jet pump from water storage, the well and a couple outlets for the fridge and freezer. I feel bad for the people that did evacuate, they were told it will be a minimum of 5 days before they could come back. I have too many back roads for them to stop me from coming and going.

Ten , there were quite a few helicopters dropping water too. My boy was amazed by the CH-47. All of those pilots are awesome. They must be half metal, nerves of steel and brass balls.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #21
Konstantin

Still trying to figure out how to post pictures from my phone. I got some good ones of the DC-10 dropping slurry.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #22
Sanders

I talked to the Forest Service this morning, and they told me the fire missed most of the woodcutting area. The lady I talked to said she expects it to open back up any day now.

Maybe I'll get some wood cut this summer, after all. I sure don't want to have to buy it.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #23
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Glad to hear you will finally get your winter heating material stocked back up.
10 Bears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #24
Konstantin

Hey Sanders. Do you have a Stihl saw? I have a brand new 20" Stihl rollermatic bar and an oil o matic chain to go with it. If you have a saw with a .325" pitch sprocket you are welcome to them.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #25
Sanders

I have a Stihl Farm Boss with a 20" bar. If you don't want that extra one, I'm sure I can find a home for it in my case.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #26
Konstantin

Cool. I'll PM you my phone number. Give me a call tomorrow sometime. Maybe we can meet somewhere.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #27
ColonelKorn
High Priest of Honkydom

I bought 2 log trucks of cull logs to saw up for firewood hoping to have enough wood to last me and my parents for 2 years. I got half of it sawed up and split before hot weather.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #28
Sanders

I've been watching the Forest Service website every day, and last week they posted that they were going to sell permits for another area at $20/cord for "benched" lumber.

That's where the Forest Service woodcutters cut down the trees, then stack them beside a road (more like a trail). All you have to do is pull up next to the stack and cut them to fit your transport. It can get a little interesting when you are standing on the pile and they decide to roll, but not too bad.

I sent my wife down to get the permits (limit 2 cords per person) as soon as I saw it. I also called one of my employees who I know cuts wood, and he sent his wife down. Then I called my neighbor and told him.

My wife said that when she got to the Forest Service office, about 6 people came in right behind her. The lady selling the permits figured they would be sold out by noon. My neighbor couldn't get down until the following morning when they opened, and he said there were only 6 cords worth of permits left available before he got his.

Me and the neighbor went out yesterday morning. I intended to get my full 2 cords and had my pickup and a trailer. Neighbor's truck crapped out on him, so I let him use my 1/2 ton Dodge to pull his little trailer.

We found the site and commenced to cutting. I got almost a full cord loaded onto the trailer when the sky opened up. I figured it was just a summer mountain storm and would pass in a few minutes. It didn't pass. I think it just started circling around. Then the hail started. In a slight lull, I strapped down what I had, and called it a day. Didn't like the idea of leaving with just 1/2 a load, but the weather wasn't getting any better and the rain and hail started coming down harder.

Pulling a loaded trailer up a muddy road in 4-Low got interesting without any weight in the truck bed. Next time, I'll load the pickup first, then the trailer.

It rained almost all the way home. There were some pretty good flash floods up around the burn area. The creek that runs through the town of Chilili was running bank to bank with charcoal colored water. It was hitting the bottom of the bridge when we crossed it. If it didn't let up, there may not still be a bridge there, this morning.

At least I got some wood. I still have to get another cord from that spot, and I hope they lift the fire restrictions for the other (closer to my house) cutting area, so I can start on that.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:51 AM   #29
Sanders

So, my plan was to go get some wood after work, today. No problem. I took off at 4 p.m. It took me a couple hours to drive out to the woodcutting area. On the way, I saw several mule deer - including a 4 point buck and one of the fattest roadrunners I've ever seen.

It was raining in Albuquerque, but looked like the storm was passing North of where I cut wood. After I got to the site, I noticed the sky was getting pretty dark and the wind was starting to blow. The same spot I cut previously wasn't too much more picked over, so I pulled right in, got out the Stihl, which I am naming "Honey Badger" because it doesn't give a shit - it chews up anything.

I got about a 1/4 cord loaded before the sky started spitting at me. Then, it started pouring down. So, I took a break to wait for it to pass. The way the wind was blowing, surely it would pass soon. It didn't stop completely, but I was able to get the rest of my 1/2 cord cut and loaded. I was pulling out at 7:30 and did not get to the house until just after 9:00 - and it rained on me all the way home.

The benched timber when I pulled up. Hey! Someone left me some cut pieces!

Loaded - I'm calling it 1/2 a cord. It may be a little light, though. I would have gotten more but I was running out daylight and the rain was starting to pick up again.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:55 AM   #30
Sanders

Clouds starting to boil over the mountain tops - the reason for my quick departure. The accompanying thunder and lightening helped punctuate my need for haste in leaving.