Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 10-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #1
RetVet
Statistical Error

Default I.O. Nano kit with barrel from hell

Been ages since I built an AK and that Nano pistol kit needed to get done so I started on it yesterday.

Demil of the rear trunnion and trigger guard went perfect.

Demil of the front end is another story. Barrel pin came out fine, but pushing the barrel out left me with a bent pressing tool and a brass pad destroyed. Barrel didn't move a hair. I have it soaking in kroil now while I acquire a replacement barrel removal tool.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
Driswalds
Starcastle Champion

I always had trouble with the pin never the Barrel.
Driswalds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
Been ages since I built an AK and that Nano pistol kit needed to get done so I started on it yesterday.

Demil of the rear trunnion and trigger guard went perfect.

Demil of the front end is another story. Barrel pin came out fine, but pushing the barrel out left me with a bent pressing tool and a brass pad destroyed. Barrel didn't move a hair. I have it soaking in kroil now while I acquire a replacement barrel removal tool.
Geez kind of been some years since I did an AK my bro RetVet. but whatever the hay you need you let me know young feller.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
RetVet
Statistical Error

These Nano kits came from brand new Interordnance built firearms that for whatever reason were chopped to sell as parts kits. The barrel trunnion is marked with their company name. I suspect they machined the barrel holes on the tight side. The barrel pin came out okay, but took more effort than most of my builds.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
Sanders

The last Romy G kit I demilled I had to take to a machine shop to get the barrel pin out. They got pissed at me because they burned up 3 cobalt drill bits drilling it out. I didn't tell them about the 2 cobalt bits I burned up before I brought it to them.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

O.K. I read what the commie bloc did to save money on the barrel pins. As they drilled out the holes on the weapons their drills ever so slightly started wearing and shrinking in diameter.
America toss the drill get a new one Ruskies sharpen drill. Ruskies smart Americans stupid. The Ruskies simply made slightly smaller diameter pins and numbered them like #1 through #4.
New drill #1 pin. 50 AKs later #2 and so on. If someone grabbed a wider #3 going in a #1 AK? Sanders RetVet and 4th cursed to get the damn thing out.

ADD: Oh same with the barrels. I am talking fractionally now for size but same with the barrel and trunnion match. Numbered to fit.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:32 PM   #7
RetVet
Statistical Error

Between the kroil soaking and my new barrel pressing ram, the barrel came out.

Last time I built a AK I could do one in an hour or so. I spent a good deal of the day fighting this one. Riveting went great. Barrel pressed in perfect. So did the cross pin. The pinned rear sight block was loose and its retaining pin came out with a few taps. I replaced it with a larger one. The receiver is one Dink used to sell. Elk River?

Don't know how these firearms were demilled, but I suspect whoever did just through parts into bins and when it came boxing up a kit, random parts were grabbed.

The gas tube didn't fit at all. In fact I ended up having to grind a small rounded notch in the rear sight block along with shortening the tube a little to get it to go on. Still tight and will need more adjustment.

The top cover doesn't fit at the front and will need to be dicked with. The carrier slid in fine, but the piston bumps the gas block and some fitting is still needed there.

The recoil spring wire that loops onto the fixed one looks like it was ground off a bit leaving no small bend for the spring retainer to engage. Probably have to find a replacement.

Overall not a smooth build like those Romanian kits were.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #8
4thIDvet
slug

RetVet if you get in a bind P.M. me a picture of what you need as far as parts.
I have a few cases of AK parts in storage I will probably be sitting getting judged by Jesus and someone will wonder what the hay the stuff is.
Check the barrel on some of the AKs and damn I forget which country? and you can see 4 numbers where it connects close to the trunion. Those are pin size, barrel to trunnion size like I explained for future quick reference for field gunsmith repairs.
No charge just let me know what yah need. Been yrs. since I did an AK have to look at a picture.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #9
RetVet
Statistical Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
RetVet if you get in a bind P.M. me a picture of what you need as far as parts.
I have a few cases of AK parts in storage I will probably be sitting getting judged by Jesus and someone will wonder what the hay the stuff is.
Check the barrel on some of the AKs and damn I forget which country? and you can see 4 numbers where it connects close to the trunion. Those are pin size, barrel to trunnion size like I explained for future quick reference for field gunsmith repairs.
No charge just let me know what yah need. Been yrs. since I did an AK have to look at a picture.
Thanks! I've got a lot of spare parts, but I doubt I have that recoil spring wire. I got the carrier running smooth now. No time this week to fiddle with it more.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:53 AM   #10
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
Thanks! I've got a lot of spare parts, but I doubt I have that recoil spring wire. I got the carrier running smooth now. No time this week to fiddle with it more.
Let me make a note and check for yah RetVet. I will get back to yah.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #11
ashhoe

I stacked AK parts kits when they were cheapy cheap.
Need to start building them back up.
I see a Bulgarian folding AK74 kit just like mine on gunbroker for $4K
My Yugo kits with MINT original barrels all safely tucked away.
RPK kits snuggled in.
$69 for a romy with the paper in the barrel?, send me 20.
All that until the horrific lawn mower accident, all gone.
How could I be so foolish?
Oh yea, the minty mint Polish underfolding kit, I had moments in my past when I made fantastic decisions.
STG58, Soumi, STEN, PPSH, G3 and the others all lost in that life changing lawn mower accident.
I had moments in my past when I made poor decisions.
Don't drink and mow, word from the wise.
ashhoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:47 AM   #12
Wraith
Soul Collector
V:force Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhoe View Post
I stacked AK parts kits when they were cheapy cheap.
Need to start building them back up.
I see a Bulgarian folding AK74 kit just like mine on gunbroker for $4K
My Yugo kits with MINT original barrels all safely tucked away.
RPK kits snuggled in.
$69 for a romy with the paper in the barrel?, send me 20.
All that until the horrific lawn mower accident, all gone.
How could I be so foolish?
Oh yea, the minty mint Polish underfolding kit, I had moments in my past when I made fantastic decisions.
STG58, Soumi, STEN, PPSH, G3 and the others all lost in that life changing lawn mower accident.
I had moments in my past when I made poor decisions.
Don't drink and mow, word from the wise.
Damn! What in Gods name are you using for a lawn mower???
Wraith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:48 AM   #13
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Damn! What in Gods name are you using for a lawn mower???
Old 10-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #14
ashhoe

It was a dark and stormy afternoon.....
ashhoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #15
4thIDvet
slug

Default RetVet. Sad news.

I just went through two boxes of parts and be damned no spring. I am so sorry. But if their is anything else I can help you with Please let me know brother.
Tim 4th From the swamp.