Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #16
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I'm a smoked salmon fanatic.

Love smoked salmon. Smoked salmon chowder. Lox on bagels. You name it, if it has smoked salmon, I'm in for it.

I do believe there is a curing process before smoking fish, though. Could be what you were missing?
Me too, I love it., I'll eat salmon every which way.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #17
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Fattier fish take smoke much better. Tilapia tends to be processed fresh & frozen and has lttle or no fat on it. Hell I remember some smoked carp that was the only way I ever ate carp.
Oil makes smoke adhere to the meat better, that's why I sprayed it with cooking spray.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #18
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Salmon from the ice cold waters of Norway was 2nd to none like the best in the world. Demand outstripped supply and they started farming the fish in cages in the fiords. Whoops.
That was it for their salmon now article after article is saying do NOT eat it it is loaded with toxins.
Now Alaska salmon which was great to start with seems to rule the roost.
I made the mistake of watching an expose on farm raised salmon in Norway. Along with tilapia, there's no way I'll eat that stuff knowingly.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #19
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I love most fish. But I dont care for salmon, tuna, ot trout.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #20
Konstantin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I'm a smoked salmon fanatic.

Love smoked salmon. Smoked salmon chowder. Lox on bagels. You name it, if it has smoked salmon, I'm in for it.

I do believe there is a curing process before smoking fish, though. Could be what you were missing?
When I was working in Skagway one of the othe mechanics taught me to smoke salmon

To cure it the meat is soaked in salt water for 24 hours. To make your salt brine you add salt to room temperature water until there is a high enough specific gravity to float a potato.
After the fish has brined for 24 hours, rinse with cold water, pat dry with a paper towel and let it air dry for about an hour before smoking. Always smoke salmon with alder. Sockeye salmon is better when smoked a long time and allowed to dry out a little. King salmon is better when it isnt as dry.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #21
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin View Post
When I was working in Skagway one of the othe mechanics taught me to smoke salmon

To cure it the meat is soaked in salt water for 24 hours. To make your salt brine you add salt to room temperature water until there is a high enough specific gravity to float a potato.
After the fish has brined for 24 hours, rinse with cold water, pat dry with a paper towel and let it air dry for about an hour before smoking. Always smoke salmon with alder. Sockeye salmon is better when smoked a long time and allowed to dry out a little. King salmon is better when it isnt as dry.
Sockeye Salmon that is what I had and was trying to think of. Damn it is good.
Learn to brine now not you Konstantin but the people reading this. The salt process forces the meat fowl or fish to retain moisture and flavor.
Turkey dinner you cook your turkey and brine hell chicks will be hanging all over yah asking for your hand in marriage.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #22
baboon
slug

Y'all eat grilled oysters or is that a Texas thang. My favorite oyster bar does them on the grill in the shell & they are snacking!
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #23
aviator
unum de multis

Hey Sanders ETAL, this is the best salmon I had in Alaska and here is the recipe: http://connierush.blogspot.com/2009/...int-lodge.html

I could eat salmon every day Sometimes my wife buys half a fish at Publix and I wind up eating most of it, daughter doesn't like it and wife will have a small portion.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #24
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Hey Sanders ETAL, this is the best salmon I had in Alaska and here is the recipe: http://connierush.blogspot.com/2009/...int-lodge.html

I could eat salmon every day Sometimes my wife buys half a fish at Publix and I wind up eating most of it, daughter doesn't like it and wife will have a small portion.
Bookmarked.

Before I even clicked on the link, I figured it had to be made with sugar or molasses.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:25 AM   #25
aviator
unum de multis

That's at the Orca Point Lodge, I couldn't find a picture of their smokers but I saw an electric cable on them and the tube on the side so I'm sure they are pellet smokers, like four of them going on all the time. Also tried the Alaskan Amber beer for the first time there, I got sold on it. Fresh smoked salmon and great beer, doesn't get any better than that.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:22 AM   #26
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
That's at the Orca Point Lodge, I couldn't find a picture of their smokers but I saw an electric cable on them and the tube on the side so I'm sure they are pellet smokers, like four of them going on all the time. Also tried the Alaskan Amber beer for the first time there, I got sold on it. Fresh smoked salmon and great beer, doesn't get any better than that.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowFXoECAwQBg

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowFXoECAwQBg
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #27
Sanders

What's that green stuff on that plate? Looks like something my food would eat.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #28
aviator
unum de multis

Yup, that was the place. Nice quiet waterfront spot, wouldn't mind a place there for the summer.