Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopshot View Post
Bet ya can't make a router table out of it.
That was too cool...

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I have a Weber gas grill and have had it for about 16 or 17 years. I have replaced the grates twice, the flavorizing bars once, and the igniter once.

It's old and ugly, but keeps on ticking.
Flavoring bars, that's what they call it. I use a match to get it going, the igniter fell apart long time ago. But as long as parts are found I'm keeping it. My son bought a fancy one from Home Depot, all stainless steel, very pretty and fancy but didn't last more than 4 years.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
Sanders

I have a Kenmore (Sears) gas grill and an old Sunbeam charcoal grill.

I was out of propane the other day, so fired up the charcoal grill.

You can get both for free or close to it on Craigs List.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
GBob01
Coonass Crusader

Just do what I did, buy one of each. Or just get one of these, gas on one side, charcoal on the other and a burner to keep the beans warm.
GBob01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBob01 View Post
Just do what I did, buy one of each. Or just get one of these, gas on one side, charcoal on the other and a burner to keep the beans warm.
that's a nice unit. a side mount firebox would be the cat's ass.
flopshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
GBob01
Coonass Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopshot View Post
that's a nice unit. a side mount firebox would be the cat's ass.
it has one, but sold seperately
GBob01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #22
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

I have a small electric grill for use in the house when it's too dang cold out to grill mammal flesh properly.

I also have a gas grill that was given to me, but I've never used it..... My son gave me a new burner for it, but I've never even installed that either. I don't really like gas grills.

Now that the kids are grown & moved out, we mostly use a Weber 'Smokey Joe'. Small, easy to use charcoal grill that works well on the end of the picnic table.

I also have my 'redneck grill'. It's an old 55 gallon drum (never held petroleum products). I made a stand for it, got a couple stainless steel oven racks from an old stove, installed a handle and a pair of hinges, cut it up with my chop saw and 'viola'! It works great for grilling a lot of meat for groups of people.

If I have a lot of time, I also have a Brinkmann smoker.

The key to grilling is, taking your time and not letting the fire get too hot.

As far as charcoal, I usually use Kingsford 'Mesquite' flavor charcoal. Once in a while, I change things up and use their 'Hickory flavor' charcoal. I have a few short lengths of apple, cherry and mesquite tree branches in the shed that i cut up and split into chunks to soak in water when I really want more 'flavor' than the mesquite or hickory charcoal gives. If you don't have any access to these types of tree branches, Wal*Mart sells bags of wood chips for use in grills & smokers. Soak 'em good & wrap in aluminum foil and toss on top of the charcoal or burner (in a gas grill).

The one thing I really like about the small Weber grill is, I can shut the vents (so the fire burns out), to save charcoal once the meat is done. I can't do that with my 'redneck grill' or the smoker.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #23
DirtySteve
Starship Legend Champion

Most grilling I do is all Kingsford plain charcoal, but specialty items sometimes call for a small base of Kingsford, in the charcoal chimney with lump natural charcoal on top for forge-like heat for steaks 'n such. When the coals are all singin' in about 25min, it all gets dumped into the Weber and arranged according to my particular needs at the time. IMHO, lighter fluid leaves a distinct accent on the food that I didn't realize until I tried the Weber chimney.....Btw Klauss, congrats on the new house brother!!
DirtySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Here ya go Klauss. Cheap & easy to make yourself.

http://www.dirtydozensbunker.com/showthread.php?t=96701
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #25
Gus

I always used a natural gas grill in Texas.

Also made a device to add mesquite wood chips to after I soaked them in water about a half hour.

Used two small cast iron skillets bolted together opening to opening where I could swing them open to add wet mesquite wood chips.

Drilled lots of small holes in the top skillet for smoke to escape, no larger then 3/32".

This kept the chips from igniting (going up in flame) and was easy to clean, just dump the mesquite ashes out when through.

We like mesquite barbeque on everything, ribs, steaks, hamburgers etc.

Where I worked we had access to a large barbeque on a tandem trailer, all employes could use it, it was the real deal, the way Texans barbeque, but large an impractical for backyard work.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #26
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
I always used a natural gas grill in Texas.

Also made a device to add mesquite wood chips to after I soaked them in water about a half hour.

Used two small cast iron skillets bolted together opening to opening where I could swing them open to add wet mesquite wood chips.

Drilled lots of small holes in the top skillet for smoke to escape, no larger then 3/32".

This kept the chips from igniting (going up in flame) and was easy to clean, just dump the mesquite ashes out when through.

We like mesquite barbeque on everything, ribs, steaks, hamburgers etc.
That sounds like a good idea. I like the smoke flavor, but I don't like any ashes floating up on the meat being cooked.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #27
bounce
Senile Member

I've gone out and found the best looking grills every third thursday on the side of the road for garbage pickup.....it's usually a quick visit for a burner refurrb.....allow me to insert a Hank Hill "propane" song:

bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #28
klauss
Poof no eyebrows

Bringing this thread back

At some point we are talking about putting in a brick barbecue/ grill. Anyone ever done these or have one? We are thinking about doing it when we put in a patio or deck.

I know they can be expensive but its for a potential project at least a year away.

Anything I should know about before we get to really planing on this?

Heîs oiōṇs áristos, amưnesthai peŕ pátrēs- "There is only one omen, to fight for one's country"
klauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #29
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

fire brick box is mandatory. a gas burner for starting charcoal would be nice as well as the option of gas cooking as well. most brick is not suitable for horizontal exposure to the elements so go with a stone cap or other surface. i've modified several Weber units for a "built in" look and i know there are dedicated units for just such applications. considering the expense of a custom unit make sure you have at least one side burner and under unit storage. if you are leaning towards charcoal only make sure your grates are on steroids. charcoal grates go first. cooking grates: if you could go with a stock Weber 1/4" stainless grate you'll be able to get replacements easily down the road. outdoor kitchens have evolved to an entire new level with cooking, plumbing and cold storage options like i've never imagined.
flopshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #30
aviator
unum de multis

Old resurrected thread, My wife got me a new Weber four burner gas grill a few months ago I'm still keeping the old one, will convert it to charcoal.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote