Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 04-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Sanders

Flashing Arrow Proof your stockpiled ammo

Remember when you could buy 7.62x51 surplus ammo at really good prices? Many of us stockpiled it deep when it was cheap. When was the last time you checked it out?

Went out this morning to get some recoil therapy using the M-14. I wanted to check out some .308 I reloaded last week or so, but had to empty some mags first.

Since the easiest way to empty a magazine is to pull the trigger, I settled in to a seated position up on the side of hill to shoot some rocks at 300-600 yards across the valley. Ammo was Santa Barbara (Spanish) with 1963 headstamp. It would fire all right, but felt anemic. Rounds were hitting way low at 300 yds. The brass would eject, but there wasn't enough force to drive it back far enough to strip the next round, so I had to cycle through manually. At first, I though I had the gas shut off, but it would not have been ejecting the brass.

The ammo has been stored in a temperature controlled environment with no moisture, inside a sealed ammo can. It used to cycle through the M14 just fine.

I figure it will work all right in the FAL, if I adjust the gas down. Didn't have the FAL with me, though.

My reloaded ammo (148 gr. surplus FMJ on top of Accurate 2520 w/ CCI large rifle primers) was tits-dead-on, and cycled the bolt just fine*. I wasn't shooting paper, but it was whacking the basketball sized rock at 400 yards as measured by the Mark-I eyeball.

*I had one dud primer in the lot of 50 I shot.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
buzgun
slug

I have some south african surplus brass cased 5.56 that was stored in my garage (HOT summer temps?)in ammo cans that seems to have degraded in its power......it doesnt cycle in all my AR's
Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
Sanders

If I can't make it work in the FAL, then I'll pull the bullets and re-charge with new powder. They are Berdan primed, but it isn't the primers that aren't working, just degraded performance of the powder.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
RetVet
Statistical Error

Hmmm? I have some Portuguese and Australian 308. Haven't shot any of either in a long time. Guess I should pull an FAL out some time and check.

I still have a lot of Turkish 8mm, late 1930's dated. But that's bolt action ammo and plinker crap to boot.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
dinkydow

Corrosive powder in Berdan primed cartridges has a shelf life... of just about forever. Smokeless powder has a, "best if used by date," after that it is retrograde. The FPS begins to drop.

I have fired 8mm that was loaded during WWI and it seemed like it had plenty of ginger left in it. It was corrosive.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Dannyboy

Several years back I fired some .30 FMJ ball that was date stamped 1943 through my Garand and they cycled fine. I was surprised to see them go through a Pine tree about 14-16 inches in diameter at approx. 40 yards.

That said a lot for quality control of Lake City back in those days!
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I still have a box of .30-40 Craig blanks, milspec issue.

The oldest MilSpec .06 I've fired was a 1923 round.
It was almost a dud, burnt out in three places on the shoulder.
Bullet made it out the barrel, skipped across the ground 50' from the muzzle.
I was damned glad it was out of a bolt action.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
Legion489
Dud

There is no "corrosive smokeless powders", only corrosive primers. The primer mix has, well OK, I could list the compound, but let's make it easy here and say sodium, which is basically, but not quite, plain salt. Don't want to get up and look up the proper name of the sodium compound. Yes i know the military made us clean the rifles three days in a row to get rid of "Corrosive Compounds", but it was not the powder that made them rust.

The mercury primers are what makes the original black powder cartridges and WWI cases brittle when fired. With black powder there is so much powder being burned that the mercury didn't have much chance to wreck cases, but it never hurts to drop them in water to clean them anyway, although that does not keep the mercury from wrecking the cases (make the brass brittle), but they are far easier to clean later. If you don't think mercury doesn't hurt cases, just get some metal cleaner at the store that has mercury in it and clean a case, some back in a week and it is brittle.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
baboon
slug

Y'all seen the Malaysian 7.62 that's currently on the market? I got 2 cans coming tomorrow.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
REDOAK
Intelligent Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Y'all seen the Malaysian 7.62 that's currently on the market? I got 2 cans coming tomorrow.
Is that in the .50 cans or the .30 cans?
REDOAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOAK View Post
Is that in the .50 cans or the .30 cans?
http://www.sgammo.com/product/308-wi...-grain-bi-meta
Old 08-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
I saw AIM had some for sale.

It's always iffy with some of that 3rd world surplus. Remember when Indian .308 was hit or miss? The older stuff was actually the better stuff. The 80's manufactured (tar baby) was blowing people's rifles up.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #13
REDOAK
Intelligent Posterior

The Malaysian 7.62 sold in the .50 cans appears to be in better condition than the stuff in the .30 cans. I'm neck deep in ammo right now, so I'm not buying any more.
REDOAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #14
baboon
slug

I figured it's good ammo because my buddy has ran it in his M-60. He's got more money to loose in his M-60 then my G3K.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #15
belt-fed

win I play with mg42 in 8mm I use 1953 yugo get duds off and on no big deal
win it was cheap got a shit load of it
win it's in 7.62 use wolf steel case she loves it then she's a fire breathing dragon
belt-fed is online now   Reply With Quote