Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Computer Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Computer Forum For questions and conversations about Computers and the Internet

Old 12-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
RTO
CoO moderator

Lightbulb Smart Home Automation

On Thanksgiving Day my daughter brought her Google Home smart speaker to show me and also play holiday music in the background throughout the day. I wasn't allowed to turn the Onkyo surround sound on because of my wife's rowdy siblings not acting their age.

My daughter has had her smart speaker for a few years now. She controls the Nest thermostat and inside and outside cameras with it. Her house is filled with smart light bulbs also.

I had to buy one and several stores had the Google Home mini on sale for $29.95 with a $10 rebate.

The smart speaker is fun to play with. The sound quality isn't great but sounds alright for it's size. We have it located in the kitchen so when busy the verbal commands are convenient.

So we want to add a smart thermostat and a few cameras for outside. The hold up right now is waiting for the Consumer Electronics Show in January to find out what new models are available plus we want a better smart speaker with more features.

I'm just curious about if you guys are using a smart setup and maybe get some ideas about available gadgets.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
Sanders

I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but I still prefer my appliances "dumb". My "smart" Maytag washer has already gone through 2 motherboards (yeah, it's a dang washing machine!) replaced under warranty.

I did order a Blink surveillance camera that works on a motion detector and wi-fi and sends alerts and video to my smart phone. Haven't received it yet, so I can't tell you how well it works. I might have to upgrade my phone, though. I noticed that the new GoPro upgrade is not compatible with my old Android OS anymore.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
RTO
CoO moderator

I don't believe that smart appliances that involve water are in my future. Our washer and dryer are twenty years old and I hope to find analog replacements when the time comes.
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
aviator
unum de multis

The only "automated" thing I have is my thermostat, which I can control from my cell phone anywhere in the world and it's quite handy. I've been away on a trip and set it to 80. just as I start on the way back I bring it down to 71 and the house is cold by the time I get there. I also have a 4Ter hard drive hooked up to my router and I can access files from anywhere.

I'm a bit skeptic about having something with a microphone in my house that is constantly hooked up to the net.

Je suis deplorable
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
RTO
CoO moderator

There is a switch to mute the mic on this model or just unplug it.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTO View Post
I don't believe that smart appliances that involve water are in my future. Our washer and dryer are twenty years old and I hope to find analog replacements when the time comes.
The repairman said if he has to come out again, he's bringing us a new washer.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
RTO
CoO moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
The repairman said if he has to come out again, he's bringing us a new washer.
That is the way to handle a problem washer, it must not be a Samsung.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:56 PM   #8
aviator
unum de multis

I try to fix my own appliances as long as I spend less than half its cost, otherwise I buy a new one.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote