Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Shotguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2017, 03:24 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Question When in Polar bear country I guess the .12 gauge shotgun is the gun of choice?

The Largest Land Carnivores in the World: The Polar Bear and Kodiak Bear.

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/04/15-...-in-the-world/

O.K. so I am watching the Netflix series "Polar Bear Town" a show about them in Alaska. Police, game wardens, locals, scientists, tour guides almost all to a man was carrying a .12 gauge shotgun for protection?
So I guess if one is attacking you you shoot them in the face? What would you carry if in their A.O.?

ADD: Everyone in the small town leaves their cars and trucks unlocked. This so people can jump in if getting chased by a polar bear. Holy sheet.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
aviator
unum de multis

a 20mm? those guys are vicious when hungry.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
slug

I would want someone to be with me

that I could outrun...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Sanders

In some of the mountain towns around here, I've seen the cops use 12 gauge bean bags to chase bears out of town without killing them. The black bears run like hell when hit with one of those.

Polar bears? I don't know. They are some big ass bears! Maybe they are scared of the noise?

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Bluntforce
slug

The Danish Slaedepatruljen Sirius on Greenland uses M 1917 Rifles in .30-06 and Glock 20 10mm for polar bears.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Dog_Sled_Patrol
Old 12-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
....... O.K. so I am watching the Netflix series "Polar Bear Town" a show about them in Alaska. Police, game wardens, locals, scientists, tour guides almost all to a man was carrying a .12 gauge shotgun for protection?
So I guess if one is attacking you you shoot them in the face? What would you carry if in their A.O.?
Well, ....... I know Peter Hathaway Capstick (A man who would have known!) only used a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with double 00 buckshot in order to track wounded 500 lb lions through heavy brush in order to finish them off. Capstick said that these engagements always happened very fast, and took place at very close range. (15 feet, and often less!)

Capstick wrote that the only gun he trusted to hit hard enough to stop an enraged cat under those incredibly difficult circumstances was the 12 gauge; HOWEVER, there is a proviso: The animal has to be fired upon at very close range (often less than 6 - 12 feet) with the still tightly compacted FULL 12 gauge charge of double 00 buckshot. Anything less would NOT guarantee an 'on the spot' stop and kill.

Peter (Who I, coincidentally, knew and used to see around town just about every weekend when I was a young teenager.) never allowed a client who made a bad shot on a lion to attempt to follow the animal into the brush in order to finish it off; he always told the client to stay put and wait while he took out his 12 gauge, and very slowly moved through the brush waiting for the wounded cat to launch what he hoped would be its final surprise attack.

I've also watched several national park rangers trap and release large bears. They, also, carried 12 gauge shotguns that I was told would, if necessary, have been used in exactly the same way that Peter Capstick did. All this being said I honestly believe that most people seen carrying 12 gauge shotguns in bear territory are being expedient.

In my opinion very few people have the 'nerves of steel' and 'coldness of mind' needed in order to face down a charging bear and effectively put it down at the kind of very short range needed in order to make the shot charge hit with a full (practically instantaneous) effect. Personally, I think the smallest long arm I would want to attempt stopping a large incoming bear with would be a (heavy) 45-70 Gov't, or Marlin 450 carbine.
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #7
Sanders

I do know that when I was planning a (now delayed indefinitely) trip up the Alaska highway, I was going to take a 12 gauge shotgun because it was easier to get one into Canada than a .44 Magnum pistol. But since the show takes place in Alaska, and not Canada, that may not be a factor.

A 12 gauge with buckshot is formidable, and so is a 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs - a .70 caliber projectile capable of deep penetration.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
RaySendero

I prefer a 458WM:

Old 12-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #9
Driswalds
Starcastle Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
The Danish Slaedepatruljen Sirius on Greenland uses M 1917 Rifles in .30-06 and Glock 20 10mm for polar bears.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Dog_Sled_Patrol
IMHO they are under armed for polar bear.
A 454 is a bit small. a 460 or 500 in handgun.
A 300 winchester mag is also a bit small.
Driswalds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #10
Bluntforce
slug

Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
Carne Frio

A 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs is pretty much normal
around here and you can even buy them at the grocery
stores. They work good on people, too.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #12
4thIDvet
slug

Kind of seems a good way to have your family shotgun turn into a howitzer is the slugs? Bird hunting in the morning tank stopper in the evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFxaJ0m6yI0

Holy sheet.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #13
Bluntforce
slug

I've used Brenneke slugs in a ballistic chainsaw application before. I was not disappointed.
Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #14
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
I've used Brenneke slugs in a ballistic chainsaw application before. I was not disappointed.
Yeah geez I never heard of them before Bluntforce but holy mother of God yah get hit or hit something with one of those they are gonna frigging remember yah.
Like a civil war Minnie ball times 1000 I guess? Damn.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #15
Mike Minihan

.375 Hollands and a companion similarly armed.
Mike Minihan is offline   Reply With Quote