Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 10-02-2016, 03:57 AM   #46
4thIDvet
slug

Yup my Lees virtually need no adjustments once set. Very seldom switching to a different company brand of shells they need a slight two minute tweaking then back to loading..
Wish I could move my crippled old ass I would have loved to try that cowboy action shooting.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #47
Scavenger

I just bought one of these Lee Challenger presses from an estate sale to start getting into reloading but it is missing the powder measure and a few other things. It just has the press and the scale. Should I look to get this complete set or get something else? I am looking to reload from 9mm up to 300 Win Mag and 30-06.
Scavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #48
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
I just bought one of these Lee Challenger presses from an estate sale to start getting into reloading but it is missing the powder measure and a few other things. It just has the press and the scale. Should I look to get this complete set or get something else? I am looking to reload from 9mm up to 300 Win Mag and 30-06.
A powder measure is invaluable. Although, after you get it dialed in, it is still a good practice to proof about every 5th round on your scale.

Another essential tool is a caliper. You can pick up a digital one for around $25, but I used a cheap plastic one for years and never had any problems. You have to make sure you keep a consistent case length before you start reloading and then the right over all length (OAL) on the finished product.

You will also want to get a case length trimmer. You can either get a bench-mounted unit or a little Lee set for the caliber case you are working with.

Reloading really is not a cheap hobby to get into, but the long term savings pay for the initial setup over time. I do keep an eye on ammo prices, and when it gets to where I can buy practice ammo cheaper than reloading, I go that direction. Except for precision rifle rounds - no way are you going to get as accurate loads from the factory ammo as what you can put together yourself.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:26 PM   #49
55chevy

Quote: "Another essential tool is a caliper. You can pick up a digital one for around $25,"
Major problem with cheap digital very nears. They typically will not repeat every time going back to zero. Some thing to pay attention too.
55chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #50
Legion489
Dud

Much as I hate t disagree with noylj, the Lee presses are junk and Lee DOES NOT stand behind them. Period. At least they don't the Lee LOAD (of some thing all right) MASTER POS press. LOAD OF CRAP! Sure Lee makes some great stuff, dies, lube, bullet lube (Z-Bart and look on Egay for MUCH cheaper prices!), primer seaters, but the pot metal (OK aluminum junk) presses are not one of them. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker that is 40+ years old. Works like a champ! Show me ANY Lee press that is over 10 years old and subjected to who knows how many thousands of rounds that still works, PERIOD! Go to the Lee reloading sites on the web and see what THEY hav to say about Lee presses, and they LIKE Lee!

As to cheap calipers, the $10 Harbor Freight ones I bought are as accurate as my precision calipers I use for work. At 1/10th the cost. Also the Dillion calipers I bought were the same thing. I was very disappointed as I spent a lot of money to have Dillion put a sticker on the Chinese calipers.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #51
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion489 View Post
Also the Dillion calipers I bought were the same thing. I was very disappointed as I spent a lot of money to have Dillion put a sticker on the Chinese calipers.
I got the Hornady one, and it is the same thing - cheap made in China with a Hornady sticker on it.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #52
Legion489
Dud

I should say I LOVE the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd ed. I should, I rewrote it for Lee, typically I got no credit and poor Dick Lee (and he is one) was whining in the book about how he wrote a guy about something the guy wrote and the guy added what Dickie said but Dick didn't get any credit. What a POS! Of course you need to ignore the 32 (or more) times Dick lies through his teeth about the warranty (try sending a press back to Lee, they DO NOT STASND BEHIND ANY OF THEM!) and the "Love it or your money back" guarantee that is a total lie! Later they changed that to "money back but only if bought from authorized dealer" due to too many (as in 99% sold) being returned.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote