Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 10-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Chinese Hey hey heeeeey !!

Another awesome gun-show score.... I can't believe the luck I'm having !

Wait for it......

Waaaaaait for it.......

And now you must bask in the awesome glow of......

The VENERABLE: !!

RG, chambered in the excellent .22-short ! Notice the tactical, to-the-side front sight !

$10 bought it. I know most of you think I've lost my ever-loving mind. But go ahead and bash away. I'll tell you what my plans are with it later. Once you guys have unleashed your fury and insults on me. Once it's all over, you guys may be buying the $10 RG's ! I have a plan.... oh, yes !

Oh, yeah, I also bought this ragged-ass S&W Model 19. Pinned and recessed. Finish is a little sketchy, but for $150, I couldn't pass it up. Really needs to be reblued, which I may or may not get around to. I don't have a 4" .357, but it looks like Amber has pinched my venerable Model 19. I wonder why she didn't want the RG.... ???

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

The sight on the .22 was designed that way at the factory for safety concerns?

Jose, pardon my ignorance (or not), but what is pinned and recessed?

Brian
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Pinned and recessed is an engineering design on some S&W revolvers. If you look at the rear of the cylinder, the surface of the revolver will either be flush or have a machining "recess" in it to accommodate the rim of the cartridge. If there's a pin in the frame where the barrel screws in, it has a "pinned barrel" It's supposed to be something fancy if the revolver is "pinned and recessed".

Honestly, it doesn't make a damn to me, I'm not a S&W collector by any means. The front sight is that way because the barrel is twisting around in the pot-metal frame. Most of this HOOPTIE is pot-metal. I'll let you fellers bash on me about my RG before I tell ya what it was bought for.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Ok I see it now on the 19, thanks. And I figured thats what was happening with the .22, I was just being my old ignorant self.

By the way, I learned a long time ago to never bash another man's possessions, as that always comes back to you!

Brian
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
gunkgy

For 10 bucks, I would have bought the RG also. I like buying cheap so,so guns for display purposes. Great find on the S&W.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

I havent heard good things about those RGs, but if it functions, and $10...

WTF I would buy it too.

I learned a few years back....less than $50 is probably worth buying because someone will pay $100 for it usually.

As has been said before, "Ya done good!"
Old 10-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose`K-47
Pinned and recessed is an engineering design on some S&W revolvers. If you look at the rear of the cylinder, the surface of the revolver will either be flush or have a machining "recess" in it to accommodate the rim of the cartridge. If there's a pin in the frame where the barrel screws in, it has a "pinned barrel" It's supposed to be something fancy if the revolver is "pinned and recessed".

Honestly, it doesn't make a damn to me, I'm not a S&W collector by any means. The front sight is that way because the barrel is twisting around in the pot-metal frame. Most of this HOOPTIE is pot-metal. I'll let you fellers bash on me about my RG before I tell ya what it was bought for.
Moon ... The truth is the older S&W pistols were pinned and had the recess in the cylinder, you couldn't see brass from the side when the cylinder was closed. My old model 29 S&W is that way, I also understand their were more groves machined on top of the barrel on the older models. In all cases the changes were made by S&W to save production cost and that's why the pinned and recessed are more valued.
All this is IMO ... if wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected shortly.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
DorGunR

I like the model 19 ........but that .22 is one fugly gun.
DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Gewehrnut
Beer Snob

Nice job! A gun and a half for $160? And one of them a M19? Can't bitch about that!

"It is inexcusable that 4 million NRA members bear the weight for 80 million gun owners and 20 million hunters." - John C. Sigler

Working on a classic Trans Am gives you license to tell your wife, "Shut your pie hole, I'm going to work on the Bandit!"
Gewehrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
partssman
Redneck Moderator

Moon you got burnt...the RG sold for $7.95 new

Owned a few RG's in my time. All I can remember is snap-snap-pow ....

When will the Franken-smith be finished?

"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin', you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."
- Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch
partssman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #11
Moon
IncogNegro

Gus: You tell the same story I heard about the pinned/recessed S&W's. The older ones were done this way, but the newer ones did not have this feature to cut corners (and production costs).

I bought the RG just in case Houston ever decides to have one of those "Gun Buys" in which citizens bring in a firearm, turn it in, and receive $50. $40 profit... unless... a fellow were to look through the line and find something worth owning. Trade the shitty RG and $10 cash for their (insert quality firearm here). In essence, they were ready to throw their gun away... why not give 'em an extra $10 for their trouble ?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Well, had an RG for 10-12 years, took it away from a guy who wasn't supposed to have it, but that was the least of his problems, kept it for ... errr .... ummm ... sentiments sake.

Ended up in my tackle box for the last 6-7 years I had it, then one of my kids kicked over my tackle box and it went "KerPlunk"!

I remember looking over the side and thinking "Dammit, clumsy kid cost me 2 nice old lures ... and a pistol."

Used it a couple times on snakes and a turtle or two and it always worked.

The M-19 is a great find I'd grab one instantly at that price, regardless of problems UNLESS there was excessive flame cutting of the top strap, That's how I wrecked both of mine, WAAAY to many hot 125 grain loads.

Those older Smiths ARE what they'd like you to think the current ones are.

And your plan for the RG ...

You did good sir!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I've got a model 65 S&W .357 that has the pinned barrel. It is my favorite carry gun. I wouldn't trade it for anything. That S&W Model 19 is a dandy find. If you want it reblued, I would send it in to S&W and have them do a factory job. That gun would be worth it.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #14
fuzzy
remember what?
Eskiv Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Shape Game Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion

dang moon you could fall into a septic tank and come up smelling like a rose. congrats on the s&w great deal.
fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #15
Cobalt60
Another Old Phart

I just hate people that brag about scores like those. LOL! Well, not so much hate as GREEN WITH JEALOUSY. Don't see anything wrong with the 19 and at that price I'd have snatched it up myself. Hell, it's getting hard to find old, beat up Model 10's for that amount. And as far as the RG ::shrugs:: if it puts lead out the correct end, well, you never know when you might need a "disposable". ::winkwinknudgenudge::
[FONT=Times New Roman] “I apprehend no danger to our country from a foreign foe... Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.”
— Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

------------------------------
Always looking for Savage 6b and similar .22's, and related parts.[/FONT]
Cobalt60 is offline   Reply With Quote